KAI KF-21 Boramae (KFX Korean Indigenous Fighter program)

Accompanying the KF-21 is a more conventional tailed LO design that looks like a mishmash between GA Longshot and Boeing Aus. Loyal Wingman, dubbed the KUS-LW. The reason for such change was apparently considerations concerning maneuverability in air to air combat.
View attachment 682888
KAL KUS-LW rendering.

And which also looks like e.g. some EADS concept-art from 2002

Attachments

• EADS_UCAV-LW_concept_2002_a.JPG
    EADS_UCAV-LW_concept_2002_a.JPG
    265.6 KB · Views: 111
  • EADS_UCAV-LW_concept_2002_b.JPG
    EADS_UCAV-LW_concept_2002_b.JPG
    926.1 KB · Views: 92
And which also looks like e.g. some EADS concept-art from 2002
Funnily enough, when the original KUS-X bid was open, KAI came up with a proposal that really strongly resembled Barracuda. Later they've realized that AF's emphasis lies more heavily on stealth than maneuverability and went flying eing, but just a fun fact.

How far the wingman progress goes currently? Waiting for KF-21=KUS-X fly together in test fly.
Low-bypass engine development for said drones is under progress. The development of the engine core was completed by 2019 and the full engine is in development aiming to be completed by 2025. Program is currently in prototype phase. There are plans to develop increased thrust models(a high-bypass engine and an augmented thrust ie AB equipped model) but those are planned as a follow-up after 2025.

Other developments concerning stealth designs(eg: exhaust shape), control software(eg: onboard mission and flight control autonomy ie something like Skyborg), MUM-T(eg: STANAG 4586 based interfaces and a CDL with directional communication), etc are also in the pipeline. A KF-21ーKUS teaming is being planned to be implemented in the early 30s so it will still take a while. Development of individual aircrafts would be completed by late 20s~early 30s.

2030 is pretty far away. Well, step by step i guess.
Why KUS-X need afterburner? Seems unnecessary to me. Is it for KF-21? Alternative engine is good for KF-21 development and export sales.

Square nozzle like Okhotnik probably can help KUS-X IR signature but lets wait for it to fly first.

Why KUS-X need afterburner?
The AB is not meant for KUS-X. Maybe for KUS-LW perhaps, but it is primarily a technology development-demonstration project. Like I've said, such development would only happen later.
Square nozzle like Okhotnik probably can help KUS-X IR signature but lets wait for it to fly first.
Flat nozzle is already in design.

Structural-Layout-of-the-2D-exhaust-nozzle-with-multiple-composite-layers.png
nozzle material composition

Layout-of-rear-side-of-the-target-turbofan-engine.png
exhaust mixer

Temperature-distributions-at-each-stations-of-nozzles.png
temperature distribution analysis with and without 2d nozzle and mixer

2d nozzel prottype manufacturing improvements.png
improvements to the nozzle manufacturing techniques learnt from prototypes

Philippines AF shows some interest:

The Philippines AF showing interest in the KF-21, that is certainly interesting news TomcatVIP, if true the Philippines will become the first export customer for the KF-21. And I wish that would be the first of many orders for South Korea.

Iirc, southeast asian order will be handled by Indonesia. Atleast will be assembled by them. But idk if that deal is changed or not

It appears to me that South Korea has done a superb job of becoming an "alternate" source to western leaning countries that would prefer to have fewer strings and budget busting cost associated with their defense acquisitions. The surprise (at least to me) decisions by Poland certainly seems to have put the Korean MIC in good standing. The Pacific Rim is a great venue, assuming the quality of their product stands up over time.

It appears to me that South Korea has done a superb job of becoming an "alternate" source to western leaning countries that would prefer to have fewer strings and budget busting cost associated with their defense acquisitions. The surprise (at least to me) decisions by Poland certainly seems to have put the Korean MIC in good standing. The Pacific Rim is a great venue, assuming the quality of their product stands up over time.

However, given that they're still using U.S. engines, we (The U.S.) will still have veto rights over any sale.

I am pretty sure that South Korea would have equal reluctance to give away the best of their own technology in the wrong hands than the US would do with their engines. Hence, the risk of any deal being slashed by a US veto is pretty null.

Last edited:
^ vetoes have happened with the FA-50. it would not be far fetched to think it could happen with the KF-21

US blocks sale to Uzbekistan

UK blocks sale to Argentina

T-50 has no sensitive technology as viewed from Sth Korea. I doubt however that Uzbekistan fits South Korea arm exports policy for a Stealth fighter jet!

IMOHO, ban on the FA-50 sale to Argentina is mostly UK national politics. It has not much to do with the US.

