K-25: Soviet Sparrow clone

Glushko hated Korolev
That should've been the other way around as it was Glushko who denounced Korolev to the NKVD where he was tortured then sent to a gulag.

You have a point. But Glushko also staunchly refused to build a "Soviet F-1" for the N-1, forcing Korolev to hire Kuznetsov, an aircraft engine maker.

What is really crazy is that goddam Glushko finally designed, built and test benched a Soviet F-1 - the RD270 ! - but NOT for Korolev nor for the N-1.
For Chelomei "paperware" UR-700 !:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't want to hijack the thread further so let's stop here.

Yes I remember reading somewhere that the Soviet designers viewed the Sidewinder as a Graduate course in missile assembly.
I‘m supposed to buy that the Sparrow was old news? Pass.

By that time, 70s, Sparrow was old news.
I don’t think the Soviets got their hands on the first AIM-7-E Sparrow in the 70s. If they did and they thought that was the latest in US AAM design, they were off a bit

Attachments

• 0EA83133-CAD1-47D7-9963-C97F67AE267C.png
    0EA83133-CAD1-47D7-9963-C97F67AE267C.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 64
I don’t think the Soviets got their hands on the first AIM-7-E Sparrow in the 70s.
The Soviets would've got there hands on plenty of AIM-7Es and AIM-9D/Gs in the late 60s from many A-4s, F-8s and F-4s shot down over North Vietnam.

Last edited:
"Work began in the second half on 1966 on copying the AIM-7 missile under the designation of K -25"

AIM-7E entered service in 1964. In 1966 it was a top-of-the-line missile, albeit one derived from an earlier model.

I've seen both - most likely 1963 initial deliveries. Regardless, in 1966 it wasn't some antiquated relic.

I've seen both - most likely 1963 initial deliveries. Regardless, in 1966 it wasn't some antiquated relic.
Unfortunately for fighter combat it was the then current missIe.
Comparing it to the AA-7 which entered service in 1974 and calling the AIM-7-E unimpressive is a bit much.