KAI KF-21 Boramae (KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter program)

They'll be small missiles though. I thought we previously got that the bay was designed around either 2 x AMRAAM or 4xSDB. There's pretty clearly not space for 3 x AMRAAMs per bay to me.

I have an observation, the South Koreans are moving at a pretty rapid pace involving this aircraft's flight test program, they are already integrating and launching weapons, how long did it take us (the USA) to get to this point with the F-22 and F-35, maybe we have something to learn?

I have an observation, the South Koreans are moving at a pretty rapid pace involving this aircraft's flight test program, they are already integrating and launching weapons, how long did it take us (the USA) to get to this point with the F-22 and F-35, maybe we have something to learn?
There’s a bit of difference from an end to end guided launch and safe separation. The test boom indicates the later. That said, USAF would wait until after P&FQ completed and the control law changes settled down. BTW there’s nothing wrong with safe sep if that part of the envelope is cleared, more of an available body to plan/analyze and ROK may well be properly motivated to field quickly…

Wait until someone hears about the B-21

They'll be small missiles though. I thought we previously got that the bay was designed around either 2 x AMRAAM or 4xSDB. There's pretty clearly not space for 3 x AMRAAMs per bay to me.
Well if it's 2 amraams+4 sdb that wouldn't be far off the f-22 would it?

The bay pics are already out in the open
note that there is a semi recessed area on the bottom, but this can be removed and the entire bay. utilized.
but the bottom panel gives you scale as they are shaped for AMRAAM/Meteor

El96ym6UcAASHPG.jpg:large

The second YF-22 conducted a pair of unguided test launches, one AIM-9 (28 November 1990) and one AIM-120 (20 December 1990), the AIM-9 occurring less than a month after its 28 October 1990 first flight date.

In contrast the first missile launch (unguided) from an F-22A, the second airframe, was 25 July 2000. F-22A #2 first flew on 29 July 1998, so obviously a much greater gap between first flight and first launch but that was probably due to planning out a much more involved test program. Could they have undertaken a shot earlier? Highly likely provided the aircraft was equipped for it, given that it took less than a month to do so with the YF-22.

Even the F-35 A/C is supposed to accept 3 per bay in the future (aka sidekick).

Significantly? Boramae isn't a small aircraft either. Actually it is a bit longer than F-35A.

Last edited:
GYH2021040900100004402_P2.jpg

Based on this, yeah, it seems quite a bit longer than the F-35
which is 15.6 x 4.36 x 10.7

Last edited:
We don't know yet how the IWB will finally look like. IF it is long enough missiles could be offset longitudinal and IF it is deep enough a vertical offset may be possible as well. It appears there is plenty of volume available below the intake ducts. It's rather a matter of how much fuel one is willing to trade for ordnance.

Attachments

• war-20200903-101525-012.jpg
    war-20200903-101525-012.jpg
    839.1 KB · Views: 210
Significantly? Boramae isn't a small aircraft either. Actually it is a bit longer than F-35A.
Ah, i suppose that i mostly had fuselage cross section in my mind

I imagine the AMRAAMs will be longitudinally offset in the bay

I would given the image shown above by helmutkohl - it just isn't possible without some serious redesign.
Even if you chop the fins off and don't want to launch them, I fail to see how 3 per bay would fit.
Seems to me to be the opposite, you couldn't fit three meteors, but if you can off set the third missile in the middle forward by a few inches, three amraams should be possible if a little tight.

That is exceptionally quick for a brand new aircraft to enter IOC then LRIP a year later, that would put most western manufactures to shame in regards to military aircraft manufacture.

Well Seems our pilot finally get to fly the KF-21.

Reportedly the Indonesian pilot was in the back seat

But a nice step forward, I guess. In the future he'll get to fly the prototype no. 005 (which flew for the first time just today) when everything gets settled

That is exceptionally quick for a brand new aircraft to enter IOC then LRIP a year later, that would put most western manufactures to shame in regards to military aircraft manufacture.
It's intended role might be at the beginning... Very basic.

Still a prowess.

Meanwhile, across Germany, France and Spain, the Best Athletes are fork fighting.

