Leonardo M-346 Thread

The success story today has an unexpected outcome:

Notice how the Greek armed services, weeks ago still unduly overlooked among Europeans just completly reshaped the Southern defence of the Non-Nato alliance of that continent (Greece, Israel, UAE that will probably aggregates more Mediterranean actors).

And amazingly the raw cost of the contract will put the M-346 in the same ballpark as the Rafale, according to the recent sale (?).
Well if you are going to get your pilots trained and your own trainers trained you might as well go to one of the best.

Nigeria to receive 6 M-346 this year

kind of interested if the M-346 ever went head to head with its cousin, the Yak-130. it was long assumed that they would focus on different markets, but Nigeria seems to be a place that buys east and west. their M-346 will lead into their new JF-17s

more good news for the M-346
another order with Elbit which seems to be related to Greece
also another undisclosed customer

May 31st news but not posted yet

unknown M-346 export flying around
M-346-exotic-color-scheme.jpg

based on the colors..could be
Azeri
article_5d398a6510b4d5_76892307.jpg

or Turkmen..
71_big.jpg

I put my money on Turkmen since Leonardo actually went there to promote it

two days ago, a video of the Turkmenistan president flying in the M-346 emerges
this also means officially, Turkmenistan was that "secret" customer. case closed

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f51lG_SH_kI

I am also surprised they went for the M-346 instead of the Yak-130. I had assumed that the two agreed, as a part of the split, to focus on different markets.

Following the delivery of the M-346, the Polish Air Force entered a transition phase and now, with this certification, Polish pilots will be able to complete at Dęblin all their advanced training up to the IFF phase. Notably, the training was certified also for the future F-35 pilots therefore, like their 4th gen counterparts, they will only move to the United States when ready to attend the F-35 B-Course at Luke Air Force Base, Arizona. The assessment team also found room for further improvement, beginning from the number of flight simulators.

M-346_Bielik_Certification_2.jpg

About on par with the T-50 family:
  • M346: 153 delivered or on order across 11 operators
  • T-50 family: 272 delivered or on order across 7 operators
The number differences are quite huge to call that they are on par, imo. T-50 variant export numbers are already as much as total M-346 production and order combined. At this point they are clearly in different market segments, although their variants overlap in terms of intended roles.

Last edited: