Low Boom Flight Demonstration (LBFD) Aircraft

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
The Skunk Works is to build a single, piloted LBFD aircraft which is shown here.
LBFD: Low Boom Flight Demonstrator
6/25/14 – contract award
By federal law there can be no commercial supersonic transports traversing the contiguous United States. This is the primary reason the government cancelled the U.S. Supersonic Transport (SST) program in (date) and the reason the doublesonic British/French Concorde SST wasn’t allowed to cross over U.S. territory when it was operating.
NASA – in particular its NASA-Langley Research Center in Hampton, Virginia has continued to investigate the flight of aircraft with low sonic boom levels as part of its Structures, Materials, Aerodynamics, Aerothermodynamics and Acoustics Research and Technology (SMAAART) program.
To do this in part it tasked the Skunk Works® with low sonic boom technology work with the award of a contract on June 11, 2014. This contract calls for the creation of a Low Boom Flight Demonstrator (LBFD) aircraft.
The LBFD aircraft is to be a piloted air vehicle that will be flown to measure sonic boom levels over select communities. And under the NASA SMAAART program it is hoped that federal regulations governing acceptable sonic boom levels can be developed through the flight testing of the LBFD air vehicle.
-SP

Attachments

• ADP Low Sonic Boom-small.jpg
    ADP Low Sonic Boom-small.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 277
I hadn't realized the contract was awarded that long ago. I thought they were still competing the Lockheed and Boeing designs? Or is that the original contract for Lockheed's submission?

Edit:
OK, that's the old announcement for their design along with Boeing's design. I think that information is already on this site, should have done a search first.

Here's the Aviation Week article on it.

Sundog said:
I hadn't realized the contract was awarded that long ago. I thought they were still competing the Lockheed and Boeing designs? Or is that the original contract for Lockheed's submission?

Edit:
OK, that's the old announcement for their design along with Boeing's design. I think that information is already on this site, should have done a search first.

I did search the site to no avail. -SP

Steve Pace said:
Sundog said:

Edit:

I did search the site to no avail. -SP

I think they might be in one of the bomber threads that we had with all of the low boom designs. I supposed it's about time we had a separate thread dedicated to this program. ;)

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,11630.msg225874.html#msg225874

Sundog said:
No need to apologize, I could not remember where to look for it either.

Agreed! We are not all experts at where to put what... Aside from the obvious cases when a simple search would bring up clear results, there are dozens of cases when a simple search does not produce any satisfactory answer... even when we know that there is something out there already!

Skyblazer said:
Sundog said:
No need to apologize, I could not remember where to look for it either.

Agreed! We are not all experts at where to put what... Aside from the obvious cases when a simple search would bring up clear results, there are dozens of cases when a simple search does not produce any satisfactory answer... even when we know that there is something out there already!
Thanks, guys!

Back
Top Bottom