Light aircraft with twin vertical tails?

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
I am exploring ideas for a homebuilt microlight and looking for inspiration. One design feature I am considering to help facilitate compact storage is using twin rudders on the ends of the horizontal tail. Off the top of my head, here are some examples, but I'd love to see a lot more, whether actual flying aircraft or unbuilt projects for light, single-engine aircraft of this configuration. Thanks!

133240_800.jpg

Miles M.28 Mercury

general%20aircraft%20gal%2042%20cygnet.jpg

General Aircraft GA-42 Cygnet II

meaux316.jpg

Nord NC.856 (and related variants)

Ercoupe_139_3959.jpg

ERCO (and others) Ercoupe

Neat, but I did say "light, single-engine aircraft of this configuration," so the Reid and Sigrist R.S.1 doesn't quite fit. The A.S.O. 1070 Griffon does fit, thanks, though it is certainly homely in that Aviafrance photos. Keep 'em comin'!

How about the SAIMAN L.B.2 designed by Francis Lombardi and powered by an ALFA ROMEO engine.

Attachments

• SAIMAN L.B.2   ALFA AR 115.JPG
    SAIMAN L.B.2 ALFA AR 115.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 18
  • saiman lb.3 ar 115.JPG
    saiman lb.3 ar 115.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 19
Hi!

Mole said:
Neat, but I did say "light, single-engine aircraft of this configuration," so the Reid and Sigrist R.S.1 doesn't quite fit. The A.S.O. 1070 Griffon does fit, thanks, though it is certainly homely in that Aviafrance photos. Keep 'em comin'!

Sorry, I'm read yours' message not so accurate. Of course the number of engines made RS-1 out of types, you're looking for .
Perhaps, its' elegant shape adds a bit of inspiration? :cool:

Good luck in the quest!

Thanks, all, for the suggestions. If we start including pushers it will be a looong list, so let's stick to single, tractor-mounted piston engines with twin vertical tails on a conventional horizontal stabilizer, please. It's not that I don't like other types, it's just that in this case I am looking for inspiration for a design of that particular type. Thanks!

Or there's the Ku4 Austria sailplane. Some say it's not the best looker but it sure was big!

Attachments

• Austria (low res).jpg
    Austria (low res).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 32