• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed's JAGM missile

SpudmanWP

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I guess with a 20+ lb warhead it won't matter much :)

Moose

Reaction score
I'm not horribly impressed with JAGM compared to earlier plans for it and the previous JCM. It's basically a Hellfire that combines millimeter wave radar and SALH guidance in once missile which is an improvement but Brimstone 2 already does that and provides an increase in range. Plus there is Spear 3 as well now which I believe has the tri-mode guidance they originally wanted.
B2 is only just in service for a couple years now after several delays, Spear 3 is a bit down the line. JAGM and the decision to move to an Incremental approach both predate their availability. The higher-spec JAGM weapons are still in the plan as future Increments, I1 is essentially confined to introducing a new guidance package so yes the spec isn't going to light the world on fire.

yasotay

Reaction score
I'm not horribly impressed with JAGM compared to earlier plans for it and the previous JCM. It's basically a Hellfire that combines millimeter wave radar and SALH guidance in once missile which is an improvement but Brimstone 2 already does that and provides an increase in range. Plus there is Spear 3 as well now which I believe has the tri-mode guidance they originally wanted.
Well it may not go further than a Hellfire or have any more targeting capability than Hellfires, but it did keep one JAGM increase - cost.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
The point of JAGM is an IM-compliant, cockpit selectable multi-effects warhead with heigh-of-burst capability.
The UK just started funding that capability for Brimstone.

Deino

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
JAGM off the bench (ie Incr1) is fast jet compatible with similar rail launcher that Brimstone uses. JAGM-F adapts Incr1 JAGM for ejector launcher.

Before you say "Brimstone", the easiest way to tell a JAGM from a Brimstone is that JAGM does not have forward fins and it's tail fin is nearly half of it's body length.

I don't want to nitpick, but usually the Chinese are accused of copying... looks very much like a KD-10A. :p;)

20190721_122210.jpg