• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-35: News ONLY topic

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
F-35 MCR over different LRIP batches.
Certainly adds weight to the argument of going FRP.

View attachment 640124

Amazing. Let's also not forget all what this little airframe brings to the warfighter. The amount of innovations it packs could have left it in the low range of availability with no shame at all.

Reactions: GTX

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Also the graphic illustrate perfectly how LM and the services have reached a point where the number introduced yearly has now no impact on mission rate.

helmutkohl

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
nice! we finally might see F-35s in something other than its usual grey stealth paint

I like the first 2 the best

but realistically I suppose they should try to do their best and mimic Russian and Chinese (maybe Iranian) colors?
in which case the Ghost scheme seems a bit closer to what the Russians might use for their production Su-57
the J-20 is overall not that different from the F-35's standard scheme
Iran currently uses a two toned sky blue scheme

fredymac

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
F-35C clip from IMAX Guardian of the Seas. Can't find a full length movie so far.

New Collins ad for gen III F-35 HMD. They don't make any mention of the switch to OLED lighting to eliminate the "green glow" problem.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
@Grey Havoc : Don't forget that the F-35 among other things, has one less engine that is from a generation beyond and far less structural parts.
Many of the parts routinely accessed or damaged during operations are pannels and skin elements made of impregnated CFRP, that once produced in quantity can be deceptively cheap to manufacture, even with tight stealth tolerance standards.

Last but not least, let's not forget that low operatinal cost was part of initial requirements, even if the road to that has not been that easy. ;)

zebra159357

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
@Grey Havoc : Don't forget that the F-35 among other things, has one less engine that is from a generation beyond and far less structural parts.
Many of the parts routinely accessed or damaged during operations are pannels and skin elements made of impregnated CFRP, that once produced in quantity can be deceptively cheap to manufacture, even with tight stealth tolerance standards.

Last but not least, let's not forget that low operatinal cost was part of initial requirements, even if the road to that has not been that easy. ;)
I'm not sure they have actually attained that cost goal, especially given the still ongoing problems with the engine and other systems (and don't get me started on the unholy mess that is the software!). A lot of dubious accounting and such going on here I fear.