• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Letov L-52 - 1947 Jet Fighter Project

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
In 1947, a Letov design team, led by Ing. Pracharem and Ing. Záhorou, began work on a new, single-engined jet fighter. Their Letov L-52 design would be derived from the twin-jet Avia S-92 (Me-262A-1a), re-using some of that Messerschmitt design's components.

A single British jet engine would be housed in a near circular-section fuselage with an oval nose intake. This fuselage would break behind the low-set wings to facilitate engine changes and maintenance.

Initially, power was to be provided by a 3,664 lb st/16.3 kN Rolls-Royce Derwent (presumably referring to the 3,500 lb st/15.6 kN Derwent V). Later, it was decided that the engine model installed would depend upon role. Front-line fighters would be fitted with the 5,000 lb st (22.3 kN) Rolls-Royce Nene. The tandem-seat fighter-trainers would retain the less powerful Derwent V.

On both variants, the complete S-92 empennage would be retained (with the addition of a large dorsal fin). For the fighter-trainer, the S-92 wings would also be unchanged (other than the wing-mounted Malesice M-04B/Jumo 004 engines being deleted). For the fighter version, the wings were of slightly enlarged area and refined planform.

Based on a description in the Valka forum on Czech Air Force which, in turn, was based on Letectví a Kosmonautika, 6/1993 (article by Z. Pátek, R. Theiner).
http://forum.valka.cz/viewtopic.php/p/156190

Attachments

• letov-l-52-fighter-trainer.jpg
    letov-l-52-fighter-trainer.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 768
  • letov-l-52-fighter.jpg
    letov-l-52-fighter.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 720

Tophe

Reaction score
Website
cmeunier.chez-alice.fr
I had a quick look inside the book "Ceskoslovenka letadla" by Vaclav Nemecek and did not find more, even did not find it, sorry.

Apophenia

Reaction score
Thanks for checking Tophe. It would be nice to know more about this project.

Obiously, it was cancelled for political reasons. Still, its easy to imagine a production version flying with the Klimov RD-45 in lieu of Nenes...

BTW, did you see the pre-WWII Letov S.15 transport study with vertically-arranged twin-booms?
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5789.

Petrus

Reaction score
MiBr said:
hi guys,
something I found in my archive... ;D

Michal Bradáč

It would be great if you find any other info/pictures of this remarkable project.

Best regards,
Piotr

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

there was anther Project,the L-152,it was a modern version of L-52.

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.eu/index.php?/topic/35980-czechoslovak-tech-tree-next-generation/

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
My dear Apophenia,

from the same source,here is a small Info about Letov L-152.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    165.9 KB · Views: 344

Apophenia

Reaction score
Thanks Hesham. The text is just saying that there was mention of an improved variant, the L-152, "of which, however, further details [are] unknown."