Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic

Forest Green

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score

First US Navy carrier strike group to deploy with F-35C stealth fighters sails into the South China Sea​

pairoff35vinson_0.jpg

• The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group sailed into the South China Sea this week carrying stealth fighters.
  • The Carl Vinson is the first US Navy aircraft carrier to deploy with F-35Cs.
  • Chinese state-affiliated media criticized the carrier's arrival, calling it a "provocative deployment."

A deployed US Navy aircraft carrier sailed into the South China Sea this week carrying F-35 stealth fighters in a first for the service.

The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group departed San Diego early last month, making history at it sailed into the Pacific.

At that time, the Nimitz-class carrier USS Carl Vinson became the first US Navy aircraft carrier to deploy with an integrated air wing consisting of both fourth-generation F/A-18 Super Hornets and fifth-generation F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters.

First US Navy carrier strike group to deploy with F-35C stealth fighters sails into the South China Sea (yahoo.com)

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
"These contracts represent more than a 30% reduction in cost per flying hour from the 2020 annualized contract, and exemplify the trusted partnership and commitment we share to reduce sustainment costs and increase availability for this unrivaled 5th generation weapon system," Bridget Lauderdale, Lockheed Martin vice president, said.

Deltafan

Reaction score

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Can't help thinking - how many flying hours "8% cheaper", to recoup that $6.6 billion investment ? :p
Those F-35s will have to fly a lot to pay the large sum spent to make them fly cheaper.
33000 dollar the flying hour, saving 8% would save 2640 dollars.
A simple division give the following result
2820512.8 rounded: 2 820 513 hours.
Nearly 3 million hours.
Reminds me of Homer Simpson blowing Lisa room with fireworks. Looking at the devastation, all he can says is
"Geez, it's gonna take a lot of fireworks to clean up the mess done by these fireworks".
ROTFL

Last edited:

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@Archibald : The contract does include parts, infrastructure and training!

Separately, Lockheed said that the contract would include supporting base and depot maintenance, pilot and maintainer training while also covering supply chain management for part repair and replenishment.

Archibald

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
You guess, I'm lousy at maths. Blame my high school teacher, Mr Baisecourt (since you are french, you can appreciate the irony of how his name was appropriate - without our distinguished english members blowing a fuse at a silly or crass joke. It was his real name, I swear).

icyplanetnhc (Steve)

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
aiaa.seas.ucla.edu

I’m not sure if there is a dedicated JASSM thread, so I suppose I’ll post it here, maybe the Super Hornet thread as well.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
“We’ve got great interest here in Europe, [and] not only the competition ongoing with Finland. ... We have interest in three or four other countries that are talking to us right now,” Gary North, vice president of Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, said during a meeting with reporters.
Who the hell can it be (finger crossed that one is France)?

Portugal, Greece, Austria?

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
"A handful of F-35s can accomplish the same mission objectives, or desired effects, as it might take 12, 15, 20, 25 or more other aircraft."

This argument may cut both ways. Sure keeping on buying the F-35 is the better alternative, but if its so effective, why need a 1-1 replacement with legacy fleet.
You still need to be physically there with an asset covering airspace with regards to air combat. The ground threats have also changed and improved since the 90s and are likewise more effective. Any modern fight with a peer adversary is going to last a week or two and I would prefer to have more than just enough that is needed in a simulation.

Sure a f22 can defeat 6 migs but it can replicate itself to be everywhere at once. And so it is with the F-35.
Your el-cheapo fighter won't do you any good if all it does is show up to get shot down.
If you have read my previous posts I am ANTI CHEAPO fighter. I don't know how or by what rational train of thought you had from what I stated can lead anyone to your conclusion.
How are you going to buy multiple fighters for the price of one F-22 or F-35 if it isn't cheap?

timmymagic

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
“We’ve got great interest here in Europe, [and] not only the competition ongoing with Finland. ... We have interest in three or four other countries that are talking to us right now,” Gary North, vice president of Lockheed Martin Aeronautics, said during a meeting with reporters.

You'd think that there are preliminary discussions underway with Spain regarding a small number of F-35B.

Wyvern

Reaction score

Nations that come to mind are: Greece, Spain and Finland (they were already mentioned though, so I don't think they count)

Other possibilities are: France (maybe, but really depends on the politicians), Germany (unlikely), Romania (very unlikely), Portugal (maybe, but probably not)

This is all speculation on my part, by the way, this is in now way any sort of hard news.

bring_it_on

Reaction score
Greece has sent a formal LOR for F-35's and Spain surely would be part of any future discussion. The third would be Croatia which LM has previously recognized as an interested nation.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Croatia was given 12 ex-FrAF Rafale F3R. It would be surprising if they buy more.

Last edited:

Wyvern

Reaction score
I'll be surprised if they have the budget to do so. Apart from that, jumping from the MiG-21 to the Rafale was already a big jump, let alone jumping from teh MiG-21 to the F-35. I'll be honest, it doesn't make much sense for them.

Wyvern

Reaction score
Some more F-35 news. It seems that British and Italian F-35 fleets are going to get a weapons capability enhancement from BAE and MBDA:

Hood

Staff member
Reaction score
My money is on some of those nations being ex-Warsaw Pact nations, Romania maybe?
Spanish F-35Bs to put on the Juan Carlos?

timmymagic

Reaction score

You'd think that there are preliminary discussions underway with Spain regarding a small number of F-35B.
Other possibilities are: France (maybe, but really depends on the politicians), Germany (unlikely), Romania (very unlikely), Portugal (maybe, but probably not)

I would have thought that conversations with the German's were possible around a small fleet of F-35 for B-61 delivery. The SuperHornet/Growler deal hasn't been signed and has been very quiet to say the least recently. Truth is the costs of integration of B-61/12 to SuperHornet and the recent loss of conformal tanks may have given the German's cold feet....hope springs eternal that they go for 30 odd F-35 for the nuclear role (and learn a lot about LO operations before FCAS arrives) and buy more Typhoon in an EW version...

rooster

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score

First US Navy carrier strike group to deploy with F-35C stealth fighters sails into the South China Sea​

pairoff35vinson_0.jpg

• The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group sailed into the South China Sea this week carrying stealth fighters.
  • The Carl Vinson is the first US Navy aircraft carrier to deploy with F-35Cs.
  • Chinese state-affiliated media criticized the carrier's arrival, calling it a "provocative deployment."

A deployed US Navy aircraft carrier sailed into the South China Sea this week carrying F-35 stealth fighters in a first for the service.

The Carl Vinson Carrier Strike Group departed San Diego early last month, making history at it sailed into the Pacific.

At that time, the Nimitz-class carrier USS Carl Vinson became the first US Navy aircraft carrier to deploy with an integrated air wing consisting of both fourth-generation F/A-18 Super Hornets and fifth-generation F-35C Lightning II Joint Strike Fighters.

First US Navy carrier strike group to deploy with F-35C stealth fighters sails into the South China Sea (yahoo.com)
Whatever happened to the issue of the nose gear causing painful cat launches?