Lockheed CL-915

What was its intended role?

I've had a quick look on the net and looked in Tony Buttlers American Secret Projects but the number was not listed - was it a real project?

Fantastic job as always - I have one of your Ardvaark Killers as my PC background.

Regards.

According to "Lockheed's SKUNK WORKS,The First Fifty Years,The Official History by Jay Miller",
1.CL-915 series(CL-915,CL-915-1 to CL-915-8) were designed before CL-1200.
2.High maneuverable aircraft.
3.Easy of maintenance.
4.Top speed Mach1.4 to 2.0
5.MTOW 15ton
Jozef! How about these explanations?

blackkite said:
According to "Lockheed's SKUNK WORKS,The First Fifty Years,The Official History by Jay Miller",
3.Easy of maintenance.
5.MTOW 15ton

Has this book been reprinted as Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works: The Official History (Revised Edition) by Jay Miller?

http://www.amazon.com/Lockheed-Martins-Skunk-Works-Official/dp/1857800370/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247770353&sr=1-3

Double checking before I order. ;D

For those who don't have the original printing of this wonderful book, I do have it somewhere and could retrieve some info from there some time... in August, when I'm back from holiday (will be away for a fortnight starting tomorrow).

A bit off-topic but...I've always wanted to be a novel writer, but also to write books about aviation too, and just as important to preserve aviation books that have been out-of-print and fallen into obscurity. If anyone has any ideas, but in the mean time, ah well I guess....

Hi! Triton. Yes this book!! My book was printed in 1993.(First published.)
This is really wonderful book. Jay Miller's work is super as usual.

Matej said:
Now I started to wonder, if my copy is original or revised edition... The copyright year is 1993 so?

I found a 1996 edition on Amazon:

# Paperback: 216 pages
# Publisher: Voyageur Pr; Rev edition (March 1996)
# ISBN-10: 1857800168
# ISBN-13: 978-1857800166

http://www.amazon.com/Lockheed-Martins-Skunk-Works-Official/dp/1857800168/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1247785949&sr=1-7

This plane looks like the Lockheed 'Battlecruiser' design submitted to the early ATF RFI for concept definition. It was a 115 foot long, 52.7 foot span, ~110,000 lbs evolved A-12 fighter concept for over Mach 2 and 50,000 feet operation (HI-HI).

As always, the work is beautiful. I am always in awe of your talent.

I will show my ignorance, in that I teach biomedical rather than aeronautical engineering. But, what function would the (stationary ?) canards serve in conjunction with the large "leading edge root extensions?"

On my model (and I hope on simple source sketch, too) canards are not stationary

blackkite said:
3.Easy of maintenance.
5.MTOW 15ton

Miller states that:
Virtually all of these were configured to meet the somewhat ill-defined parameters that had been established for the forthcoming lightweight fighter.

This would place the CL-915 series in the early to late 1960s.

Abraham Gubler,

The "Battlecruiser" concept was probably the CL-1980 or CL-2016

KJ_Lesnick said:
The "Battlecruiser" concept was probably the CL-1980 or CL-2016

The C-1980 was a <60 foot long, ~25,000 lb aircraft where the Lockheed ATF RFP 'Battlecruiser' was >110 foot long, >100,000 lb aircraft. The CL-2016 is close but still a little bit under-developed to be the 'Battlecruiser'.

All this was explained earlier on this thread:

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4758.0

and ortho views

Attachments

• CL915_OrthoFront.jpg
    CL915_OrthoFront.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 645
  • CL915_OrthoRight.jpg
    CL915_OrthoRight.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 672
  • CL915_OrthoTop.jpg
    CL915_OrthoTop.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 585
All of this is extremely impressive. Thanks for sharing your amazing talent!

Is the Bald Eagle's head and star field color scheme based on a real squadron or demonstrator aircraft? Or is this artistic license?

royabulgaf said:
does anyone have dimensions for this beauty?

The descendant of the Lockheed CL-915 was the Lockheed CL-1980 after Lockheed lost the follow-on prototype development and testing phase of the Light Weight Fighter (LWF) competition to General Dynamics and Northrop. According to Lockheed Martin's Skunk Works: The Official History by Jay Miller, the CL-1980 design was introduced in 1973. It was offered in a one and two seat configuration to the United States Navy, but the Navy at the time was more interested in the continued production of the Grumman F-14 Tomcat. Miller does not explain the model of the CL-1980 in United States Air Force markings or when/or if it was offered for sale to the US Air Force. It seems too early to be a consideration for the Advanced Tactical Fighter (ATF) competition.

The exterior dimensions of the Lockheed CL-915 should match the single seat Lockheed CL-1980.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,4758.msg37599.html#msg37599

Jay Miller would be extremely impressed with your artwork. It's TOP GUN!

Steve

Has anyone discovered the true proposed mission of CL-915? LRI, MRI, FX, ATF?...... -SP

Drawings of CL-915 used for 3D model are from Jay Miller book "Lockheed's Skunk Works 50th Anniversary" ( I have Czech version), page 205 but only with short info. No program is clear

Perhaps it was related to the Airborne Radar Location and Strike System (ALSS)?