Lockheed 1960s Astrocommuter

FutureSpaceTourist

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I love the design of this spaceplane:

[quote author=http://www.astronautix.com/craft/astmuter.htm]
The Astrocommuter was designed in 1963 by Saunders Kramer at Lockheed. The spaceplane was intended for use as the logistics vehicle for the Lockheed 1963 Space Station. The winged vehicle would have been 14 m long with an 8.63 m wingspan, and would fly to a wheeled landing at a conventional airfield after re-entry. Viewing for the pilot was be provided by a periscope-like device,. It was powered in the subsonic flight regime by two turbojet engines, and provided with enough jet fuel for a 48-minute endurance, equivalent to a range of 574 km. A Saturn IB first stage would boost the spaceplane into the stratosphere, after which its own rocket engines would take it the rest of the way to orbit. Kramer estimated the development cost as $135 million, and claimed a first flight would be possible as early as 1966. However there was no support within Lockheed to push the concept outside of the company.

Height: 14.00 m (45.00 ft).
Span: 8.63 m (28.31 ft).
[/quote]

The picture of the station the astrocommuter was supposed to serve is from http://www.astronautix.com/craft/location.htm.

Attachments

• astrocommuter.jpg
    astrocommuter.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 295
  • lmspacestation63.jpg
    lmspacestation63.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 257
Orionblamblam said:
Actually, that's a scan straight out of Dennis R Jenkins' book on the STS, complete with the unique text and font... and Dennis' own drawing.

Apologies, deleted. I actually have Dennis' book but I'm away from home and didn't remember.

FutureSpaceTourist said:
Orionblamblam said:
Actually, that's a scan straight out of Dennis R Jenkins' book on the STS, complete with the unique text and font... and Dennis' own drawing.

Apologies, deleted. I actually have Dennis' book but I'm away from home and didn't remember.

I don't think OBB suggested you should delete it; he simply gave the appropriate credits to the file. I believe other (duly credited) pics from the same book appear on this very forum without it being a problem.