KAI KF-21 Boramae (KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter program)

If they sell one to the PAF they may as well send one to China. Same thing these days.
Do you mean by the Pakistani Air Force?

What I intended was the Phillippines
Not as clear as Pakistan but the Philippines are definitely in the Chinese camp as well.
Could be, could not be. Philippine may be economically dependent to China, but otoh there are ongoing conflicts around South China Sea.

Well Philippine is already a customer of various Korean weapon systems so...

Last edited:
If they sell one to the PAF they may as well send one to China. Same thing these days.

Not as clear as Pakistan but the Philippines are definitely in the Chinese camp as well.
not really. they have a major territorial dispute with the PRC

Could have sworn I saw a few months ago that China was building a naval base in the Philippines, or going to use an existing one. :confused:

Looks like it was this, in Cambodia:

Maybe Philippines would be okay.

Last edited:

Could have sworn I saw a few months ago that China was building a naval base in the Philippines, or going to use an existing one. :confused:

Philippines has firmly been in the US camp for most of its post WW2 history. There was a period when during the Duterte administration, they tried to warm up to China and distance themselves from the US, in hopes the CCP would change their minds on the territorial dispute.
But the CCP still maintained their stance, and in many cases, were more aggressive in their claims, and so the Philippines is back to the US camp again.

I would say the countries close to China in Asia, is Cambodia and Pakistan.. and to a lesser extent Laos and Myanmar.

Philippines has firmly been in the US camp for most of its post WW2 history. There was a period when during the Duterte administration, they tried to warm up to China and distance themselves from the US, in hopes the CCP would change their minds on the territorial dispute.
But the CCP still maintained their stance, and in many cases, were more aggressive in their claims, and so the Philippines is back to the US camp again.

I would say the countries close to China in Asia, is Cambodia and Pakistan.. and to a lesser extent Laos and Myanmar.
Yep. Found the source of my confusion and edited my post.

I did not realise that the Philippines were friendly with the Chinese as well, looks like they might go for the JF-31 in that case if Pakistan orders some, though it depends on how much the KF-21's export variant cost's compared with the JF-31.

As already stated, the Phillipines will be unlikely to be able to afford.
to be fair
the Philippines has recently been very aggressive in updating their hardware in the last 10 years
New T-129s, FA-50s, frigates, corvettes, Brahmos missiles, Sabrah tanks, etc
a stark change from the 90s and 2000s when they kept on using even WW2 and 50-60s era equipment

All part of Duterte's AFP modernization act which is set to enter phase 3. since the new administration is led by his ally and daughter, I suspect they will continue this policy.

to be fair
the Philippines has recently been very aggressive in updating their hardware in the last 10 years
a stark change from the 90s and 2000s when they kept on using even WW2 and 50-60s era equipment

All part of Duterte's AFP modernization act which is set to enter phase 3. since the new administration is led by his ally and daughter, I suspect they will continue this policy.
True, but they do seem to be buying things in very small numbers.

Hopefully they have a good handle on the logistics of their modernization, and leave themselves in the situation where any future expansion will be as smooth as possible.

to be fair

Hopefully they have a good handle on the logistics of their modernization, and leave themselves in the situation where any future expansion will be as smooth as possible.
tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if they did buy the KF-21.. but like 4-6 of them tops.

to be fair

tbh, I wouldn't be surprised if they did buy the KF-21.. but like 4-6 of them tops.

Philippines buying only 4/6 KF-21s? I would have thought that one or two squadrons worth would be enough. By the way what fighters are the Philippine Air Force currently flying?

to be fair

Philippines buying only 4/6 KF-21s? I would have thought that one or two squadrons worth would be enough. By the way what fighters are the Philippine Air Force currently flying?
FA50

to be fair

FA50

Thanks Umigami. Also, how many fighter squadrons do the Philippine Air Force have currently.

to be fair
Putting some context:

12 x KAI FA-50PH - basically armed trainers
2 x T-129 with 4 more on order - a light attack helicopter
2 x Jose Rizal-class frigates
2 x HDC-3100 Corvette - in construction
3 x batteries (thus an estimated 27 missiles) of land-based BrahMos Missile
18 x Sabrah light tanks - based off the ASCOD IFV platform

And to be completely honest, it wasn't Duterte who is the architect of this as The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Modernization Act, was originally kicked off in the mid 1990s by President Ramos.

to be fair
Putting some context:

12 x KAI FA-50PH - basically armed trainers
2 x T-129 with 4 more on order - a light attack helicopter
2 x Jose Rizal-class frigates
2 x HDC-3100 Corvette - in construction
3 x batteries (thus an estimated 27 missiles) of land-based BrahMos Missile
18 x Sabrah light tanks - based off the ASCOD IFV platform

And to be completely honest, it wasn't Duterte who is the architect of this as The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) Modernization Act, was originally kicked off in the mid 1990s by President Ramos.
+ 2 Wildcat Helicopters

KAI revealed a model of naval variant of KF-21, KF-21N, at DX KOREA 2022

1663665561.jpg

The argument to develop the new variant gained momentum after the reconsideration of CVX program ; the assessment process that compares the STOVL carrier with F-35Bs and the bigger CATOBAR/STOBAR carrier with possible KF-21Ns or F-35Cs is now in progress

Last edited:
The argument to develop the new variant gained momentum after the reconsideration of CVX program ; the assessment process that compares the STOVL carrier with F-35Bs and the bigger CATOBAR/STOBAR carrier with possible KF-21Ns or F-35Cs is now in progress

Liking the sound of that, a naval variant of the Boramae onboard South Korean future CVX carriers I would think that the best option would be to go for the CATOBAR carriers because of the extra maximum take off weight a naval Boramae could carry and bring back.

View attachment 684299

Also, it respresents Supersonic ramjet air-to-ground or ship missile.

It would provide stronger capability

KF-21N:
length:17.1m (KF-21: 16.9m)
wingspan:12.3m (KF-21: 11.2m)
height:5.2m (KF-21: 4.7m)
MTOW:25600kg (KF-21: 25400kg)
payload: 7620kg (KF-21:7700kg)

Max speed:M1.6 (KF-21: M1.8)

View attachment 684365

One thing that puzzles me about the picture of the navalised variant of the KF-21N is that it is shown with the same layout as the Air Force KF-21, I am sure that by the time that the naval variant is designed they would have put in internal weapon’s bays instead of being semi recessed.

KF-21N:

View attachment 684365

One thing that puzzles me about the picture of the navalised variant of the KF-21N is that it is shown with the same layout as the Air Force KF-21, I am sure that by the time that the naval variant is designed they would have put in internal weapon’s bays instead of being semi recessed.
It depends.

According to the current timetable of the research process, presented by ADD, the technologies needed to develop a full-fledged 5+ Gen fighter jet (which is, probably KF-21 Block III) will be available around 2027; the internal weapons bay, on-board EOTS, conformal antenna, advanced RAS and RAM, indigenous turbofan engines, and etc., are planned to be first utilized and tested on the prototype of the KUS-LW, the Korean Loyal Wingman, around 2025-2027. Making the KF-21 Block III will be the next step, so it should begin in 2028 even if all the things were finished in time with no delays.

Given that the CVX is expected to launch and to be commissioned around early to mid-2030s, the chance of the naval variant of Block III being available before the launch is quite low, unless the RoK gov't decides to make both the Block III's airforce variant and the naval variant at the same time.

Last edited:
KF-21N:

View attachment 684365

It depends.

According to the current timetable of the research process, presented by ADD, the technologies needed to develop a full-fledged 5+ Gen fighter jet (which is, probably KF-21 Block III) will be available around 2027; the internal weapons bay, on-board EOTS, conformal antenna, advanced RAS and RAM, indigenous turbofan engines, and etc., are planned to be first utilized and tested on the prototype of the KUS-LW, the Korean Loyal Wingman, around 2025-2027. Making the KF-21 Block III will be the next step, so it should begin in 2028 even if all the things were finished in time with no delays.

Given that the CVX is expected to launch and to be commissioned around early to mid-2030s, the chance of the naval variant of Block III being available before the launch is quite low, unless the RoK gov't decides to make both the Block III's airforce variant and the naval variant in the same time.

I want both block 3 variants of the KF-21 to be designed and built at the same time, as far as I can see it would not be that difficult to do both the naval and Air Force variants together even if it means that there is a slight delay to get them both to active squadrons.

View attachment 684299

Also, it respresents Supersonic ramjet air-to-ground or ship missile.

It would provide stronger capability

this would be a good chance to invite India to join a naval KF-21 instead of going alone for a small number of TEDBFs, especially given that the KF-21 is actually flying.
Doubt that will happen - too much ego riding on Tejas.

That what we can call a gentle stall. Congrats to all the FBW computer nerds that can now probably claim to be on par with Europe's best Athletes... Oh wait, let's not (over) complicate the thing.