• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-117 Nighthawk

FighterJock

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Steve Pace said:
I thought I'd share this F-117 phantom view. -SP

Smart image Steve. The F-117 was my second best plane to have been designed at the Skunk Works after the mighty SR-71A.

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
FighterJock said:
Smart image Steve. The F-117 was my second best plane to have been designed at the Skunk Works after the mighty SR-71A.
Yeah! But Kelly Johnson's team did such a good job of it that the Blackbird is simply the best plane to have been designed ANYWHERE!!! So that leaves little hope for anyone ever to catch up... ;)

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
Skyblazer said:
FighterJock said:
Yeah! But Kelly Johnson's team did such a good job of it that the Blackbird is simply the best plane to have been designed ANYWHERE!!! So that leaves little hope for anyone ever to catch up... ;)
AMEN - Kelly's Blackbird was and remains to be a masterpiece. Hell, even today, years after its retirement, it still looks like something from out of the future! -SP

Flyaway

Reaction score
Those Haynes manuals really do vary a lot as to how good or bad they are by who writes a particular volume.

Gridlock

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Is the section on "Caring for your RAM" over 9000 pages long?

RobertWL

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best F-117 thread to resurrect, but it seemed the most appropriate from my search results.

But Lockheed Martin is prepping an aircraft for display at the Regan Presidential Library. Interesting to see what they've had to do in order to make
one display ready.

Direct link to the video.

fightingirish

Reaction score
More information and pictures. :cool:
First I taught, the aircraft was the "Gray Dragon" with the experimental camouflage scheme. :oops:

Last edited:

RetiredAFGuy

20 years of Phantom Phun
Reaction score
I have to wonder that since the F-117 is going to the Reagan Library because he was the primary political backer for the program moving from R&D into production, if other aircraft for which Reagan was a key backer of might also go on display at his library.

Reagan almost single-handedly got the B-1B put into production after Carter cancelled the program. Reagan was key in getting the B-2 into production. And there is strong evidence that Reagan was a key backer for the high-speed, high-altitude recce program commonly referred to as Aurora.

Might we find that the Reagan Library will also be home for two retired strategic bombers and a declassified, black world product that would stand as testament to his support of military aviation?