Looking for ABC program on Australia's impromptu cancellation of Dassault Rafale tender to select JSF/F-35

Pioneer

Seek out and close with the enemy
Reaction score
G'day all

I'm wondering if anyone knows the title of an ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) program that was done about the cancelling of the evaluation/tendering process of Dassault Rafale to replace the RAAF's F/A-18A/B Hornet's, when then Prime Minister John Howard enacted one of his notorious 'Captains Pick" of committing Australia to the JSF/F-35 program?
In the program, I think it's an official from Dassault who is interviewed about their tender process being impromptuly cancelled overnight, even though Dassault had spent $$$$ in it's efforts, as pet the tender process....

(Even better, if anyone knows if/where it might be on YouTube!)

Cheers in advance

Regards
Pioneer

G'day all

I'm wondering if anyone knows the title of an ABC (Australian Broadcasting Commission) program that was done about the cancelling of the evaluation/tendering process of Dassault Rafale to replace the RAAF's F/A-18A/B Hornet's, when then Prime Minister John Howard enacted one of his notorious 'Captains Pick" of committing Australia to the JSF/F-35 program?
There was no specific cancelling of the evaluation/tendering process of Dassault Rafale to replace the RAAF's F/A-18A/B Hornet's.

Project AIR 6000 was established in 1999 to replace the air combat capabilities provided by the F/A-18A/B and F-111 fleets. In 2002 the Government identified the Lockheed Martin F-35A JSF as the preferred option and joined the System Development and Demonstration (SDD) phase of the JSF Program as one of nine Partner Nations. At this time the project discontinued the competitive evaluation, which included the F-35, Rafale, Typhoon, Gripen. All bidders were treated the same.

It was also not a 'Captains Pick'. Rather the F-35 was seen by those in uniform and otherwise as by far the best selection both from the perspective of operational capability, future proofing and industrial benefit.