Lockheed Martin F-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter (JSF)

I've never bought into the idea that just because an A-10 driver transitions to an F-16 or Strike Eagle or F-35, that suddenly the pilot forgets how to work with JTAC and drop bombs and doesn't care about troops on the ground anymore.

F-35 to get internally carried hypersonic missiles:

Mako, the name derived from the fastest shark in the sea, is being pitched to the U.S. Navy by Lockheed Martin for its speed, affordability, and targeting versatility to hold many targets at risk.

According to Lockheed Martin officials, this is the first time the hypersonic has been publicly displayed since the beginning of its development over seven years ago. A graphic played by the company at the CoAspire booth shows what seems to be a U.S. Air Force F-35A launching six of the hypersonic missiles in quick succession from both external and internal mounts.

View: https://youtu.be/yHuigtCP3IU?si=df73lVVpZ_l3BBvJ

Naval News has an article about the Mako missile (There's no wikipedia article yet):

Lockheed Martin’s New Mako Hypersonic Missile Breaks Cover

Naval News learns about Lockheed Martin's newest hypersonic.​

Aaron-Matthew Lariosa 10 Apr 2024

Lockheed Martin and CoAspire unveiled the new Mako Multi-Mission Hypersonic Missile at Sea Air Space 2024 this week.
“For the US Navy, this is a multi-mission, highly capable system, highly survivable, affordable, so you’re going to hold many targets at risk with one weapons system that’s ready now,” Rick Loy, Senior Program Manager at the company’s Missile and Fire Control division told Naval News.
Mako, the name derived from the fastest shark in the sea, is being pitched to the U.S. Navy by Lockheed Martin for its speed, affordability, and targeting versatility to hold many targets at risk.

I've never bought into the idea that just because an A-10 driver transitions to an F-16 or Strike Eagle or F-35, that suddenly the pilot forgets how to work with JTAC and drop bombs and doesn't care about troops on the ground anymore.
Its not the Current Pilots that be forgetting how to do it.

But their replacements that will take their place withing 10 years that all the ground pounders who pay attention are worry bout.

Cause we all know every pilot who gets to sit in a combat craft did so cause they want to FIGHT other Fighters. Not many who has a choice go for the mudslinger or attack role. Everyone wants the sexy dogfighting role. Note using Dogfight in the catch all way of Aerial COMBAT with other fighters.

So where alot of people math out that if you have X hours to do either CAS or Dogfighting. And you join up to do dogfighting...

How likely are they to do more than the bare minimum on case and max out dogfighting?

Especially wth the Air Force infamously heavy Fighter Culture needing to be factor in that. And the last 20 years of A10s hit, the Fs miss, and the Bombers DELETE being seen just adding to it.

So the question be, How long will the former A10 squadron keep its Cas Culture when switch to F35s?

I personally give it bout 10 years, 15 tops after the switch going from the last such switch of F111s to F15Es.

An F-35I landing at Nevatim Airbase after yesterday's attacks. It's carrying an interesting pod or pylon under its wing, anyone know what it is?

View: https://twitter.com/i/status/1779370819660984692
That's just the pylon. Could be the SUU-96, or the air-to-ground pylon. It's not a pod, though, for sure.
Sorry for the cross forum linking.

Last edited:
So it's possible that F-35I's have already flown combat missions over Iran?

There is no indication that Israel has conducted air operations inside Iran.

Not at the moment however I don't think we'll have to wait long before we see Israel retaliate and the F-35Is will be front and centre in such an attack.

We have had confirmation before that the 35I already operated above Iran.

Rumors, not confirmation. The sources I could find about the claims of F-35s flying over Tehran, for example, did not look highly credible to me.

Last edited:
It seems to me like the USN tried to get a poor-man's A-12 out of the JSF by going with the larger wings and cramming as much extra fuel in it as they could. People will say they had to adapt it to CATOBAR use, which is true of course, but I wonder how much of the larger wing and other flight surfaces was strictly necessary for that.

I believe the larger control surfaces on the C are purely to lower the stall speed, though I also think the extra fuel over the A version is located in the larger wing tanks. C is still heavier with more drag, so I do not think it gets much of a range advantage over A.

You wouldn't have thought there'd be enough difference between the different B61s to necessitate separate qualification.

Mod 12 uses a guidance mode unavailable on other versions, and that probably involves unique PAL codes to enable. It also probably has minor separation differences since the tail assembly is different and all up weight is higher. I could easily see that necessitating a cert.

View: https://twitter.com/DLT649/status/1767260171447754859?s=20

assuming that guy's info is correct and that indeed only 68 F-35 are being procured for FY2025, (total DoD)
why is the number so much lower than 2022 figure? Has the whole logjam with the tech refresh not been resolved? Can it really run longer into fiscal 2025?

There are still software delays with Tech Refresh 3. I don’t think any F-35s have been delivered for half a year because of that, and they are running out of places to store them. Ironically during this hold up it finally was approved for full rate. But I believe the buys are going down as a result of the TR3 holdup.

Not re-engining the F-35 kind-of makes sense. The aircraft is unsuitable for the threat environment in Asia (that was obvious a decade ago) and now Europe and the Middle East. The reported ranges, even with the engine upgrade, are simply too short to operate without heavy tanker support - and those tankers won't be survivable during the high-intensity period of a conflict. Putting significantly more money into a dead-end airframe is a waste of money.

