Just a theme for a discussion ...

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
At first, no I don't want to deny anything to anybody, but yesterday evening, I've noticed
one point in another forum, or better was reminded again. Here, for everyone who finds this
site, all posted documents and pictures are fully available. Quite often it is rare and hitherto
unknown material. In other fora , only members have full access, guests can read the posts,
but not view or download attachements. Perhaps we should use a similar system ?
I don't know, if it will boost the number of members and if so, if this would be good for this
forum, we had a similar discussion earlier.
But perhaps we should talk about this theme.
No question, the internet is a medium open to everybody, but unfortunately, things that are
published, quite often are taken and used without permission by others.
And I think, an accidental onlooker will seldom post anything, even if he has interesting
material in his bookshelf. And if he finds, what he's looking for without becoming a member,
he probably won't sign in. But if he will, perhaps we all have a better chance of participating
of other resources. And that's, to my opinion the reason for such a forum : To share and
accumulate knowledge !

Initially, thats how it was set up, but many people register just to get that picture and then never come back- I know I've done it at other forums myself.

My main concern is that authors like Tony Buttler and Steve Davies view the site but have no desire to sign up for an account. If we make the images private, we will be forcing them to register for the forum.

I agree with Jemiba. It could be possitive for the forum

many people register just to get that picture and then never come back
...some forums even give full access after a number of posts (the moderators cotrol that nobody could reach the number writing only "hello")

overscan said:
Initially, thats how it was set up, but many people register just to get that picture and then never come back- I know I've done it at other forums myself.

My main concern is that authors like Tony Buttler and Steve Davies views the site but has no desire to sign up for an account. If we make the images private, we will be forcing him to register for the forum.

Hmm, what makes it so difficult for them to sign up with a nickname, no one would know that he is Mr. Butler or Mr.Davies. This is one of reasons why I am pretty carefull putting stuff on the site, because someone unknown, not registered can misuse them very easily. Anyway, once a sensitive document is put on the internet it becomes public, so why take a risk at all?

Hmm, what makes it so difficult for them to sign up with a nickname

True, in fact everybody here are identified only by a nickname

I agree with that idea. When someone is already registered, it will take some 5 seconds to log in and one second to log out. So where is the problem? I know where - psychology - but thats not a matter.

Regarding to members - full access can be provided after some number of posts and accounts, that are not active more than for example 6 months, should be deleted. And overscan - I think that for you as administrator is not a problem to give people like Tony Buttler or anybody else full access without need to write any post.

Problem solved.