Link-only posts

Hobbes

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I've noticed that certain threads on this forum contain a large number of posts that only consist of a link.

Example

This has a few drawbacks:
1. if the link goes dead, the post has no remaining value. You can't search for the information in the link, because the post contains no clue as to what the article was about.
2. Time is valuable. Making everybody click a link to see what the article is about is a time sink. If an article is interesting enough to warrant mention on this site, add at least one sentence that indicates why it's of interest.

I think people might be trying to avoid a copyright strike. I generally put a paragraph or two, hoping it'll be enough to help make a decision to click the link or not, but small enough to fly under the radar.

Hobbes said:
2. Time is valuable. Making everybody click a link to see what the article is about is a time sink. If an article is interesting enough to warrant mention on this site, add at least one sentence that indicates why it's of interest.
There's been a flood of such posts with a a link-only without summary. I hate them.
Subjectively, they feel like laziness and disrespect from the poster. Or that he's an AOLer...

It would certainly be better to include a brief summary of what the linked article is about.

I would recommend to report to me posts, which have lost their raison d'être, so I can delete them.
No reason to keep them, if the don't give any information.

I generally ignore them. If the news is important, it will appear in other sources.

No summary - no action.

Whilst I agree with the general sentiment, I think 'historical' link-only messages should be kept. Even defunct links can often be found in Web Archive.

Going forward, a short summary would be the way to go, though I am aware that posting such from some mobile devices can be time-consuming.

sometimes you are sharing something interesting from the phone
sometimes someone can save the link content on PC soon after that - it may be hard to save video on the mobile
sometimes stuff on the link posted soon disappears (like: famous deleted X-37B video, Ilyushin 478 _real_ maiden flight video etc)
if you can double whole article it would be cool of course - if it's not paywalled
remember of fate of old Ares and Flight Global blogs...

Please PM this link only posts to me too and I will add a brief description. I can't promise immediate results but I'll do my best.

Many of my link only posts are pretty clear in the link what they are about "Japan wants 20 more F-35s" for example. That said I am happy to post a quote from the story to give more information.

I also want to avoid copyright issues so what is the limit to posting quotes from the link?

not the biggest problem of the forum so far IMO

A few aggregator sites I'm familiar with tend to quote one paragraph, and have done so for years without copyright challenges. Paraphrasing/making a summary is okay too.

Posting only links is like sending emails with a blank subject line. Most would feel the sender is being inconsiderate of the receiver.

A few words about what is in a posted link gives the reader some information to make a judgment as to whether opening a link is worth his time.

It poor practice to even unintentionally waste someone's time.

Richard N said:
Posting only links is like sending emails with a blank subject line. Most would feel the sender is being inconsiderate of the receiver.

A few words about what is in a posted link gives the reader some information to make a judgment as to whether opening a link is worth his time.

It poor practice to even unintentionally waste someone's time.
A blank subject line gives you NO information but here is a recent link I posted in the nuclear weapons thread.

https://www.heritage.org/missile-defense/commentary/trumps-plan-protect-americas-nuclear-capabilities

Now you said adding a few words so the reader knows what that article is about. From the link "trumps-plan-protect-americas-nuclear-capabilities" there are a few words that give the reader some information could you make a judgement based on that?

As for being inconsiderate because I or others may have even inadvertently wasted your time, the reason I take the time during my internet searches to bring back information to this wonderful site is because I believe being a member here is a privilege and feel very lucky to be afforded the honor of having access to the information and great minds on this site.

I think many of the non-senior members feel this is a great way to contribute and provide value. Now all that being said I will endeavor to add a paragraph or two along with the link if the link does not provide information sufficient to determine its' contents.

bobbymike said:
Now all that being said I will endeavor to add a paragraph or two along with the link if the link does not provide information sufficient to determine its' contents.
At long last.
Thank you for this pledge to behave considerately from now on. Appreciated.

dan_inbox said:
bobbymike said:
Now all that being said I will endeavor to add a paragraph or two along with the link if the link does not provide information sufficient to determine its' contents.
At long last.
Thank you for this pledge to behave considerately from now on. Appreciated.
No problem but I had no idea that as a member taking the time to look for and post information of interest that didn't meet someone's idea of "complete enough" was being "inconsiderate".

It is a matter of tailoring a message to suit its intended audience. I personally am not offended by link-only messages, it's simply that a bare link is rarely enough to tempt me to click on it. This seems to be a shame for all the effort that goes into posting messages.
I like what you post in 'weird and wonderful Crazy and beautiful creatures', I invariably click on what's on offer there - even though it's strictly fodder for The Bar. Probably because there are pictures there - information :)

Arjen said:
I generally ignore them. If the news is important, it will appear in other sources.

I'd be careful about this.

For example, USNI was the only news source to report on the Navy's conventional prompt global strike test.