Lockheed Martin F-117 Nighthawk

SOC

I look at pictures all day
Reaction score
#784 was trialled with a radome and variant of the B-1B's radar system. Has any other information on this project, or any images of the test configuration, ever turned up? This is said to be the forerunner of the Raptor's radar mounting.

Sean, you are coming back and immidiately smashing my head off.
I will die of curiosity, you shouldn't tell such things=)

It's mentioned in Aronstein and Piccirillo's excellent AIAA publication "HAVE BLUE and the F-117A: Evolution of the Stealth Fighter". Images of most of the other modifications or test configurations (like the extended dogtooth wingtips) have been published, nearly all of which can be viewed in Mailes' and Landis' F-117A Photo Scrapbook, but this one seems relegated to a few ines of text in the AIAA work. Perhaps it remains classified due to the F-22 connection? Whatever the case, it's interesting that this seems to be a forgotten or overlooked bit of the F-117A development program, much like the AIM-9 ground firings.

SOC said:
#784 was trialled with a radome and variant of the B-1B's radar system. Has any other information on this project, or any images of the test configuration, ever turned up? This is said to be the forerunner of the Raptor's radar mounting.

As far as I know, there were two programs to fit the F-117 with radar that resulted in hardware. One is probably the one you're thinking of, which would have fitted the F-117 with a radome that replaced everything forward of the cockpit. I have not heard of this having been flown.
The radar I did hear had flown was integrated into the nose, with the antennas near the air data system. This was one radome/antenna on each side, and not very large. The radar itself had at least some components from a cruise missile program.

I'd have to find the sources again. I do recall a late 1990s Air International article that mentioned the radar program that flew.

Here is a cutaway.

Attachments

• f117cutaway.gif
    f117cutaway.gif
    1.3 MB · Views: 318
The clue to why it looks so good is under the left-hand v-tail.

Try Flight International. He should work for them, or should have worked for them. At least thats what google says. Also the quality and style reminds me a lot about the cutaways from flight international.

http://www.flightglobal.com/airspace/media/21/default.aspx

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lockheed-Cutaways-History-Martin/dp/1855327759/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1303585917&sr=1-7

I've been reading a bit recently about the F-117, and having seen some nice photos (in books), I have some questions about the sensor turret. I know it has a wire mesh (coated with RAM) covering it, and that flat panels of various materials (glass, etc.) were tried before settling on the mesh. However, isn't it still basically open to the air? It seems it would be quite 'draggy'.
Also, when the turret is rotated to the rear, there appears a faceted, red-painted object in the turret bay. Any ideas on what this is? And is it there at all times, or only when the turret is rotated rearward? I'm thinking it is maybe a housing for cables. I've had a hard time finding a good picture online to illustrate it, but perhaps you can make it out in this photo:
800px-F-117_Nighthawk_(2151270009).jpg

(modified with smaller, better pic)

IIRC the red thing is a cover that's removed before flight. I could be mistaken.

As to your other questions...
http://books.google.com/books?id=rzXdGpkDa7YC&lpg=PA71&vq=IRADS&pg=PA97#v=snippet&q=IRADS&f=false

Thanks for the link, Quellish. I've been meaning to get that book for some time now. As for the "Remove Before Flight" status of the red mystery object, I've seen other photos where it is visible in flight, like so:

23547.jpg

My wish here is that anyone whom remanent question concerning F-117, if there are, which will be posted under this thread.
My question here is :
What makes F-117 has internal fuel over 8 tons?
Did anyone saw dropable tanks be carried by F-117?

HERE IS THE INFERENCE LINK

The F-117 does not have external hardpoints, so any reference to drop tanks is an error. There are some references to ferry tanks fitted in the bomb bay, though. Perhaps this is what is meant.

TomS said:
The F-117 does not have external hardpoints, so any reference to drop tanks is an error. There are some references to ferry tanks fitted in the bomb bay, though. Perhaps this is what is meant.

I vaguely remember a picture of an F117 with external hardpoints carrying something or other to test. I'm pretty sure I saw that here on the forums.

There are wind tunnel models of an F-117 carrying external stores, but I've never seen one of a live aircraft. There are some pictures of one with a camera pod for weapon release trials, but that isn't the same as a weapon pylon.

My first post, I welcome criticisms regarding the nature of the questions and posting it on this forum, otherwise I'd appreciate anyone who has more detailed info than I do regarding my topic.

Below are pics of aircraft 783 (fsd 4) refirbed for display at Edwards. One of the pics is supposedly that of 783 at an airschow. Maybe I'm wrong but I do believe all the FSD aircraft when serving at Edwards AFB with the test team had the intake grid wiper system installed in the forward step below the intakes like the rest of the production aircraft did. Details like shape of Flir window and use of "sawtooth" around cockpit glazing and frame varied between the different FSD and later production types but the intake wiper "ledge" was present on all aircraft I'm fairly certain unless someone with better knowledge corrects me.

My first question is was this no.783 refurbished for display purposes with intake wipers removed to hearken back to its earlier test period? It has a small gray scorpion behind the cockpit as well.

