Lockheed L-188 Electra Projects

Caravellarella

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear pometablava, here is an artist's impression of the Lockheed L-188 Electra in U.S.A.F MATS livery......

The picture comes from page 95 of the Great Airliners Volume Five "Lockheed 188 Electra" by David G. Powers......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Lockheed L-188 Electra USAF MATS artist's impression © Lockheed Martin Corporation Inc.......jpg
    Lockheed L-188 Electra USAF MATS artist's impression © Lockheed Martin Corporation Inc.......jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 430
Dear pometablava, here is a semi-military Lockheed Electra that isn't a "project" (so I am off topic). It is c/n 1130 which was a L-188C-08-18 Electra originally ordered by Capital Airlines Inc. but not delivered to them. It was sold to The Ford Motor Company as N181H, but not used. It was then leased to the U S Navy Pacific Missile Range at NAS Point Mugu between 1960 and 1961 to track Agena satellites and direct the C-119 aircraft to pick up the photograph cannisters......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

• Lockheed L-188C Electra Pacific Missile Range tracker.......jpg
    Lockheed L-188C Electra Pacific Missile Range tracker.......jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 387
I found this very nice phantom view of the L-188 at Code One. -sp

Attachments

• L-188 Electra Code One.jpg
    L-188 Electra Code One.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 542
Here's an old model of the Lockheed L-188 Electra in USAF / MATS colors. Does anybody know if this was an unsolicited Lockheed proposal, or was it in response to an actual RFP?

Attachments

• Lockheed Electra MATS.jpg
    Lockheed Electra MATS.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 314
Apart from the proposed Lockheed P-7 LRAACA, with its 2.10m (7ft) increase in wing-span, is anyone aware of any earlier increased wing span proposals to either the L-188 Electra or P-3 Orion?

Thanks in advance

Regards
Pioneer

I am reviving this old thread with the L-188 Wave, an Electra converted to ELINT/SIGINT missions and operated by the Argentinean Navy.

Captura de pantalla 2021-12-15 a las 17.37.48.png

The aircraft was modified in Argentina, with assistance of IAI and incorporated the IAI SIGINT 240 equipment, that included the Elta EL/L-8300 SIGINT/ELINT suite. Only one airframe was converted (registry 6-P-104, C/N 1072). Conversion took place in 1990 and the aircraft was written off struck off charge in 2002.

It's currently preserved in the Museo de la Aviación Naval (Naval Aviation Museum), in the city of Bahía Blanca.

Last edited:
I think you mean 'struck off charge' rather than written off. I know, not meant to be rude.

I think you mean 'struck off charge' rather than written off. I know, not meant to be rude.
Thank you for your observation, @Foo Fighter , and you right. The plane was struck off charge. After all, it’s preserved in a Museum… o_O

Funny thing is that, in Spanish, ‘struck off charge’ and ‘written off’ have a similar meaning.

Language is a minefield of it's own, thanks for posting that, it led to a rabbit hole to a photograph of a sad, tired old lady in a museum. I do love diving down rabbit holes. Talking of language, my dyslexic typing fingers have one of their own, no idea who taught them