Looking for info on 'Turreted' prototype of French AMX 105 / Mk.61 SPG

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G’day Gents

Just finished reading through one of my old (and favorite!!) books An Illustrated Guide to Modern Tanks and Fighting Vehicles, Lansdowne Press, 1980
I am looking for information - designation/name, pictures, drawings & tech data................. of a one-off (I think?) 'turreted' variant of the French AMX 105 / Mk.61 105mm Self-Propelled Gun, of the late 1950’s.
It had a 105mm/L? Gun in a 360-degree turret, the gun having an elevation of +70-degree and a depression of -7-degree. Eighty rounds of 105mm ammunition were carried. A 7.5mm anti-aircraft machine gun was mounted in a 360-degree cupola on the roof of the turret. Total combat weight was 17,000 kg (17 tons) and a crew of five.

The type was tested by the French and Swiss armies but was not adopted.Note: On Wikipedia (yes I know :mad: ), it makes mention of a AMX Mk 62 (AMX-105B) prototype with 105 mm howitzer in a turret and a AMX Mk 63 (AMX-105B, AMX Mk F2) prototype of Mk 62 with MG cupola fitted to turret! I'm not sure if these are the designations of the design I have read about?

The design sounds like it was a quantum leap over the original casement-type AMX 105 SPG, itself a variant of the venerable AMX-13 series!

Thanks in advance
Regards
Pioneer

Ok a mate of mine has just emailed me this picture of what he thinks is the 'Turreted' AMX 105 /Mk.61 SPG!

He says that from the information he has been given, that it is designated the AMX-105B (Mk.62)!

Here is hoping that this may jog someones knowledge and recollection of information.
Going by this picture, it looks somewhat of French FV433 Abbot SPG :eek:
Again I wonder what caliber the gun is? 105mm/L?

Regards
Pioneer

Attachments

• Swiss AMX 105 AM 105mm _ L30  SPH.jpg
    Swiss AMX 105 AM 105mm _ L30 SPH.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 469
Two pictures of what maybe the 'Turreted' AMX 105 /Mk.61 SPG, one is Swiss vehicle and other one is French vehicle. French vehicle seems like lost one its wheel.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 410
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 394
I believe 4 of these things were built and the "Mk 62" designation is actually model of 62, referring to the year of construction or introduction.

Thanks heaps Xiaofan for your pictures and Herman for your information!
Those picture look very similar (if not the same) to the one my friend forwarded me (and I have posted!)
Going by these picture, it sure looks more practical than the earlier original AMX-105 Mk.61!

Lets see what else we can find!

Regards
Pioneer