Lockheed Martin F-117 Nighthawk

Posted to YouTube on February 13, 2020, an interview with F-117 pilot Maj. Robert "Robson" Donaldson ("Bandit 321") USAF (Ret.) Beginning at the 31min 09sec mark, he describes the F-117's secondary air-to-air anti-AWACS mission. Long rumored and suspected, this is the first confirmation I have heard of it. My understanding is it was armed with AIM-9 Sidewinders, rails shoulder-mounted to the F-117's trapeze racks.

YouTube: The Fighter Pilot Podcast - 072 F-117 Nighthawk

Everyone knows I am just an enthusiast here. That said, why are we keeping the nighthawks flying when there are better options for "stealth" platforms to train against? What happened to the Boeing and NG drones, for example? If they are just keeping - I am guessing - 3 or 4 nighthawks flying, isn't it more costly than the drones we had built and flown?

Everyone knows I am just an enthusiast here. That said, why are we keeping the nighthawks flying when there are better options for "stealth" platforms to train against? What happened to the Boeing and NG drones, for example? If they are just keeping - I am guessing - 3 or 4 nighthawks flying, isn't it more costly than the drones we had built and flown?

There's still a lot to be said in favor of having a real live brain in the cockpit for a test or training evolution.

Yeah, as long as there is manned platform, one would also need a manned platform to simulate things. e.g Chinese or Russian stealth bomber which would be manned.

It also likely helps that there is a sizable fleet of mothballed aircraft to cannibalize for parts to keep the few current F-117s flying.

I was really not surprised some years ago when some F-117 become airworthy again. Stealth platforms are scarce and expensive (although the F-35 may change that, being the first mass produced one) and thus a fleet of 50 F-117 is too good to be lost.

The F-117 fleet still had plenty of useful life left when it was retired. It was done as an "economy measure" because it was too small (50 airframes left ?) and expensive to maintain (old stealth coating from the 70's...)

Now all these issues vanish into thin air for a small experimental fleet. Which is flown "NASA / X-plane" style, not much.

Finally, as noted, with 50 airframes if only 5 are flying, there are 9 airframes in storage to support each one.

Probably some kind of anti-stealth training - like detection and interception of stealth aircraft. Currently, USAF did not have the monopoly on stealth anymore, so it make sense to use F-117 as "stealth aggressors" for military exercises. To train the personnel, and to develop tactics against opponent's stealth crafts.

Not too long ago, there were some photos posted on SPF of these F-117 flying in one of the recent exercises

Well it's better to train blue force in counter-stealth with a phased-out design than inadvertently teach the red force how to shot down your last assets. :rolleyes:

Amazing that a late 70's design can still do the trick.

Last edited:
Part of Type 1000 storage requires some A/C operations to keep MX and pilots currency on the type as well as exercising the jets. This doesn't mean that they're not being used as training or testing but part of Type 1000 storage requirements is occasionally flying the jets.

And the final, Part Three -

Includes an interesting mention of an unknown ‘something else’ flying on occasion at TTR, meaning the 117’s would be kept inside briefly. This would have been the early nineties just before the move to Holloman. That mention is from about 1m 35s.

View: https://youtu.be/D5OdYJJg97E

And the final, Part Three -

Includes an interesting mention of an unknown ‘something else’ flying on occasion at TTR, meaning the 117’s would be kept inside briefly. This would have been the early nineties just before the move to Holloman. That mention is from about 1m 35s.

View: https://youtu.be/D5OdYJJg97E
More oil to the companion fire.

Beginning at the 31min 09sec mark, he describes the F-117's secondary air-to-air anti-AWACS mission. Long rumored and suspected, this is the first confirmation I have heard of it. My understanding is it was armed with AIM-9 Sidewinders, rails shoulder-mounted to the F-117's trapeze racks.

Ha ! So there was some truth after all, in Red storm rising... when stealth aircraft attack that A-50 Mainstay and send it to hell.

3 decades and fortnight ago Desert Storm kicked off with the Wobbly Goblin seine action for second time ...

Anyhow reminiscent of this the 117 has been cleared to being tanked up.

cheers

May I throw a couple of thoughts in to see what saner heads may think.

The design shape is still sound as the physics hasn't changed and the RAM panels were removable. Bearing in mind that the original fleet were built in total secrecy is it possible that the fleet has been rotated through rebuild with better RAM, systems etc. It would be a good choice for certain scenarios and quite cost effective.
Related to the above the F-117 could be a good candidate for autonomous drone conversion. With several demonstrators proving the technology already a human input would only be needed as oversight if something unexpected is found. Sharp eyes and a clear head would add volumes to the data gathered.

It wouldn’t surprise if the flying examples haven’t been upgraded in multiple ways not just their skins. Betting their avionics and the like are all upgraded.

Could the F-117 be upgraded with something like the F-35’s radar absorbing fibermat coating?

Could the F-117 be upgraded with something like the F-35’s radar absorbing fibermat coating?

It's possible, but I don't think so. One of the advantages of flying the old 117 is that no new sensitive technology is exposed.
Then in many theaters 1980s tech is still relevant (Iran for example).
Other less sensitive coatings are available and would be IMOHO prime candidates. The one used on the SH/Rafale for example might prove efficient with the finely tuned shapes of the Goblin.

It also likely helps that there is a sizable fleet of mothballed aircraft to cannibalize for parts to keep the few current F-117s flying.
This. I think the sheer number of aircraft in mothballs mean that it's a cheap off the shelf solution as a low RCS target, and a manned pilot offers more on the fly flexibility than a drone.

It's possible, but I don't think so. One of the advantages of flying the old 117 is that no new sensitive technology is exposed.
Then in many theaters 1980s tech is still relevant (Iran for example).
Other less sensitive coatings are available and would be IMOHO prime candidates. The one used on the SH/Rafale for example might prove efficient with the finely tuned shapes of the Goblin.
I didn’t know the Rafale used radar absorbing coatings wholesale, I thought it was just in certain areas?

As I said some posts upthread - stealth aircraft are such precious and expensive assets, even after retirement they will milk out the F-117 fleet until the very last one falls into pieces...

I believe there is group of early build F-35s that are going to relegated to aggressor training soon. Early lots of F-35 apparently had structural flaws that apparently aren't cost effective to fix, so they are going to be used for training purposes. I think the Block I super bugs are getting the same treatment.

Last Tuesday sighting:
this past Tuesday aviation enthusiast and webmaster of the Area 51 themed site dreamlandresort.com Joerg Arnu was buzzed by two Nighthawks flying at speed heading toward the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR), home to the best known secret air base known as Area 51 and the just as secretive Tonopah Test Range (TTR).