T-50 has no sensitive technology as viewed from Sth Korea. I doubt however that Uzbekistan fits South Korea arm exports policy for a Stealth fighter jet!

IMOHO, ban on the FA-50 sale to Argentina is mostly UK national politics. It has not much to do with the US.
If you read the article above.. the US blocked exports of the T-50 to Uzbekistan because they were worried about sensitive technology falling into Russian or Chinese hands

South Korea on the other hand, has always showed interest in deals with the former Soviet Union such as Uzbekistan, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, etc. And in the past have exported things there, such as naval ships to Kazakhstan, small arms to Uzbekistan, etc.
Uzbekistan and Korea also have a generally positive relationship with each other, from the industrial aspects such as a number of joint ventures in automobiles, to the cultural areas, with a number of Uzbeks becoming popular celebrities in S.Korea
With events in Ukraine, there's been a desire among a number of former Soviet states wanting to diversify their equipment. Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan are two in particular that have been focused on that. If South Korea doesn't step in, its likely Turkey or even China will.

As said by an earlier poster here..
the market for KF-21 will is basically.. countries that are generally on the side of the US.. but not close enough to get the F-35.
i.e. Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, probably Iraq, Egypt, etc
and possibly actual F-35 customers too
i.e. Poland, Greece

Last edited:
@helmutkohl : Thank you for the cultural refresh. I wasn't fully aware of that aspect but that of the risks of dissemination.
I still think that most export attempts wouldn't see much confrontation b/w the two administrations, especially when having a racing horse made in Asia that will likely tickle the interest and pride of other nations in the region would be a very positive opportunity for the US to outmanoeuvre China expension, often made through security exchanges.

Notice that, traditionally, this was the role of the European aerospace industry.

Last edited:
with a number of Uzbeks becoming popular celebrities in S.Korea
As a Korean, I've never heard of this before

the market for KF-21 will is basically.. countries that are generally on the side of the US.. but not close enough to get the F-35.
i.e. Poland, Greece
But I think you made a good point here.
Maybe UAE and Saudi Arabia could also be added to the list too

with a number of Uzbeks becoming popular celebrities in S.Korea
As a Korean, I've never heard of this before

i.e. Poland, Greece
But I think you made a good point here.
Maybe UAE and Saudi Arabia could also be added to the list too
there are quite a few, you can just google it. for example
wont get too into this as its very off topic

UAE is a good possibility. there were quite a few articles about UAE and KF-21 this year.. especially with SU-75 potential being thrown out due to the current situation, and US reluctancy on F-35. KAI already has a presence in the mid-east. UAE supposedly still wants to buy FA-50s even though they have the M-346 (doesnt make sense to me, but Poland did just that too).

Well, some speculated the countries that interested on joint production of Su-75 is UAE. But i don't worry much on KF-21 sales to UAE, they have resource to buy both aircraft. It's not like they running out of oil to sell right?

i.e. Poland, Greece
  • Malaysia - unlikely to be able to afford. They are highly likely to get some FA-50s but even then from what I understand it won't be as many as they would like. They are also still apparently hoping to get some of the Kuwaiti 2nd hand F/A-18s;
  • Indonesia - maybe but then again, their procurement plans seem all over the place with seemingly new deals/interests reported every couple of months;
  • Philippines - hardly likely due to budget restrictions;
  • Iraq - maybe but I somehow doubt it;
  • Egypt - Maybe. They seem to be buying all over the place. Would hate to imagine what their support/sustainment picture looks like in coming years;
  • Poland - If they keep getting F-35s I doubt it but then again when you're on the 'front lines' you will take what ever come fastest. That said, between F-35s and F-16s, the KF-21 is kind of a 'third wheel'; and
  • Greece - again, I doubt it but they also have a hitch pitch of fleets so who knows...

^ vetoes have happened with the FA-50. it would not be far fetched to think it could happen with the KF-21
Agreed.
Certainly agree that veto is a international diplomacy tool, but then deciding to go with Chinese products when said veto is invoked is also an international diplomacy tool.

I am pretty sure that South Korea would have equal reluctance to give away the best of their own technology in the wrong hands than the US would do with their engines. Hence, the risk of any deal being slashed by a US veto is pretty null.
You'd be surprised to know that SoKor once tried to sell their EW pods to Pakistan in 2009, only stopped by the US. Though on the flipside, the US sold AIDEWS just a few years later, so it might have been more about protecting their own industry than diplomatic interests. US-Pakistan relations wasn't as bad as now as well...

