Lippisch Post War Projects

Model of the Dornier Aerodyne exhibited at Le Bourget 1971, from Aviation Magazine 565.

Attachments

• dornier_aerodyne_avimag_565_p50.jpg
    dornier_aerodyne_avimag_565_p50.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 220
Hi,

http://erichorning4.blogspot.com/2013/10/alexander-lippisch-wingless-aerodyne.html

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 124
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 90
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 106
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 136
And;

Attachments

• 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 188
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 605
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 610
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 606
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 643
Number 13 is intriguing, a jet bus? Or is there some other purpose for that contraption on the roof?

Hi,

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/screaminjayhawkins769.shtml

Attachments

• li-sedan-col.jpg
    li-sedan-col.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 525
Nice pictures,thanks hesham for sharing,but I wonder why these concepts were "abandoned ",they looked very promissing,and simpler than a winged aircraft...

best regards

Pedro

pedrospe said:
...,they looked very promissing,and simpler than a winged aircraft...

Not that sure, but although the Aerodyne is described as a combination of tunnel wing and
ducted fan, to my opinion it falls into the same category, as the BS "Flying Pig", with the same
limitations, fully dependent on jet borne lift alone. The faster proposals probably would generate
aerodynamic lift at higher speeds, but then they were intended for tasks, where vertical take-off/
landing wasn't considered a key point for long (e.g. the long range bomber). And for the projects
at the lower edge of the speed range, the Aerodyne Sedan for example, a kind of flying car,
safety reasons probably would have limited its use even back then, when such matters may
still been regarded as more relaxed, than today.
And for unmanned air vehicles, the concept seems not to have offered enough advantages compared
to rotary winged aircraft.

Hi,

here is an artist drawing to a Lippisch Fighter Project,by my dear Hamza..

Attachments

• wingless_dragon_by_hamzalippisch-d6duk00.jpg
    wingless_dragon_by_hamzalippisch-d6duk00.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 457
index.php

index.php

index.php

(h/t hesham)

Lippisch Arctur project 1946

Attachments

• 322.jpg
    322.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 141
  • 323.jpg
    323.jpg
    802.4 KB · Views: 136
  • 324.jpg
    324.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 126
  • 325.jpg
    325.jpg
    938.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 326.jpg
    326.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
  • 327.jpg
    327.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 112
  • 328.jpg
    328.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 121
  • 329.jpg
    329.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 118
  • 330.jpg
    330.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 117
Lippisch High-Speed Delta project near 1950
Thanks for these drawing !
Interesting, seems to have a statojet integrated in the delta wing, never seen that before.

Btw, i knew Lippisch mainly for his work on delta wings, i'm discovering the Aerodyne stuff here... Seems he really was obsessed by doing without any wings at one time.
"Wings !? Who needs that! Real men don't need wings ! I work on a flying electric razor..."

Lippisch Überschall-Delta project
Interesting, seems to have a statojet integrated in the delta wing, never seen that before.

Btw, i knew Lippisch mainly for his work on delta wings, i'm discovering the Aerodyne stuff here... Seems he really was obsessed by doing without any wings at one time.
"Wings !? Who needs that! Real men don't need wings ! I work on a flying electric razor..."
Source "Eindreieck Fliegt" by Alexander Lippisch, Motorbuch Verlag Stuttgart, 1976

Attachments

• 344.jpg
    344.jpg
    573.5 KB · Views: 96
  • 342.jpg
    342.jpg
    273.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 343.jpg
    343.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 345.jpg
    345.jpg
    625.6 KB · Views: 126
  • 341.jpg
    341.jpg
    469.6 KB · Views: 137
Lippisch Arctur project
So far I know , late in 1945 , Lippisch was in London , and early in 1946 in the U.S : Those proposals were designed by the Austrian Leopold Harbich (1906;1999) who designed and built before and after the war some gliders .

He worked during the war at Messerschmitt (Me 163 ...) (Source : Reinhard Keimel's "Luftfahrtzeugbau in Österreich")

BTW , those projects make me think (a little) of the Me P.1107 and P.1108 flying wings ...

Lippisch was working on enclosed rotor concepts. There is a youtube video showing a vehicle hovering far above the ground with open angled slots along the bottom, with Lippisch watching. The Lippisch glide bomb design did date from World War II. The triangle aircraft was finally realized by the Americans. Finally, a complete history of his work with the DFS is lacking.

Regarding Lippisch´s aerodyne projects it is easy to see his influence in the Convair concepts AAFSS (Model 49) and Convair´s LAAS studies of the 1960s (see also: Convair Advanced Designs II by Robert E. Bradley). There were regular contacts between Convair and Lippisch beginning with the Convair XF-92 and continuing during the 1960s.

A good artist drawing to Aerodyne,From Krila 2/1957.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    201.8 KB · Views: 131
Regarding Lippisch´s aerodyne projects it is easy to see his influence in the Convair concepts AAFSS (Model 49) and Convair´s LAAS studies of the 1960s (see also: Convair Advanced Designs II by Robert E. Bradley). There were regular contacts between Convair and Lippisch beginning with the Convair XF-92 and continuing during the 1960s.

I have Convair Advanced Designs II. Are there other sources that describe post-war work in the US done by Lippisch?

I have Convair Advanced Designs II. Are there other sources that describe post-war work in the US done by Lippisch?
There is a brief discussion of Lippisch's postwar work on pages 93-101 of The Delta Wing History and Development by Alexander Lippisch, published by the Iowa State University Press, 1981. ISBN 0-8138-0515-5. His contact with Convair merits only a sentence.

There is a brief discussion of Lippisch's postwar work on pages 93-101 of The Delta Wing History and Development by Alexander Lippisch, published by the Iowa State University Press, 1981. ISBN 0-8138-0515-5. His contact with Convair merits only a sentence.

Thank you. I will have to find this book.

From Jstor's site,

we displayed this Aerodyne Project before,but the new info
is from Navy ?!.

Attachments

• Aerodyne.png
    Aerodyne.png
    431.4 KB · Views: 85
Lippisch Überschall-Delta project

Source "Eindreieck Fliegt" by Alexander Lippisch, Motorbuch Verlag Stuttgart, 1976
Sorry, but I've got a dumb question: Which way is the direction of flight? Pointy end the front and larger diameter sort of flat end the rear of the aircraft? Thanks , Kevin

Number 13 is intriguing, a jet bus? Or is there some other purpose for that contraption on the roof?

That "contraption on the roof" is a very low aspect-ratio wing. They work "okay" at shallow angles of attack (e.g. cruise) but generate massive mounts of drag as soon as the nose pitches up at slower airspeeds.
That "contraption on the roof" also has slats along 3/4 of its chord. Those slats are probably exits for in-wing fans. In-wing fans are probably for VTOL.

From Interavia 1958.

Attachments

• 1-58.png
    1-58.png
    809.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2-58.png
    2-58.png
    225 KB · Views: 48