Luftwaffe: Secret Jets of the Third Reich

Justo Miranda said:
LKp N101 Netzkopfhaube-Lightweight Netting Helmet with Fighter Mask Model 10-69

On the subject of the helmet, I wasn't sure whether the one in the LP13A image was this one or not. It didn't look quite right. Here's a better drawing which is definitely in-period. The full Natter brochure with 15 similar drawings in it can be found elsewhere on the web but for some reason this one image, clearly from the same set, doesn't appear in it. Presumably it was extracted to appear in the British intelligence report and not put back together with the rest of the document...

Attachments

• Natter1.jpg
    Natter1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 24
  • Natter2.jpg
    Natter2.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 25
Thanks for your detailed and interesting answers! :D The Pilot in the Natter seems a wear a "Netzhaube". Pictures showing L. Siebert entering the Natter at the first and only flight show that he weared also a Netzhaube.
Concerning the archives: It is true that many treasures may rest in german archives. We have to find them! But I was referring not only to technical aspects but also on the people, decisions, orders ... A fellow colleague, Günter Nagel, wrote a very interesting book about the weapons research done by the Heereswaffenamt and a second one about the SS-Weapons (Himmlers Waffenforscher). Hereto he used all material that he could find in germany. But here we can´t get any further without using sources from the US or Russia I´m afraid.
Greetings
Athpilot

newsdeskdan said:
Justo Miranda said:
While you're looking at Ein Dreieck Fliegt, have a look at the 3-view of the P 13 b at the top of p103 (p90 in the English version 'The Delta Wing - History and Development'). You'll notice that the cockpit is blacked out in all three views. Now why do you suppose that is?

No takers? Well the answer is it's blacked out because there's something there in the original picture which the compiler of images for Ein Dreieck Fliegt wanted to cover up...

newsdeskdan said:
newsdeskdan said:
Justo Miranda said:
While you're looking at Ein Dreieck Fliegt, have a look at the 3-view of the P 13 b at the top of p103 (p90 in the English version 'The Delta Wing - History and Development'). You'll notice that the cockpit is blacked out in all three views. Now why do you suppose that is?

No takers? Well the answer is it's blacked out because there's something there in the original picture which the compiler of images for Ein Dreieck Fliegt wanted to cover up...

Well, you've got to tell us now...

:D

Nick Sumner said:
newsdeskdan said:
newsdeskdan said:
Justo Miranda said:

Well, you've got to tell us now...

:D

The person seated in the cockpit was drawn, for some reason, to resemble Lippisch himself. It's not particularly unflattering but it does look a bit... odd. Sadly the drawing is unsigned.

athpilot said:
Thanks for your detailed and interesting answers! :D The Pilot in the Natter seems a wear a "Netzhaube". Pictures showing L. Siebert entering the Natter at the first and only flight show that he weared also a Netzhaube.

Here

Attachments

• img279.jpg
    img279.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Asbestos Mipolamfibre special protective clothing for the rocket fighters.

Attachments

• img280.jpg
    img280.jpg
    329.5 KB · Views: 16
  • img281.jpg
    img281.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 18
  • img283.jpg
    img283.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 21
Are there any copies of this first issue still available? Trying to buy the set for a friend, I can only find a couple secondhand at around £20 each (that's 3 times the original cover price for a new copy) but I'd prefer to give my friend a shiny new copy.

steelpillow said:
Are there any copies of this first issue still available? Trying to buy the set for a friend, I can only find a couple secondhand at around £20 each (that's 3 times the original cover price for a new copy) but I'd prefer to give my friend a shiny new copy.

Sorry, as I think I mentioned somewhere else (Luftwaffe: Secret Bombers thread?) this one sold out about a year ago. The only physical example left at Mortons that I'm aware of is my well-worn reference copy. No reprint planned.