Louis Wattier Transatlantic Flying Boat Project of 1927

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

Mr. Clarence D. Chamberlin was American as in Aerofiles site,and he designed a four engined parasol-wing transatlantic
flying boat monoplane Project of 1927,it's unknown one ?.

L'Air Revue 1927

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    555.8 KB · Views: 86
  • 2.png
    2.png
    318.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 2-2.png
    2-2.png
    304.8 KB · Views: 41
I'm fairly certain that Clarence Chamberlin had nothing to do with this concept ... Chamberlin and Lindbergh are simply mentioned as contemporary trans-Atlantic aviators in the into. The article seems to be just a general discussion of what would be needed for the design of trans-Atlantic flying boats.

The caption beneath the 3-view drawing reads something like: "Flying boat-hulled seaplane "Hydro-lest" Wattier. Power 2600 hp. Weight 24 tonnes." I have no idea what 'Hydro-Ballast' might refer to in this context but Wattier is a fairly common French surname. My guess is that this drawing is of a general flying boat concept devised by a certain Monsieur Wattier. If so, we need a new title for this thread ... and hopefully some clues as to who this M. Wattier might have been.

Correct. This concept is the work of Louis Wattier, there are several patents in his name. One patent is for the hydro-ballast system, tanks in the hull that fill with water to improve stability on the water and which are emptied using compressed air prior to take-off.
The thread title needs to be changed.

Last edited:
Thank you my dears Apophenia and Schneiderman,

I used the Google translate,but I think he was a French,right ?.

That is a giant parasol wing high above the water-line.
Outer wing panels do fold to reduce width/beam in harbour, but the wing still raises the centre of gravity and acts as a sail in cross-winds.
Even with patented water-ballast tanks, I am skeptical about how stable that hull could be in cross-winds. At minimum, I would prefer harder chines ... more bouyancy farther outboard.