Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

Millenium 7*HistoryTech has this interesting video concerning the low availability rates of the F-35:

The F-35 is doomed to low readiness, if this doesn't change...

It would appear that just in time logistics is a serious problem for the F-35 especially in a war time situation especially if it's a prolonged war, in war time JIT logistics would appear to be false economy.

Just a cool picture:

75SQN%203.jpg.iieKorPnMZUZL89jwCUA.9EDI7rOR47.jpg

Alex Hollings from Sandboxx has just put out a video about the F-35 takeoff and landings from a Finnish highway:

On September 4, 2024, two U.S. Air Force F-35As from the 493rd Fighter Squadron conducted austere landing operations on a highway strip in Finland, only about 100 miles from the Russian border.
Let's talk about what this exercises was all about, and what it means for the future.

No doubt the Russians were paying very close attention to this exercise as it was only about 100 miles from the Russian border. One thing that will no doubt be of concern to the Russians is that the F-35 is wired to carry the B61 TN-bomb.

On another note the exercise included the Finnish airforces F/A-18A/B classic Hornets and since they are scheduled to be replaced by the F-35A block 4 in the near future I wonder if the Finns will donate them to the Ukrainians?

NMaude said:
On another note the exercise included the Finnish airforces F/A-18A/B classic Hornets and since they are scheduled to be replaced by the F-35A block 4 in the near future I wonder if the Finns will donate them to the Ukrainians?
I think the Finn ones were C/D models. They might have been later production with the uprated F404 engines too, I'm not entirely sure about that point.

Last edited:
I just checked the Hornet wikipedia page and you are correct. Since the F/A-18C/D Hornet has austere runway capabilities and can fly off highways and suitable roads this would be very handy for the Ukrainians to have.
It sounds like they've received a few upgrades over the years including for ASRAAM + JHMCS, they could probably be helpful to the Ukrainians if they were donated. A whole new fighter type is a difficulty to get pilots and support crew trained and get the logistics in place, but the classic Hornet probably would be a better choice than some of the weirder ideas of what fighters could be provided. I wonder how much operations the Ukrainian Air Force does from highways/roadways and how much is just shifting around aircraft from airfield to airfield to avoid the aircraft getting hit on the ground.

Last edited:
Drifting off topic as this is the F-35 thread, last I heard the plan is by the time the Finnish Air Force is finished with their Hornets they will be at the end of their fatigue life so probably (hopefully) only usable for museums and scrapping

The idea isn't new.

Currently Finland won't receive their first F-35 in country until 2026 per this https://ilmavoimat.fi/en/-/the-status-of-the-f-35-programme
90cbe46f-7032-ef0f-2291-238d8e1a7e9e

That means there won't be sufficient spare hornets aircraft available until around 2028 and maybe even later. That is a decent time from now, Ukraine could be operating 70+ F-16s by then.

You would also expect the worst and oldest airframes will be retired first, probably airframes the Ukrainians don't want anyway.

Drifting off topic as this is the F-35 thread, last I heard the plan is by the time the Finnish Air Force is finished with their Hornets they will be at the end of their fatigue life so probably (hopefully) only usable for museums and scrapping
Agree and the Finnish Defense Minister said as much last year.

MINISTER of Defence Antti Kaikkonen (Centre) on Thursday viewed that Finland will need its Hornet fighter jets in the coming years.

“If you look further into the future, when we get the new equipment at the end of the decade, the Hornets will be at the end of their life cycle. Their use value is starting to be pretty low,” he was quoted saying by Helsingin Sanomat.

By 2028 I'd rather see the USAF donate all the pre BLK 10 F-35s... Would certainly shake things up if the Ukraine mess is a still going.
EDIT: :Lot 10...

Last edited:
By 2028 I'd rather see the USAF donate all the pre BLK 10 F-35s... Would certainly shake things up if the Ukraine mess is a still going.

That would definitely have Putin and his toadies crapping their collective pants, I can see that happening in the near future as the F-35 has passed the 1,000th unit production milestone and the early block F-35s are now obsolescent. Giving them to the Ukrainians (Along with the spare parts, ground support equipment and needed training) would save the US the cost of upgrading or de-milling the early block F-35s.

The Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF) announced its helicopter carrier JS Kaga will conduct flight operations with F-35B Lightning II aircraft in California from October 5 to November 18.

Is that potentially 6 additional ones on top of the 6 extra ones already mentioned late May 2022 in Dutch press?
Or are it the same 6 extra ones (scenario which I assume to be more likely)?
Total for NL is now 46 + 6 = 52, or maybe 46 + 6 (2022) +6 (2024) = 58 ?

I just checked the Hornet wikipedia page and you are correct. Since the F/A-18C/D Hornet has austere runway capabilities and can fly off highways and suitable roads this would be very handy for the Ukrainians to have.
Road isn't necessarily austere. It's just less developed infrastructure-wise.
Austere capability includes more things - i.e. even lowered service/maintenance requirements, mobile maintenance units, etc.

Hornet is a STOL-capable aircraft with strong chassis - but that's it.

The U.S. State Department on Friday announced it has approved the sale of 32 F-35A Joint Strike Fighters to Romania in a deal worth roughly $7.2 billion.

Romania’s deal for the Lockheed Martin-made F-35s will also include F135 engines made by Pratt & Whitney for each jet and a spare engine.
[...]
If the deal is finalized, it could make Romania the third Eastern European country to fly the F-35, in addition to Poland and the Czech Republic.

This is an F-35 thread, not Japanese Aircraft Carrier thread. There are two separate threads where you could discuss those. It's not an ASAT or Kessler Syndrome thread either. It ain't hard keeping things on track.

Is that potentially 6 additional ones on top of the 6 extra ones already mentioned late May 2022 in Dutch press?
Or are it the same 6 extra ones (scenario which I assume to be more likely)?
Total for NL is now 46 + 6 = 52, or maybe 46 + 6 (2022) +6 (2024) = 58 ?

My understanding is that those are new additions.

Regarding the announcement that the UAE was willing to re-open talks to get the F-35, it seems we have a denial: