Lasserre Libellule, twin-boom 1946

Tophe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
www.kristofmeunier.fr
In the Trait d'Union #244 (March-April 2009) is presented the Lasserre Libellule (dragonfly), revealed in "L'Aviation Française" of 1946. M. Lasserre was engineer at the SNCASO ('Sud-Ouest') company and wanted to create a fuel efficient airplane. It was being built in 1946 by the Pierre Trébod air-club but never finished it seems. Side by side two-seater with double commands. All in wood. Landing speed as low as 50km/h. Span 13m, Length 7.5m, Height 1.9m, Total weight 550kg, Max speed 130km/h."
I think I know it as "Aerosudouest Libellule" from another source. I have to check.

Attachments

• r_tu244.JPG
    r_tu244.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 453
Yes: in The Aeroplane Spotter Vol. VII No. 177 I found confirmation.
The reason of the twin-boom layout seems good visibility and easy access with a pusher propeller, like in many pre-war projects and prototypes.

Attachments

• r_AeSp177r.JPG
    r_AeSp177r.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 437
Tophe said:
It was being built in 1946 by the Pierre Trébod air-club but never finished it seems. Side by side two-seater with double commands.

Would I be right in thinking that engine availability, or rather lack of it, is what killed off the Libellule? Quite a few French projects in the immediate post-war period fell by the wayside because of lack of suitable engines, or so I believe.

Maybe. The type of engine is not mentionned. It is only explained that the goal was 10 liters of fuel for 100 kilometers at 100km/h (almost like a car of that time I think), a 4-hour flight should have been possible.

The name "Libellule" was also used for a French aircraft designed "after-hours" by an engineer of a public company: Henri Brouard of SNCAM in 1937. It had tandem wings but was not of the "Pou du Ciel" principle, simply with classical controls.
(Source: Trait d'Union #164, Nov-Dec 1995)

Attachments

• r_tu164.JPG
    r_tu164.JPG
    26.1 KB · Views: 408
Grey Havoc said:
Tophe said:
It was being built in 1946 by the Pierre Trébod air-club but never finished it seems. Side by side two-seater with double commands.

Would I be right in thinking that engine availability, or rather lack of it, is what killed off the Libellule? Quite a few French projects in the immediate post-war period fell by the wayside because of lack of suitable engines, or so I believe.

AFAIK, it was the lack of FRENCH engines, that could be obtained without the need for spending foreign currencies.
US engines would have been available, but only for payment in US $, which were in short supply in the European
countries during the early post-war years, not only in France.

From Aviation Francaise 1946.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    816.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 2.png
    2.png
    715.3 KB · Views: 35
The name "Libellule" was also used for a French aircraft designed "after-hours" by an engineer of a public company: Henri Brouard of SNCAM in 1937. It had tandem wings but was not of the "Pou du Ciel" principle, simply with classical controls.
(Source: Trait d'Union #164, Nov-Dec 1995)
From Ailes.

Attachments

• Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k6554703p_12.jpeg
    Les_Ailes___journal_hebdomadaire_[...]_bpt6k6554703p_12.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21