• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Junkers EF 131

Justo Miranda

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
From EF 131 Bedienvorschift,Bericht Nr.S-317,August 1946. Post-3

Vahe Demirjian

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
The EF 131, if anyone is aware, was built from components of the unfinished 2nd and 3rd Ju 287 prototypes after the Red Army overran Germany. The configuration of the EF 131 was the intended design arrangement of the production Ju 287, as the first Ju 287 prototype had been intended to test forward swept wing technology. Does anyone have extra info about how many test flights of the EF 131 were conducted in Germany in 1946?

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
... Does anyone have extra info about how many test flights of the EF 131 were conducted in Germany in 1946?
None ! This information comes from a brochure published by the Interessengemeinschaft Luftfahrt e.V. Dresden (interest group
aviation Dresden) and is based on documents bequeathed by Brunolf Baade himself (I thankfully got an example via boxkite ;) ).
The first prototype of the EF 131 was ready for ground tests in August 1946, but was dismantled then, to be sent to Moscow and
rebuilt there. Due to the deportation of the Junkers staff and the need to await the end of the Russian winter, the maiden flight
was only on May 23rd 1947.

Aubi

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
www.valka.cz
Only small detail, it wasn't Moscow per se, it was small town (at the time) called Dubna north of Moscow, where the State Experimental Factory No. 1 was founded specifically for Baade, Focke and other "volunteered" German engineers from OKB-1.

gabrielorosco

Reaction score
Does anybody know if it was ever test flown with the 6 engines in clusters of 3? I can't find any photo of it, only with 2 engines (1 each wing)

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
According to the mentioned brochure, yes.
But there seem to have been only a quite low number of flight tests, the 004B engines were regarded as too weak, especially
as more powerful Soviet engines already were in the development phase. So the MAP ordered al work on the EF 131 to stop
om 21st of June 1948.

gabrielorosco

Reaction score
According to the mentioned brochure, yes.
But there seem to have been only a quite low number of flight tests, the 004B engines were regarded as too weak, especially
as more powerful Soviet engines already were in the development phase. So the MAP ordered al work on the EF 131 to stop
om 21st of June 1948.
Thank you for the attention, my dear. Now, it os clear for me.

Vahe Demirjian

Reaction score
Does anybody know if it was ever test flown with the 6 engines in clusters of 3? I can't find any photo of it, only with 2 engines (1 each wing)
I happened to notice a poor quality image of the EF 131 during flight testing on page 20 of Bill Gunston and Peter Gilchrist's 1993 book "Jet Bombers", but it clearly test flew with 6 turbojets in clusters of three. Anyone else have additional photographs of the EF 131 during flight testing?

gabrielorosco

Reaction score
I happened to notice a poor quality image of the EF 131 during flight testing on page 20 of Bill Gunston and Peter Gilchrist's 1993 book "Jet Bombers", but it clearly test flew with 6 turbojets in clusters of three. Anyone else have additional photographs of the EF 131 during flight testing?
Very good, my dear. If possible, share with us this pictures.

Vahe Demirjian

Reaction score
Very good, my dear. If possible, share with us this pictures.
The photo of the EF 131 I was talking about can be found at this link:

I'm not sure if the tail barbette is visible in the photo of the EF 131.

dan_inbox

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I have this photo on my disk, with a note saying 4 Escopettes. But to me it looks more like 6:

Arsenal SA-104 Emouchet glider with SNECMA Escopette pulsejets tested in 1950.jpg

Yeager

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
I have this photo on my disk, with a note saying 4 Escopettes. But to me it looks more like 6:

View attachment 617727
This is not the EF 131. I've attached this pic of the EF 131 while parked at the airfield in Ramenskoye in the winter of 1947, with two Lisunov Li-2s in the background.

Attachments