John Domenjoz Parachute Airplane (Domenjoz Artillery Spotter)

Grey Havoc

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
http://blog.modernmechanix.com/artillery-spotter-has-vertical-lift/

http://www.rexresearch.com/domenjoz/domenjoz.htm

Attachments

• para_spotter.jpg
    para_spotter.jpg
    870.7 KB · Views: 183
Interesting concept ! Tried to remember some mathematical formulas from the long gone schooldays.
This contraption may have a mass of about 200 kg , just as a very rough estimation ( Pilot, engine, cap,
fuel, emergency chute ...)? Then it has to produce a vertical lifting power of 200 kg, too, which would be
generated by accelerating air via the cap. Given the apparatus can accelarate air to the equivalent of
a gale with Beaufort 12 (about 33m/s) it would just have to pump downwards about 6 kg of air constantly,
roughly 7.3 cbm. Assuming a hemespherical shape of the cap, moment please ... a diameter of about
2.5 m would be enough ??? Can't believe it ! Ok, the thrust would be pulsating, so has to be much higher
to compensate for the interruptions and maybe 33 m/s is much more, than could be achieved. And it
probably would result in very severe vibrations and resemble not at all the swanning of a jellyfish !
And maybe I should have used my lunch break otherwise ... :-\

From TU magazine,

this designer had earlier anther airplane of 1922,any idea ?.

Why bother with a crankshaft?
A simple direct connection between the piston and valve would do the same trick.

From TU magazine,

this designer had earlier anther airplane of 1922,any idea ?.

A bit late replying, but ... that 1922 John Domenjoz design was realized in his 1924 sail-glider. That machine was destroyed along with its hangar during a 1925 storm. Domenjoz repeated his effort in 1929 after he'd moved to the US. This US version of the sail-glider was flown ~10 times but the concept ultimately proved flawed. Domenjoz's US sail-glider is preserved at the Owls Head Transport Museum in Maine.

That... Sorta reminds me of an infamous early ornithopter design, which flapped its wings enthusiastically, pogoed high and fell apart...