• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Lockheed Martin F-117 Nighthawk

FighterJock

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Steve Pace said:
I thought I'd share this F-117 phantom view. -SP

Smart image Steve. The F-117 was my second best plane to have been designed at the Skunk Works after the mighty SR-71A.

Stargazer2006

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
FighterJock said:
Smart image Steve. The F-117 was my second best plane to have been designed at the Skunk Works after the mighty SR-71A.
Yeah! But Kelly Johnson's team did such a good job of it that the Blackbird is simply the best plane to have been designed ANYWHERE!!! So that leaves little hope for anyone ever to catch up... ;)

Steve Pace

Aviation History Writer
Reaction score
Skyblazer said:
FighterJock said:
Yeah! But Kelly Johnson's team did such a good job of it that the Blackbird is simply the best plane to have been designed ANYWHERE!!! So that leaves little hope for anyone ever to catch up... ;)
AMEN - Kelly's Blackbird was and remains to be a masterpiece. Hell, even today, years after its retirement, it still looks like something from out of the future! -SP

Flyaway

Reaction score
Those Haynes manuals really do vary a lot as to how good or bad they are by who writes a particular volume.

RobertWL

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the best F-117 thread to resurrect, but it seemed the most appropriate from my search results.

But Lockheed Martin is prepping an aircraft for display at the Regan Presidential Library. Interesting to see what they've had to do in order to make
one display ready.

Direct link to the video.

fightingirish

Reaction score
More information and pictures. :cool:
First I taught, the aircraft was the "Gray Dragon" with the experimental camouflage scheme. :oops:

Last edited:

RetiredAFGuy

20 years of Phantom Phun
Reaction score
I have to wonder that since the F-117 is going to the Reagan Library because he was the primary political backer for the program moving from R&D into production, if other aircraft for which Reagan was a key backer of might also go on display at his library.

Reagan almost single-handedly got the B-1B put into production after Carter cancelled the program. Reagan was key in getting the B-2 into production. And there is strong evidence that Reagan was a key backer for the high-speed, high-altitude recce program commonly referred to as Aurora.

Might we find that the Reagan Library will also be home for two retired strategic bombers and a declassified, black world product that would stand as testament to his support of military aviation?

fightingirish

Reaction score
Peace Through Strength: F-117 Display at Ronald Reagan Presidential Library
Lockheed Martin Skunk Works® partners with the Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation and Institute and National Museum of the USAF by reconfiguring F-117 Nighthawk #803, nicknamed “Unexpected Guest” for permanent display at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.
Video:
Link:
HTML:
https://youtu.be/dI8RpNOTCoM

Dynoman

Reaction score
As reported by Air Combat magazine in July, the F-117A sports an Aggressor style camouflage and was seen flying with F-16's and a NASA F-15D around the Nellis range. Many USAF aggressor paint schemes used silhouettes of MiG's painted underneath the aircraft, however the F-117A's silhouette on the bottom of the aircraft is the same as the actual aircraft, only smaller (possibly to make the aircraft look like its a little further away(?)). With the advent of foreign stealth aircraft technology it would make perfect sense to employ the Nighthawk in this role. Hopefully, we see more of this aircraft if the AF decides its new status is not classified.

Attachments

Dynoman

Reaction score
Oddly, in the summer of 2019 the Aggressor squadron at Nellis (64th AS) the unit revealed a new aggressor paint scheme, all Black with Red pin striping. Black of coarse is a horrible camo for daytime ACM as it is easily spotted from miles away. I'm wondering if this was a cover for the use of the F-117A, which would follow roughly a year later.

Attachments

Sundog

Reaction score
Oddly, in the summer of 2019 the Aggressor squadron at Nellis (64th AS) the unit revealed a new aggressor paint scheme, all Black with Red pin striping. Black of coarse is a horrible camo for daytime ACM as it is easily spotted from miles away. I'm wondering if this was a cover for the use of the F-117A, which would follow roughly a year later.
No, it was just another cool paint scheme for an aggressor aircraft.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Apart from cost and crew concerns, any reason why they cannot act as targets for training current crews?

Boxman

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Posted to YouTube on February 13, 2020, an interview with F-117 pilot Maj. Robert "Robson" Donaldson ("Bandit 321") USAF (Ret.) Beginning at the 31min 09sec mark, he describes the F-117's secondary air-to-air anti-AWACS mission. Long rumored and suspected, this is the first confirmation I have heard of it. My understanding is it was armed with AIM-9 Sidewinders, rails shoulder-mounted to the F-117's trapeze racks.

YouTube: The Fighter Pilot Podcast - 072 F-117 Nighthawk