KARI Bora Twin-Boom Light Aircraft

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the Korean KARI (Korea Aerospace Research Institute) designed a four-seat mid-wing
light aircraft monoplane Project,powered by one pusher 250 hp piston engine.

JAWA 2004/2005

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    195.6 KB · Views: 291
  • 2.png
    2.png
    149.4 KB · Views: 277
Very rare type! The Bora had a tragic ending.

I have done quite a bit of research on the Bora for my new website as it is loosely related to KARI's later efforts with the FireFly, a joint effort with U.S. company Proxy Aviation Systems. It was quite a challenge because most sources were in Korean and very scarce as the Bora is an unpleasant episode that few Korean sites wish to dwell upon...

The KARI FireFly was developed by the Korean Aerospace Research Institute, from a Velocity XL fuselage with shorter wings, no winglets, twin fins on separate tail booms, using both local and US parts. The FireFly was used as a demonstrator at Velocity's plant in Florida, then flown on a South American/South Pole exploration flight.

KARI simultaneously worked on an alternate design, an original Korean prototype named the Bora (Greek for "northern wind"). Developed with Korean ultralight manufacturer Sung Jun Motoravia, the Bora had similar overall configuration but with cranked forward swept wings and joined tail fins (pi-tail). It crashed fatally in 2004 during its test flight, killing its two pilots, both respected veterans in their field. Investigations showed that the pi-tail was structurally weak and entered into deep vibration during flight. This probably caused the composite structure to break in flight, although it is also possible that the aircraft simply stalled as a consequence of deep vibration and the pilots couldn't recover it.

The last picture shows both the FireFly and the Bora for comparison purposes.

Attachments

• htm_2007100714273130003010-001.JPG
    htm_2007100714273130003010-001.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 245
  • %EC%9E%94%ED%95%B4.png
    %EC%9E%94%ED%95%B4.png
    283.8 KB · Views: 236
  • 20040905_03.jpg
    20040905_03.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 228
Nice find my dear Skyblazer,

I thought wrong it was a project.

hesham said:
I thought wrong it was a project.

No problem, I've edited the topic's title accordingly.

Also, the topic about the KARI FireFly is here:
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,16207.0

Hi Skyblazer :)
Thank you very much for the info on the Bora. Very sad that it had to end this way.
Would tyou know what FCFA (painted on the fuselage side) stood for?

walter said:
Would tyou know what FCFA (painted on the fuselage side) stood for?

I don't think that's FCFA, I think it's BORA, quite simply!!

Back
Top Bottom