KAI KF-21 Boramae (KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter program)

Liking the look of the aircraft carrier, so they have gone with the larger sized Queen Elizabeth design. How many will the South Korean's potentially order? Two?
quite frankly, potentially zero.
its what the shipping industry wants.
almost all reports from the government side indicate that they are against it and prefer to invest in other things such as more submarines and destroyers.

that said, it also seems the designs aren't stabilized either, it keeps changing every year
with the more recent iterations switching to CATOBAR.
Seems like no one really wants STOBAR. China is moving away from it
and India wants a non STOBAR ship for their next ship as well.
if Korea does go for a carrier, would prefer it be either CATOBAR or STOVL.

In that case I would think the best and only option for South Korea would be to go for the CATOBAR. And possibly go for smaller STOVL carriers later on with potential sizes in the 20-40,000 tonne class for F-35B operations.

In that case I would think the best and only option for South Korea would be to go for the CATOBAR. And possibly go for smaller STOVL carriers later on with potential sizes in the 20-40,000 tonne class for F-35B operations.
Agreed, if you're going to build a carrier, build a carrier. Something the size of the Midway class, specifically the Coral Sea due to the better flight deck angle. 46ktons standard displacement, 60k full load. Two deck edge elevators aft (port and starboard), one forward of the island; yes that's how the Ford is arranged. Two catapults forward.

^ I'd be wary of that twitter account. Mason has been hit or miss.
he was the source of the incorrect information on the UAE deal as well as spreading false information on CVX 3.
a lot of the images he posts up are modified from the original source.

AoA restricted but still, the fact they are confident enough to display it in front of the public is a gage of the excellence of their FBW laws.
The precision in handling is also remarkable. Is that still one of their test pilots?
There are definitely some burbles there in the routine. 0:40, 1:27, etc. Could be the pilot I suppose.

Last edited:
Nice to see the twin seater Boramae appering in photos now, would they develop a strike variant of the trainer in the future like what the USAF did with the Strike Eagle?
I suspect so, even if only to use the backseater as the drone wrangler.

Personally, I suspect all late 5Gen and 6Gen aircraft to be 2-seaters for that reason.

ROKAF pursue MUM-T based on KF-X around 2040
This is ROKAF plan, which still has a lot of room for change. KAI is planning for a MUM-T demonstration by 2028 using FA-50 and full-scale implementation by 2037.

This is ROKAF plan, which still has a lot of room for change. KAI is planning for a MUM-T demonstration by 2028 using FA-50 and full-scale implementation by 2037.
I really hope they're planning on using the 2-seaters for drone wrangling...

There were some recent developments concerning Indonesian involvement in the programme.

• Indonesia was to submit their future plans concerning how they will continue their financial contribution to the programme until the end of June, but this didn't happen.
  • Chief of DAPA visited Indonesia earlier this month to meet Indonesian presidential secretary and officials of the MoD to discuss how they are going to resolve current situation.
  • In this year's annual Parliamentary Audit, Chief of DAPA reported that he has conveyed the Korean position to the Indonesian delegation, that it would be inevitable for the bilateral agreements and Indonesian involvement in the programme to be reconsidered, with a possibility of termination of co-development, should they fail to submit "trustable plan concerning Indonesian financial contribution for the next 3 years until 2026" within this month.
  • MPs requested DAPA to prepare plan B should Indonesia ultimately fail to fulfil their contribution to the programme. This request was bipartisan. MPs were aware that, despite the Indonesian position attributing their belated and reluctant participation in the programme to fiscal straits, they are pursuing the acquisition of new fighters in Rafale and F-15EX, which contradicts with such position.

I haven't been and still am not sure about what Indonesian government and MoD's positions are concerning the programme, but whatever it may be, I do hope that they pick a clear stance and commit to it, hopefully with better communication. Would've been better had they've done so a few years ago already instead of keeping this absurd position for the last 5 years, but well, what's gone's gone.

Personally, apart from their recent decision to acquire Rafales and F-15EX, I think the biggest issue right now is the fact that KF-21 will enter LRIP next year. Under original agreements, PTDI was supposed to supply structural components to KAI for both the ROKAF KF-21 as well as Indonesian Air Force IF-X. Now Korean subcontractors are instead supplying these components and are planned to do so once it enters mass production. I think, DAPA wants to get rid of the vagueness and doesn't want to leave the door open for possible problems that could arise in case Indonesia re-commits to the programme too late. This could lead to an awkward situation where Korean subcontractros are already contracted to supply parts which Indonesia would've supplied, but since Indonesia is again committed, they could demand the industrial production share to be retained as outlined in the agreement.

Whatever happens, I hope that the current situation actually reaches a solution once and for all.

We have to admit that Rafale and F-15 deal are rather insulting for Korea.
Insulting or not, it's their choice afterall and Koreans've got no rights to stop them from buying whatever fighters they want. Though they should be sincere while they are doing so regarding their positions and intentions concerning the IF-X programme. Right now they are acting borderline deceptive. I think I share this opinion with lots of other people, including the MPs and DAPA personnel.

So will the Rafale and F-15 deal affect the numbers of Boramae purchased by Indonesia? Or will they continue to purchase the numbers of Boramae aircraft as agreed? It all depends on what the Rafale and F-15 will replace.

We have to admit that Rafale and F-15 deal are rather insulting for Korea.
Well roughly speaking Boramae capability-wise is kind of like a re-dressed Superbug anyway. (i mean no disrespect, a Superbug with a lower RCS would certainly be a mean machine)

Well roughly speaking Boramae capability-wise is kind of like a re-dressed Superbug anyway. (i mean no disrespect, a Superbug with a lower RCS would certainly be a mean machine)

This brings to mind a question… Is there a good summary anywhere of which KF-21 equipment is being supplied or designed with the help of non-Korean companies? (Engines obviously, but also avionics etc)

Also curious about the development status of the major electronics items that were blocked by the US (AESA radar, IRST, ESM/ECM suite, EO targeting pod). Are these items being developed from scratch or leveraging foreign technologies?

Trying to get a sense of whether the KF-21’s avionics will really be up to par with the best out there from the US/Europe/Israel…

This brings to mind a question… Is there a good summary anywhere of which KF-21 equipment is being supplied or designed with the help of non-Korean companies? (Engines obviously, but also avionics etc)

Also curious about the development status of the major electronics items that were blocked by the US (AESA radar, IRST, ESM/ECM suite, EO targeting pod). Are these items being developed from scratch or leveraging foreign technologies?

Trying to get a sense of whether the KF-21’s avionics will really be up to par with the best out there from the US/Europe/Israel…
Korea historically makes really good electronics, and has for a couple of decades or more (how long have Samsung and LG been go-to products?). I fully expect the KF21 to have electronics parity with the Gripen or F-35 with 100% indigenous electronics.

Had an interesting point made to me on FB yesterday.

Apparently the 2-seat KF21 exists because of the Indonesians wanting a trainer. Which becomes good for Korea since it gives them a back seater to wrangle drones.

I'm amazed by how the latest radars are packing such power and fidelity in such small packages. Same goes for the EO systems. Scary good.

I'm amazed by how the latest radars are packing such power and fidelity in such small packages. Same goes for the EO systems. Scary good.
on that note, are there any information on the KF-21's radar?
Hanhwa, the manufacturer, barely has any basic information on it.
For example, basic size, maybe TR modules, etc