KB-7 R-05v Rocket Fighter Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Russian KB-7 (Construction Bureau 7) designed the R-05v,it was a fighter
to climb at 40/50 m/s to a height of 50km with cruise engine and two solid
boost motors for launch.

Thanks Hesham. Do you have a reference for this R-05v fighter?

I ask because the performance figures are identical to the base R-05 stratospheric rocket (50-km altitude beginning with a ramp velocity of 40-50 m/sec). But the R-05 could not possibly have accommodated a pilot (R-05 diameter was only 200 mm, length was 2250 mm, payload was only 4 kg).

For a sideview cutaway drawing of the KB-7's base R-05 rocket see:
http://www.sil.si.edu/SmithsonianContributions/AnnalsofFlight/pdf_lo/SAOF-0010.pdf

The 'v' in R-05v suggests a direct derivative. Eg: the R-05g variant designed for a more angled flight (I'm guessing that the 'g' stood for 'gyroscope'). I have no idea what the 'v' stood for but it may have been as simple as 'vertical' (вертикальный).

I'd postulate that the R-05v was a planned anti-aircraft derivative of the base R-05 rocket which would be more within KB-7's R&D mandate from the Ministry of the Ammunition Industry. Plus, Korneev's main reason to form KB-7 in the first place the development of liquid-fuelled rocket motors, not airframes.

My dear Apophenia,

the source for KB-7 R-05v is the book; The Osprey Encyclopedia of
Russian Aircraft 1875-1995.

Hi,

is there any drawing survivor to this fighter project ?.

Apophenia said:
Thanks Hesham. Do you have a reference for this R-05v fighter?

I ask because the performance figures are identical to the base R-05 stratospheric rocket (50-km altitude beginning with a ramp velocity of 40-50 m/sec). But the R-05 could not possibly have accommodated a pilot (R-05 diameter was only 200 mm, length was 2250 mm, payload was only 4 kg).

For a sideview cutaway drawing of the KB-7's base R-05 rocket see:
http://www.sil.si.edu/SmithsonianContributions/AnnalsofFlight/pdf_lo/SAOF-0010.pdf

The 'v' in R-05v suggests a direct derivative. Eg: the R-05g variant designed for a more angled flight (I'm guessing that the 'g' stood for 'gyroscope'). I have no idea what the 'v' stood for but it may have been as simple as 'vertical' (вертикальный).

I'd postulate that the R-05v was a planned anti-aircraft derivative of the base R-05 rocket which would be more within KB-7's R&D mandate from the Ministry of the Ammunition Industry. Plus, Korneev's main reason to form KB-7 in the first place the development of liquid-fuelled rocket motors, not airframes.

We can imagine if this rocket have a cockpit and wing to be a fighter.

Attachments

• R-05.JPG
    R-05.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 267
From, The Osprey Encyclopedia of Russian Aircraft 1875-1995,

more Info about the Construction Bureau KB-7.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    166 KB · Views: 57