L-W-F Aircraft & Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

this company designed some little known aircraft,first was Butterfly,a high wing light monoplane, and here is an artist drawing to airplane from 1920,called Aerial Freighter,maybe it was the same OWL aeroplane,frankly I don't know.

I wish to see a Projects for this company,the only one I know it is;

NBS-2 - Smaller, 3p two-motor night bomber version of Model H Owl as XNBS-2 (span: 90'0" length: 46'0"). Project cancelled; 2 ordered but none was built.

Source; Aircraft Yearbook 1920

Attachments

• LWF-1.png
    LWF-1.png
    459.8 KB · Views: 284
  • LWF-butterfly.jpg
    LWF-butterfly.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 249
  • LWF-2.png
    LWF-2.png
    434.8 KB · Views: 244
  • LWF-owl.jpg
    LWF-owl.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
From Aircraft Yearbook 1923.

Attachments

• 1921-3.png
    1921-3.png
    993.8 KB · Views: 185
The Lowe Willard Fowler Engineering Co "model H" is the Owl mailplane.
Same as the "model L" is the Butterfly, touted in 1920 as 'smallest practical airplane in the world'.
Model G was produced during WW1.

The Smithsonian NASM has a collection of photos of LWF, if you have access to it. (I don't)

Thank you my dear Dan,

but I can't access to it.

In case this is helpful -

Here's a link to photos of LWF aircraft (designed & manufactured, as well as license-built) at the San Diego Air & Space Museum (SDASM) Archives' Flickr Commons photostream:
Flickr Commons - SDASM Archives - Photos tagged "LWF"

Also, here's a link to a collection of photos posted by the US Library of Congress, at their Flickr Commons photostream, of L.W.F.'s production at College Point, NY, circa May 1917- February 1918 (dates based on the type of U.S. roundel illustrated). The photos appear to focus on the wartime production of the L.W.F. Model V Tractor training aircraft:
Flickr Commons - US National Archives - Photos tagged "L.W.F. Engineering"

One of the neat coincidences in the National Archives collection of L.W.F. photos is this photo, which (like the others) was apparently taken during a press "open house" opportunity at L.W.F., as there is simultaneous British Pathe newsreel footage of the occasion (see the 8-second mark of the posted newsreel below):
20624707043_5582dee3b0.jpg

YouTube - British Pathé (Film ID FILM ID:1874.28) - "American Aeroplane Factory & Flight, 1917 - 1918 AKA Americans Bid For Air Mastery (1917-1918)"

Last edited:
While I don't have any documents stating the specific destruction date of the LWF Model H Owl, I do have official Army Air Service documents looking for a place to store the Owl at various air bases as late as August 11, 1924, and others discussing testing the H-2 bomb rack on the Owl dating from July 10, 1924 and going to at least August 11, 1924.

Submitted for your consideration,

AlanG