The A-10 versus F-35 debate is really very simple: A-10 costs something like half to a quarter the cost of the F-35 to operate. It probably has better combat availability too. For the combat environments where the A-10 works (which is common for the US military to fight in) the A-10 is just cheaper and does just as well, if not better. The USAF is already making numerous decisions based on money (see F-35 engine debate), so getting more airplanes for less has some appeal.

Yes, let's bring back WWI Spads! (and the great depression etc...)

190313-F-IO108-011.JPG

Airbus can certainly still open a line aside of their A320s.

Not re-engining the F-35 kind-of makes sense. The aircraft is unsuitable for the threat environment in Asia (that was obvious a decade ago) and now Europe and the Middle East. The reported ranges, even with the engine upgrade, are simply too short to operate without heavy tanker support - and those tankers won't be survivable during the high-intensity period of a conflict. Putting significantly more money into a dead-end airframe is a waste of money.
Is the solution possibly having widespread use of MQ-25 style smaller, LO tanker drones just like how it's envisaged in the Pacific scenario? It might not be enough for the Pacific but it`d certainly be enough for everywhere else in my book.

Yes, let's bring back WWI Spads! (and the great depression etc...)

190313-F-IO108-011.JPG

Airbus can certainly still open a line aside of their A320s.
Yes! And it's easier on everyone's wallet anyway. Those pesky warmongorers won't see what's coming for them, our revenge is due! They'll have to make do with somehow integrating biplanes into the 21st century warfare! Ahahahah!

There are still software delays with Tech Refresh 3. I don’t think any F-35s have been delivered for half a year because of that, and they are running out of places to store them.
Where exactly are they storing them? Is there a hangar at Fort Worth that is gradually filling up? I've not seen any photos of rows and rows of F-35 parked up there. I can understand why, if they are in a hangar, there will be no photos as the bad publicity would not be worth it.

Is the solution possibly having widespread use of MQ-25 style smaller, LO tanker drones just like how it's envisaged in the Pacific scenario? It might not be enough for the Pacific but it`d certainly be enough for everywhere else in my book.

F-35 range is perfectly adequate for any war that does not involve the PRC.

F-35 range is perfectly adequate for any war that does not involve the PRC.
And the PRC is debatable as well.

As is the F35s range is more then any other f-series thats not tge 15E even if they have tanks. Both the Falcons and Hornets need up to 3 tanks mission load depending to reach the F35s clean range. By doing so limiting their stores to basically the same as the F35.

Basically if the F35 has an issue with a mission range the F16/18/22 are a flat no go. Those all will need more tankers then we currently have.

Which leaves the F15s that have conformed tanks and the Bombers.

And that is the last thing that Lockheed wants right now, timmymagic.
Thats the thing. Are they getting delivered to units to 'get them off the lot' but not being formally/contractually handed over until TR-3 is resolved. Plant 4 is enormous, but I can't imagine that they have a lot of spare space to park 10's of F-35, and they can't shuffle them over to the far side as there isn't the storage there and its operational US military anyway.

Where are all these F-35? Given the production numbers it should be increasing by another aircraft circa every 2 days...

EDIT: Turns out someone has asked the question...apparently there were c60 in January undelivered. There could be a further 40 on top of that by now....100 F-35 parked up....quite incredible really. If as the article added by @TomcatViP is correct that September is likely as a date for delivery of a truncated TR-3 capability there could be another 70 F-35 parked up by then....

170 brand new F-35 in total parked up....sweet jesus, that would be quite a sight....Boeing and the 737-Max move out of the way...we have a new competitor...

Why is it taking so long for the F-35 to get the TR-3 software update? The wait will hurt Lockheed financially speaking the longer this goes on and they cannot transfer those F-35s in the storage hangers.

Why is it taking so long for the F-35 to get the TR-3 software update? The wait will hurt Lockheed financially speaking the longer this goes on and they cannot transfer those F-35s in the storage hangers.

From the article that @TomcatViP posted it appears that they have completely under estimated the time in hand or have been lying through their teeth. We've had talk of TR-3 being fully ready in a matter of months, but to then switch to a truncated TR-3 with Full Combat Capability being delivered to those aircraft by a software update a whole year later that late in the day points to either incompetence or someone not telling the truth until they could deny it no longer....

To be honest if I was a customer I'm not sure I'd accept the truncated TR-3 on LM's assurance that a software update a year later would make my aircraft actually usable....could anyone actualy believe they would deliver that update on time and to specification?

The only side that really benefits from TR-3 being accepted incomplete is LM....maybe they should start to feel some pain.

And from that article it appears that Block IV has got even more issues with the JPO trying to salvage what they can, whilst delaying capabiities into the 2030's...

For me the question is for how long does LM get away with it? Over promising and under delivering with real impact on the customers has to have a downside for them sooner rather than later...

it appears that they have completely under estimated the time in hand or have been lying through their teeth.

(Little Latina girl in taco commercial goes here)

... maybe a little harsh. I think Schmidt is trying to get things under control and seems more honest than his predecessors. But delivery of combat-coded Block 4s has slipped more than two years since Jan 2023, including the 12-16 months from delivery of "truncated" Block 4 to the combat-ready version, and it seems as if the entire Block 4 project is being ripped down to the bare essentials.

Gory details, particularly from about 2:11:00 onwards in the video:

I can only assume LM has scooped up huge numbers of coders in recent years, yet I'm still left asking what the hell the problem is? For all of the things Lockheed gets right, they seem particularly bad when it comes to the software side of things. The F-22 also had its own long list of problems there, and difficulties with integration of updated hardware, but the whole point of the tech refreshes and such was based on that experience. So where is the weak link in the chain here?