LLC books and similar

Hoo-2b-2day

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
In recent months on E-bay there has been a lot of books by LLC books and similar "publishers" in which the description reads "Please note that the content of this book primarily consists of articles available from Wikipedia or other free sources online."

This leads me to wonder whether the reseach and work done by you people over the years has been taken over by some-one else to make them money - nice way to make a living.

Also I must wonder about people who would actually buy a book with that sort of description rather than look it up for themselves.

Yep, I fell for that -- bought a book through Amazon on Group C endurance racing only to find it was indeed Wikipedia content. (Cue scene in Bugs Bunny cartoons when Bugs does something unwise and momentarily turns into a jackass.)

The trouble is that there are tons of these trashy "books" all over Amazon and similar websites now. When you want to search for a book on a particular subject, you often have to wade through pages of these before you can get to the real books. I asked Amazon to add a filter to turn off that kind of book (like selecting hardbound or paperbound only), but so far they haven't acted.

Hoo-2b-2day said:
This leads me to wonder whether the reseach and work done by you people over the years has been taken over by some-one else to make them money

Yup. I see a lot of the drawings I clean up and release show up as crappy prints on ebay.

That's why the Skomer site hasn't been updated since 2003.

Chris