• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Also the graphic illustrate perfectly how LM and the services have reached a point where the number introduced yearly has now no impact on mission rate.

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
nice! we finally might see F-35s in something other than its usual grey stealth paint

I like the first 2 the best

but realistically I suppose they should try to do their best and mimic Russian and Chinese (maybe Iranian) colors?
in which case the Ghost scheme seems a bit closer to what the Russians might use for their production Su-57
the J-20 is overall not that different from the F-35's standard scheme
Iran currently uses a two toned sky blue scheme

fredymac

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
F-35C clip from IMAX Guardian of the Seas. Can't find a full length movie so far.

New Collins ad for gen III F-35 HMD. They don't make any mention of the switch to OLED lighting to eliminate the "green glow" problem.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@Grey Havoc : Don't forget that the F-35 among other things, has one less engine that is from a generation beyond and far less structural parts.
Many of the parts routinely accessed or damaged during operations are pannels and skin elements made of impregnated CFRP, that once produced in quantity can be deceptively cheap to manufacture, even with tight stealth tolerance standards.

Last but not least, let's not forget that low operatinal cost was part of initial requirements, even if the road to that has not been that easy. ;)

zebra159357

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
@Grey Havoc : Don't forget that the F-35 among other things, has one less engine that is from a generation beyond and far less structural parts.
Many of the parts routinely accessed or damaged during operations are pannels and skin elements made of impregnated CFRP, that once produced in quantity can be deceptively cheap to manufacture, even with tight stealth tolerance standards.

Last but not least, let's not forget that low operatinal cost was part of initial requirements, even if the road to that has not been that easy. ;)

I'm not sure they have actually attained that cost goal, especially given the still ongoing problems with the engine and other systems (and don't get me started on the unholy mess that is the software!). A lot of dubious accounting and such going on here I fear.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
No worries, that'll polish out. Th F-35 might take longer though, and a LOT of super glue. Jigsaw puzzle anyone?

RavenOne

Reaction score
1 F-35 lost. Pilot OK. KC-130J was able to make an emergency landing (some extensive damages apparantly) :

From Scramble.nl

View attachment 641734

I saw 6765 when it was over here, fortnight ago. It came into RAF Marham on Sunday after the VMFA-211 Wake Island Avengers arrived. Next thing I know , it’s gone U/S and at RAF Mildenhall ....so here is my photo of it on deck at Mildenhall on the 12th and of it departing on the 15th.

cheers

690D3A80-1F04-4862-9BC6-2B1F19784D3A.jpeg C2C5B3C2-0BF4-477F-B686-39D207E9BD16.jpeg

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Great emergency landing b/w. Seems that port wing had no engines running with all propellers shot off (as the pod).

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
The F-35 package comes with an estimated price tag of $6.58 billion, while the F/A-18 package with a price tag of $7.452 billion. Both those totals, if they represent final figures — and DSCA notifications often do not — would exceed the approved $6.5 billion budget for the program.
In addition, State pre-cleared Switzerland to purchase the Patriot air defense system, a contender for a complimentary ground-based capability. The five Patriot batteries come with an estimated $2.2 billion price tag.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
I hadn't even noticed that one. I guess the two of them in front have free beer for a great long while.

Last edited:

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Is that Herc salvageable? It looks like the crew did a great job putting her down. A pity the wheels weren't.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
They probably opted for a belly landing given the nature of the ground.
From some angles I see as if the fuselage is broken forward of the wing spar.

Mark Nankivil

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Is that Herc salvageable? It looks like the crew did a great job putting her down. A pity the wheels weren't.
Considering it landed in a plowed field, gear up was a better option of they even had a choice.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

jeffb

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
They probably opted for a belly landing given the nature of the ground.
From some angles I see as if the fuselage is broken forward of the wing spar.
I think they break their backs pretty regularly with these sorts of forced landings, especially if they hit hard. It looks like the left refueling pod's been ripped off at some point too. Will be interesting to hear the pilot's account (if we get it) as it's difficult to say how much damage is from the landing and how much from the collision based on 1 or 2 pics.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Pilots never see the outside world through the canopy; they see an image of it. Every manufactured canopy optically distorts the view of the outside world in a unique way. Aerial and ground targets viewed through head-up and helmet-mounted displays can be distorted by imperceptible deviations in canopy thickness, curves, and material. In other words, the canopy can have a direct effect on weapon accuracy. To mitigate this, every canopy is manufactured and verified to extremely tight tolerances. Each canopy is then optically mapped and matched to a specific aircraft as part of the assembly process, with optical deviation data stored in onboard systems to correct the pilot’s view of the outside world, in real-time

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Dear TomcatVIP and mkellytx,

Please use standard nomenclature: USN, USMC, USAF, FAA, SAE, etc..
All left and right, up and down, fore and aft are defined from the pilot's seat.
Ergo the left wing tip is always off the pilot's left shoulder along with the #1 engine and #2 engine.

In this accident, it looks like the F-35 over-shot his approach to the refueling drogue hanging under the right wing. He damaged the inboard, right-hand external fuel tank along with propellers on both the #3 and #4 engines.
Looks like the #1 propeller and left-most refueling pod were damaged on landing.

Fluff

Reaction score
Dear TomcatVIP and mkellytx,

Please use standard nomenclature: USN, USMC, USAF, FAA, SAE, etc..
All left and right, up and down, fore and aft are defined from the pilot's seat.
Ergo the left wing tip is always off the pilot's left shoulder along with the #1 engine and #2 engine.

In this accident, it looks like the F-35 over-shot his approach to the refueling drogue hanging under the right wing. He damaged the inboard, right-hand external fuel tank along with propellers on both the #3 and #4 engines.
Looks like the #1 propeller and left-most refueling pod were damaged on landing.
I always understood Port and starboard was the point, as apposed to left and right. Port and starboard is from the captains seat, as it started with ships. Port is left, for any ground pounders who have learnt to type, hopefully everyone else can work out which one is right.....