JT4D/TF75

isayyo2

Lurker alert
Reaction score
Just wanted to start a small thread on a project that came too late, and since the Flight archives are dead. JT4D was to be a low bypass-turbofan variation of the JT4A/J75, in similar vain to the J57/JT3C and TF33/JT3D family. Copied from the article:
Flight, 30 Oct 1959:

Largest of the new Pratt & Whitney fans is the TF75 (commercial designation JT4D), which is a straight conversion of the J75/JT4A, following the formula proven with the J57/JT3. The company have no contract for this work and are unlikely to take it to the hardware stage without military backing or assurance of substantial civil sales. The simplest conversion is the addition of the front fan of the JT3D-1 on to a basic J75 or JT4A-9. This is rendered possible since the hub diameter of the two compressors is essentially the same. Compared with the JT4A-9 this somewhat compromised turbofan will have 8 per cent better s.f.c. It is designated JT4D-3 and would be rated at 22,500 lb. The optimum JT4D-1 would have a new ad hoc fan of appreciably greater diameter. The sea-level rating would be 25,000 lb, and cruise s.f.c. would be approximately 15 per cent better than that of the straight turbojet.

The military TF75-P-1, corresponding to the JT4D-1, is the engine specified by Douglas for the larger of their two CX military freight aircraft, in which four of these big engines would be installed in twin pods. In their submission to the U.S.A.F. for this aircraft last August, Douglas said: "The turbofan power system was chosen for the future cargo airplane because it provided the most favourable balance between speed, productivity and direct operating cost for the design cargo/range mission. A truboprop propulsion system would have provided more range or more cargo and better take-off performance. The turbofan provided greater speed, and takeoff performance comparable to current jet aircraft.
Credit to: https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750861#p10836281

What interests me is the fighter applications for the engine. 25,000 pounds dry thrust is damn near as much as the J75 put out in burner (26,500). Slap a burner on it and we're probably looking at something like 32-33,000 pounds of thrust. Imagine a Tomcat equipped with those right off the bat instead of the TF-30s that it got

What interests me is the fighter applications for the engine. 25,000 pounds dry thrust is damn near as much as the J75 put out in burner (26,500). Slap a burner on it and we're probably looking at something like 32-33,000 pounds of thrust. Imagine a Tomcat equipped with those right off the bat instead of the TF-30s that it got
Yes that'd be quite the sight!
Though your Tomcat may look a bit different since the TF75 would have been significantly larger in diameter and heavier than the TF30.

I would be interested in existing types like the F-105, F-106, or U-2 receiving the engine. 25,000 lbs of thrust would have been a boon to the P6M program too.

The 26,500 was only during water injection on takeoff for the F-105. Other than that it was the same 24,500 as on the F-106. Regarding the TF30 there were actually variants considered all the way up to 30k.

Yes that'd be quite the sight!
Though your Tomcat may look a bit different since the TF75 would have been significantly larger in diameter and heavier than the TF30.

I would be interested in existing types like the F-105, F-106, or U-2 receiving the engine. 25,000 lbs of thrust would have been a boon to the P6M program too.
The XF8U-3 Crusader 3 would have been interesting too. (And they'd planned on upgraded J75s for it too.)

Does anyone know what the fan diameter was going to be on the proposed engine for the CX? I'm trying to see something on what it does to the engine diameter.