2nd question: What was the time frame for the fitting of the intake wiper ledge below the intakes on the F-117 FSDs and also what was the time frame for fitting the pointed apex canopy with refueling light? Did either or both of these features appear on aircraft 783 before it was painted air superiority blue for a daylight testing of that scheme? It says in various books that at one point air superiority blue was tested but I haven't found the time period for this test. Evening Shade was in 1993 when 782 was painted back in a light gray,(gray ghost) so possibly the airsup blue scheme on 783 was also around this time as well but I just wanted to ask if anyone else knows of the correct time period specifically for the air superiority blue scheme.

This image shows the intake grid wiper installation present on 783, unless this isn't 783. Where this image came from the caption was that it was 783. The new display at Edwards AFB the aircraft doesn't have the intake wipers.

I thought I'd share this F-117 phantom view. -SP

Attachments

• F-117 phantom view-small.jpg
    F-117 phantom view-small.jpg
    232 KB · Views: 713
Steve Pace said:
I thought I'd share this F-117 phantom view. -SP

Smart image Steve. The F-117 was my second best plane to have been designed at the Skunk Works after the mighty SR-71A.

FighterJock said:
Smart image Steve. The F-117 was my second best plane to have been designed at the Skunk Works after the mighty SR-71A.

Yeah! But Kelly Johnson's team did such a good job of it that the Blackbird is simply the best plane to have been designed ANYWHERE!!! So that leaves little hope for anyone ever to catch up... ;)

Skyblazer said:
FighterJock said:

Yeah! But Kelly Johnson's team did such a good job of it that the Blackbird is simply the best plane to have been designed ANYWHERE!!! So that leaves little hope for anyone ever to catch up... ;)
AMEN - Kelly's Blackbird was and remains to be a masterpiece. Hell, even today, years after its retirement, it still looks like something from out of the future! -SP

Haynes Manual on the F-117.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/085733512X/ref=pd_aw_fbt_14_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=6GBX10JJAGD6GEBNP6FM#

Attachments

• 51JGHl405zL._SL1500_.jpg
    51JGHl405zL._SL1500_.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 516
Those Haynes manuals really do vary a lot as to how good or bad they are by who writes a particular volume.

Not sure if this is the best F-117 thread to resurrect, but it seemed the most appropriate from my search results.

But Lockheed Martin is prepping an aircraft for display at the Regan Presidential Library. Interesting to see what they've had to do in order to make
one display ready.

Direct link to the video.

More information and pictures. :cool:
First I taught, the aircraft was the "Gray Dragon" with the experimental camouflage scheme. :oops:

Last edited:
I have to wonder that since the F-117 is going to the Reagan Library because he was the primary political backer for the program moving from R&D into production, if other aircraft for which Reagan was a key backer of might also go on display at his library.

Reagan almost single-handedly got the B-1B put into production after Carter cancelled the program. Reagan was key in getting the B-2 into production. And there is strong evidence that Reagan was a key backer for the high-speed, high-altitude recce program commonly referred to as Aurora.

Might we find that the Reagan Library will also be home for two retired strategic bombers and a declassified, black world product that would stand as testament to his support of military aviation?

Peace Through Strength: F-117 Display at Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
Lockheed Martin Skunk Works® partners with the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute and National Museum of the USAF by reconfiguring F-117 Nighthawk #803, nicknamed “Unexpected Guest” for permanent display at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
Video:
Link:
HTML:
https://youtu.be/dI8RpNOTCoM

As reported by Air Combat magazine in July, the F-117A sports an Aggressor style camouflage and was seen flying with F-16's and a NASA F-15D around the Nellis range. Many USAF aggressor paint schemes used silhouettes of MiG's painted underneath the aircraft, however the F-117A's silhouette on the bottom of the aircraft is the same as the actual aircraft, only smaller (possibly to make the aircraft look like its a little further away(?)). With the advent of foreign stealth aircraft technology it would make perfect sense to employ the Nighthawk in this role. Hopefully, we see more of this aircraft if the AF decides its new status is not classified.

Attachments

• Air Comat F117A Aggressor.jpg
    Air Comat F117A Aggressor.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 209
Oddly, in the summer of 2019 the Aggressor squadron at Nellis (64th AS) the unit revealed a new aggressor paint scheme, all Black with Red pin striping. Black of coarse is a horrible camo for daytime ACM as it is easily spotted from miles away. I'm wondering if this was a cover for the use of the F-117A, which would follow roughly a year later.

Attachments

• F-16C_Wraith.jpg
    F-16C_Wraith.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 210
Oddly, in the summer of 2019 the Aggressor squadron at Nellis (64th AS) the unit revealed a new aggressor paint scheme, all Black with Red pin striping. Black of coarse is a horrible camo for daytime ACM as it is easily spotted from miles away. I'm wondering if this was a cover for the use of the F-117A, which would follow roughly a year later.

No, it was just another cool paint scheme for an aggressor aircraft.

Apart from cost and crew concerns, any reason why they cannot act as targets for training current crews?