Korean acquisition laws allow something called "preliminary IOC" for acquisition programs that takes a long time and where it could be needed to avoid bureaucratic slow-downs, such as in combat vessel acquisition. This is also where KF-21 is in. An actual IOC comparable to that of US DoD MCA process will be declared later. This time the preliminary IOC was brought forward by around 6 months to be cleared of budgetary issues regarding the schedule of Korean fiscal year. Overall IOT&E schedules aren't changed much and the first deployment of operational units will take place by 2026 as planned before.

Last edited:
It's impressive progress by any standards of any modern military aircraft programme.

Also, 5th prototype flew. They'll be on full six bird test fleet very soon.
this one has a unique color scheme compared to the others
is this the one that will be sent to Indonesia?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 11.19.101.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 11.19.101.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 99
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 10.35.04.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 10.35.04.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 81
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 11.19.102.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 11.19.102.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 76
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 11.19.10.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-05-17 at 11.19.10.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 98
From my eyes, KFX/IFX looks so much more serious than TFX. I really like TFX/IFX aircraft.

Soon, she will fly alongside with Rafale fighters !

Yup, 003 and 005 are a bit different in terms of their camo. The last time I've posted the infographics it was a bit lowres so here's a better one :

24422_43855_4520.jpg

If you ask me I prefer the camo schemes of 003 and 005. 005 especially looks way better under real lighting conditions on an actual aircraft, compared to the graphic.

Yes, the 005 is the one that is supposed to be sent to Indonesia but we'll see how that turns out. Their government now seems a bit more serious about getting their shit together and back on track since the thing flew. I've heard that they've recently also sent a plan about the detailed schedules of the resumption of their payment including a transaction plan for the arrears, though I'll only trust what they're saying once those arrears are actually resolved; so is also the apporach by the Korean government and I'm glad they're not playing soft here. Also, Poland touting their interest on more cooperation with the Koreans, including a potential involvement in block-2 and a co-development of block-3, is acting as a sort of a wake-up call which I find very beneficial to the program.

Last edited:
Yup, 003 and 005 are a bit different in terms of their camo. The last time I've posted the infographics it was a bit lowres so here's a better one :

View attachment 699946

If you ask me I prefer the camo schemes of 003 and 005. 005 especially looks way better under real lighting conditions on an actual aircraft, compared to the graphic.

Yes, the 005 is the one that is supposed to be sent to Indonesia but we'll see how that turns out. Their government now seems a bit more serious about getting their shit together and back on track since the thing flew. I've heard that they've recently also sent a plan about the detailed schedules of the resumption of their payment including a transaction plan for the arrears, though I'll only trust what they're saying once those arrears are actually resolved; so is also the apporach by the Korean government and I'm glad they're not playing soft here. Also, Poland touting their interest on more cooperation with the Koreans, including a potential involvement in block-2 and a co-development of block-3, is acting as a sort of a wake-up call which I find very beneficial to the program.
I love light grey camo KF-21 ! It’s so cute !

very glad to hear that Indonesian involvement is back on track in a variety of areas
one thing I just realized is that with Indonesia's purchase of Rafales, they can share Meteor missiles with the KF-21.
Maybe the IRIS-T too?

I'm not sure about IRIS-T, maybe Stealthflanker can answer that. I mostly aware that the media still talking about Indonesia payment on the project

View: https://youtu.be/cqXBMuxKiWY

Hyundai Heavy Industry KCVX (CATOBAR) + KF-21N mockup @MADEX2023
Any info why they decided to have two bridges like the Britains? I thought they didn' have such good experiences with two bridges?.
View: https://youtu.be/kdBsVmkSmo0

Also, 5th prototype flew. They'll be on full six bird test fleet very soon.
I like the landing videos where you can see how the FBW system works.
thanks for the info stealth flanker.
i wonder how serious KAI will be in adopting the EL/M-2052 for export on that jet

back to KF-21 i saw this floating around. the evolution of the KFX to the final configuration C109 which would be come KF-21
C104 is interesting as it reminds me a lot of the YF-22 in some areas

q5ig8n53pls61.png
Interesting. Seems that they made similar changes on the horizontal stabilizer like they did for the F-22 from YF-22. Are these changes made to improve aerodynamics or steath characteristics?