Lockheed CL-303 airliner (pre-Electra)

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

please,I want a drawing to Lockheed CL-303 high wing aircraft,which led
to develope the CL-310 (L-188) Electra.

From the book; Lockheed 188 Electra,by David G. Powers,

here is two different configurations to Lockheed CL-303 project.

I hope to get the drawing for Lockheed CL-310.

Attachments

• CL-303.JPG
    CL-303.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 768
I always figured that CL-310 was simply the L-188. Do you think there could be an intermediary design under the same designation?

Stargazer2006 said:
I always figured that CL-310 was simply the L-188. Do you think there could be an intermediary design under the same designation?

May be my dear Stargazer,

but we dream to get a drawing to it.

there are models out there, just ran across an AA CL-303.

TonyA. said:
there are models out there, just ran across an AA CL-303.

Welcome aboard Tony,

and we will be happy to see those Models.

History might have worked out differently if Lockheed had built the Electra with a high wing. With the landing gear isolated from the wing and nacelle structure, it probably wouldn't have been vulnerable to the hard-landing induced structural damage that killed the Electra's commercial prospects.

Proposal display of the CL-303, made by the Lockheed model shop in Burbank, late 1954. As far as I know, this was the only model of the CL-303 ever made. After American Airlines rejected it in favor of a larger airliner, Lockheed went to work on the CL-310 (basically the same general arrangement, but with a low wing) and the CL-303 was shelved. American Airlines ordered 35 CL-310s in June, 1955, which soon became known as the Lockheed Model 188 Electra.

Competing with the CL-303 contract for American Airlines was the Douglas Model 1867J (a turboprop-equipped DC-6). For picture of the 1867J, go here: https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5101.msg222911.html#msg222911. The 1867J was also rejected by American Airlines and quickly forgotten.

Perhaps a moderator would like to simplify the title of this thread to Lockheed CL-303. I will post the patent drawing and Orionblamblam has already posted a reasonably legible 3-view drawing with dimensions. Those should suffice. Of course, if someone here has the original Lockheed factory drawings for the CL-303, please send me a PM. :)

Attachments

• Lockheed CL-303 12a.jpg
    Lockheed CL-303 12a.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 301
Lockheed CL-303 patent drawing.

Attachments

• USD181789-0.png
    USD181789-0.png
    176.2 KB · Views: 283
circle-5 said:
I will post the patent drawing and Orionblamblam has already posted a reasonably legible 3-view drawing with dimensions. Those should suffice. Of course, if someone here has the original Lockheed factory drawings for the CL-303, please send me a PM. :)

Scott's drawing is an original Lockheed drawing (based on source) but presumably artwork made for a brochure.

Skyblazer said:

There were a few versions considered, all pretty similar to the Electra except several had a squared-off vertical tail.