Cancelled Becker conversion panzers - Mk. VI variants

ArmchairSamurai

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Hello all.

I have been digging into Alfred Becker's conversions of captured vehicles during the war and I came across an anomaly that maybe one of you could better inform me on. I noticed several websites have mentioned another version of the 10.5 cm leFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI (e), namely with a 15 cm sFH 13 instead, and yet they seem to be quoting each other verbatim, so I am not sure if this is real or conjecture.

https://www.nevingtonwarmuseum.com/baukommando-becker.html
https://peoplepill.com/people/alfred-becker

https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/ww2/nazi-germany/10-5cm-lefh-16-auf-geschutzwagen-mk-vie/

^^the comments on this page indicate I am not the only one to have heard of this tank^^

Though try as I might, I cannot find any photos of this tank. The best I have found is a photoshopped artist's interpretation. Has anyone else heard of this tank? If the claims are true, and 6 Mark VIs were converted to carry the 15 cm sFH 13, it seems odd that no photos have cropped up over the years, while there are many of the 10.5cm leFH 16 variant. Thoughts?

Also, captured Mark VIs were slated to be panzerjagers (?) as well, evident by the photos I attached over what appears to be a factory conversion, though incomplete. (Note the 10.5cm leFH 18 (Sf.) auf Geschützwagen FCM 36(f) in the background) I cannot find any further information on this either aside from these two photos and a few bits about the designation. The origin of this other conversion and why it was cancelled seems to be a mystery all the same.

Attachments

• Geschutzwagen Mk.VI (e) sFH 13 (15 cm).jpg
    Geschutzwagen Mk.VI (e) sFH 13 (15 cm).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Panzerjager Mk VI 736(e) -- Prototype.jpg
    Panzerjager Mk VI 736(e) -- Prototype.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 77
  • Panzerjager Mk VI 736(e) -- Prototype 2.jpg
    Panzerjager Mk VI 736(e) -- Prototype 2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 74
That Carden-Lloyd chassis looks seriously over-loaded.

The 15 cm sFH 13 claim comes from Walter J. Spielberger, who in one of his old Beutepanzer books stated that 12 Mark VIs were modified to carry the 10.5 cm leFH 16 and 6 were modified to carry the 15 cm sFH 13. Spielberger got the number wrong, however, only six 10.5 cm leFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI (e) were made according to Jentz, so the 15 cm claim might not be entirely accurate either. Jentz and Doyle also don't mention it in any of their books.

Last edited:
The 15 cm sFH 13 claim comes from Walter J. Spielberger, who in one of his old Beutepanzer books stated that 12 Mark VIs were modified to carry the 10.5 cm leFH 16 and 6 were modified to carry the 15 cm sFH 13. Spielberger got the number wrong, however, only six 10.5 cm leFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI (e) were made according to Jentz, so the 15 cm claim might not be entirely accurate either. Jentz and Doyle also don't mention it in any of their books.

Interesting, thank you. I figured it was likely conjecture. If you compare the 15cm sFH 13/1 (Sf) auf Geschützwagen Lorraine Schlepper (f) to the the 10.5 cm leFH 16 auf Geschutzwagen Mk.VI (e), I would not doubt if the latter were actually loaded with the sFH 13 then the gun would stick out over the tank's hull and make it a bit top-heavy anyway.

But what of the panzerjager variant?

Back
Top Bottom