Apart from US EL grants and restrictions, I wouldn't expect the KF-21 to sell better than the likes of Rafales or Vipers and frankly, even the FA-50s due to its market position and market landscape post 2026. Besides, the likes of KAI seems to be focusing more on SEA and the Arabian region. KF-21 export prospects would therefore depend on economic outlooks for the emerging economies of the SEA region and diplomatic trajectories of the likes of UAE and Saudi Arabia, who have already been significant customers for Korean MICs.

Barring the clickbait headline, is ROKAF hinting they would like to operate F/A-XX's if an export ban were to be lifted sometime in the future or fanart?

South Korea’s new stealth drone built to hunt and hit Kim​

Loyal wingman drones could be deployed to decapitate North Korea’s leadership in a conflict scenario
South-Korea-Drones.jpg
Korean Air will build loyal wingman drones for South Korea's air force. Image: Facebook

In a quick follow-up to South Korea’s first test flight of its homegrown fighter jet, the country also aims to build its first unmanned loyal wingman drone.

Last week, South Korea named Korean Air the preferred bidder for its loyal wingman drone, which it envisions will work in tandem with manned combat aircraft and operate in autonomous swarms, reports aviation website FlightGlobal.

The report notes that the project envisages the development of stealth unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) squadrons, noting that South Korea’s Agency for Defense Development (ADD) began developing the concept last year and has completed the basic design.

FlightGlobal also mentions that ADD and Korean Air plan to work on a manned-unmanned teaming system wherein one manned aircraft and three to four stealth UAVs carry out missions simultaneously. The report states that the new stealth UAV can carry out missions on its own, such as surveillance, electronic warfare and kinetic attacks.

The development follows the ADD’s previous stealth UAV program that ran from 2019 to 2021, culminating in a contract between the South Korean government and Korean Air signed in October to develop a stealth UAV to advance South Korea’s stealth technology.

Critical aspects of the project include developing radar-absorbing materials and stealth shaping for future UAV designs...

Malaysia - unlikely to be able to afford. They are highly likely to get some FA-50s but even then from what I understand it won't be as many as they would like. They are also still apparently hoping to get some of the Kuwaiti 2nd hand F/A-18s;
A Malaysian said to me that Kuwaiti 2nd hand Hornet thing is untrue, they not trying to buy 2nd hand fighter. He also said Malaysia waiting for 5th gen fighter maturing before buying. But they really interested to procure some.

Indonesia - maybe but then again, their procurement plans seem all over the place with seemingly new deals/interests reported every couple of months;
Most of them come and go, like Typhoon, MV-22 (and soon Mirage 2000). So try to look what thing that consistently talked in yearly basis. Rafale, KF-21 (and used to be Su-35) consistenly come up every year. So additional KF-21 deal is not impossible. Just need to watch out if some country able to offer a "better" deal.

To hunt and kill Kim ? they should call the drone Lalo. (Flight) plan and execution: point and shoot, hit, and run.

I'll get my coat...

Barring the clickbait headline, is ROKAF hinting they would like to operate F/A-XX's if an export ban were to be lifted sometime in the future or fanart?
They've just used one of the 3d models out in the market. That graphic itself is not a fan art iirc.

KF-21 had done seven sorties of test flight till the Chuseok (traditional holiday, similar to the Thanksgiving)

Total of 40 sorties will be done this year, and the first supersonic test flight will be in next year

Last edited:
Philippines express interest in KF-21

2022091515535022908.jpg

I too can see the Philippines buying the KF-21, it would be interesting to see how many they buy and what squadrons get them.

Local defense media, MaxDefense, once too mentioned that the PAF officials are interested in KF-21.

I think they'll gonna settle with the additional FA-50, however. MaxDefense also had reported that the PAF is considering FA-50 Block 20 as the possible candidate for the MRF project. Only F-16V and Gripen C/D were in the race, but the PAF found that those two are very hard to acquire in the near future. That's why the PAF started considering FA-50 Block 20 as an alternative.

Local defense media, MaxDefense, once too mentioned that the PAF officials are interested in KF-21.

I think they'll gonna settle with the additional FA-50, however. MaxDefense also had reported that the PAF is considering FA-50 Block 20 as the possible candidate for the MRF project. Only F-16V and Gripen C/D were in the race, but the PAF found that those two are very hard to acquire in the near future. That's why the PAF started considering FA-50 Block 20 as an alternative.
If they sell one to the PAF they may as well send one to China. Same thing these days.

If they sell one to the PAF they may as well send one to China. Same thing these days.
Do you mean by the Pakistani Air Force?

What I intended was the Phillippines
Not as clear as Pakistan but the Philippines are definitely in the Chinese camp as well.