JMR (Joint Multi-Role) & FVL (Future Vertical Lift) Programs

jsport

what do you know about surfing Major? you're from-
Reaction score

yasotay

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score

A fine demonstration that both sides are fully engaged in the "war of words". The author is surprisingly light on the veneer she uses for a academic discussion on the validity of her claims. Something she is taken to task on in the comments.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Zeroing your next combat helicopter needs in function of what is compatible with your rear line infrastructures would be like a Formula one team lining up their lounge couch on the race track.

iu

Last edited:

Hydroman

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Zeroing your next combat helicopter needs in function of what is compatible with your rear line infrastructures would be like a Formula one team lining up their lounge couch on the race track.

iu
Sofa, so good. New ejection couch trials and three-man flight crew, gotta love it.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

The war of words on the FARA program is now fully involved in "the swamp" (a.k.a. Washington DC).

aonestudio

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
View: https://twitter.com/FVLCFT/status/1455503458547601418
The ALTIUS-700 carries 300 percent more payload than the -600 and endures up to five hours of flight, depending on payloads, which are customizable and include ISR, cUAS, electronic warfare, munitions and signals intelligence.

Last edited:

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

Spyclip

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
It's all mostly a moot point if ITEP doesn't make up it's considerable schedule slip.

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Ok, can someone explain to me what i'm looking at? is that the long-announced MEL for FARA, which is an internal launcher, but tested externally on this UH-60? Also, what are the other suspended payloads besides the Hellfire? ALEs or something else?
1636150611256.png

TomS

Reaction score
Looks like the usual ESSS on a Black Hawk, just seen from an unusual angle.

The light-colored tubes on the inner pylon are probably ALTIUS-600s, which have been used as surrogate ALEs.

The dark-colored pod above the Hellfire looks a lot like the Fletcher LGR-4 land-based APKWS pod, just in an aircraft application. Not a new idea -- there was another guided rocket (DAGR) that was supposed to fit in a quad pod replacing a single Hellfire.

AeroFranz

Reaction score
Those are interesting loadouts, but the really juicy bit would be if what's in the picture is the MEL. Together with MOSA and another couple of buzzwords, it's a centerpiece of FARA. The air vehicles are to a large extent designed around its use.

TomS

Reaction score
Those are interesting loadouts, but the really juicy bit would be if what's in the picture is the MEL. Together with MOSA and another couple of buzzwords, it's a centerpiece of FARA. The air vehicles are to a large extent designed around its use.

Seems like it is. Same picture is in this article, with mention of a recent exercise with the UH-60 as a FARA surrogate.

I infer that the MEL is basically the orange bits in the photo, equivalent to the M299 launcher associated with Hellfire.

Last edited:

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

Seems like it is. Same picture is in this article, with mention of a recent exercise with the UH-60 as a FARA surrogate.

I infer that the MEL is basically the orange bits in the photo, equivalent to the M299 launcher associated with Hellfire.
I agree the orange bits are the MEL.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

Forest Green

Reaction score

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score
MOSA will either be a brilliant success for how to operate in the mid-21st Century, or another stillborn US government concept. I am enthusiastic that there is a recognition that the speed of change makes something of this nature an imperative, however I am troubled that an organization as hidebound and bureaucratic as the US DoD will struggle to allow it to succeed.

yasotay

Top Contributor
Reaction score

Clearly the US Army is staying focused on the two programs in hand. Last time they tried to do a new "heavy vertical lift" The USAF Inc. pitched a fit, took over the program, and cancelled it. Ironically USAF Inc., is now saying "Gosh! We have to stop being reliant on runways."

Anything larger than CH-47 with more capability (speed, range) will draw a tirade from USAF Inc. I suspect that even if the US Army decided it could use MV-22, USAF Inc., would fight it. US Army probably has enough fight with DoD right now with the two current efforts.