Jona J.6 Early Oblique Wing

This was an attempt, to give the aircraft lateral stability automically,
with a wing movable around the longitudinal axis, so the wingtips could
move up and down.
An oblique wing isn't, at least teporarily, perpendicular to the longitudinal axis,
but in this design it was. ;)

Attachments

• obliwi.GIF
    obliwi.GIF
    17.6 KB · Views: 91
Thank you my dear Jemiba,

but can we consider it as a swing wing concept ?.

Well, I don't know a special name for this principle, "swing wing" is mostly related
to VG (variable geometry) aircraft. "Flapping wing" means, I think, an aircraft,
which flies like a bird, there were and still are such experiments.
The Flight article speaks of "a wing free to rock around ". Maybe "rocking wing
aircraft" ? ???

Cobra Kebab said:
Tilting wing? Or perhaps tilt-wing (not to be confused with tilt-rotor).

Appears to be a tilt wing as used on the Wright Flyer and early aircraft.

amsci99 said:
Appears to be a tilt wing as used on the Wright Flyer and early aircraft.

Actually I meant to say wing warping which fell out of fashion before the First World War and grossly inadequet with increasing speeds of the WW1 Biplanes. Therefore there would be no reason to use such a control system for an airplane of this era. On closer inspection, I would agree with Jemiba it is a form of tilting mechanism which I believe use to improve maneuverability along the longtitudal axis.

Designed by Ing.Alberto Jona and built by Magni in 1935 the J.6 was
an experimental tanden two-seat cantilver sequiplane.
The novel design featured a -- hinged,oscillating upper wing-- with automatic
aileron control...

so far the description in:Italian Civil and Militay Aircraft 1930-1945
by Jonathan Thompson. Aero Publishers Inc. U.S. 1963.

Hi,

the Jona 6 aircraft.

Attachments

• jona j-6.jpg
    jona j-6.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 64
From Aeroplane Monthly 2005/5.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    184 KB · Views: 55
From the top planform, it looks like the oblique, variable sweep wings proposed by Dr. Richard Voss circa 1944. The B&V P.202 suggested a top-mounted wing that swivelled/swept around a vertical axis/axle. P.202 never got off the drawing board.
Burt Rutan (Scaled Composites) build the AD-1 proof-of-concept during the late 1970s under a NASA contract. They flew the AD-1, but concluded that it suffered roll-yaw coupling problems.

Returning to the OP, that reminds us of a post-WW2 prototype. An American inventor modified a Taylorcraft by adding shock absorbers to the bottom of the wing struts. The shock absorbers were supposed to reduce air-sickness when flying in turbulent air. After a brief test-flying schedule, it faded into obscurity.

Last edited:
It is surprising how little is ever new in aeronautics.

Preston A Watson was a Scotsman who built three biplanes in which the upper wing rocked from side to side to provide combined roll and yaw control. Having built a Wright-type machine that sulked on the ground, he built his first rocking-wing biplane in 1909 but it also failed to fly. He had more success with the later ones, though only enough to show that it was a bad idea.

Twenty or so years later the Grice Mosquito appeared. A tandem-wing type somewhat similar to the Flying Flea, it had the Flea's tilting forewing for elevator control but added a rocking rear wing. The only good thing about it was said to be the coffin-shaped fuselage, because it saved you having to bring one out for the pilot when it came down.

Relatively recently, Paul MacCready's man-powered Gossamer Condor and Gossamer Albatross both had canard foreplanes which rocked to provide sideways lift for rudder control, but used wing-warping of the main plane for roll. They each won their respective Kremer prize, so it was a good idea after all, once you realised what it was actually good for.

P.S. On the Blohm & Voss types, their Chief Designer was Richard Vogt and his Head of Preliminary Design, and hence of almost all the P-designated design studies, was Hans Amtmann. Ernst Voss had been a shipbuilder and had left the parent company by the time the aircraft operation was set up; my grandson is his umpitty-great nephew.

Last edited: