Japan WWII Type Two Rocket Fighter Search

airrocket

Dreams To Reality
Reaction score
Website
retroflight.com
Searching more information on a rocket powered interceptor concept developed by Japan in 1945 time frame. Seem to remember it was canard design utilizing two ME-163 derived rocket motors to provide more range than the Japan ME-163 version had. Also armed with guided missles.

Hi,

do you mean Mizuno Sinryu Type 2 Rocket Intercepter.

Attachments

• Mizuno.jpg
    Mizuno.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 148
Wow! That's is why I love this forum! Just when I sit back and think I've seen it all regarding aircraft projects....POW! I learn something new. Good find Hesh.

You can find some info at:

http://www.j-aircraft.org/xplanes/hikoki_files/shinryu.htm

The data is from around 1999 or 2000. More recent information has it as a interceptor, was to use a water/alcohol cooling system for the rocket motors, and would have a pressurized cockpit or if this failed to materialize, the pilot would wear a pressure suit. The intent of the Shinryu II was as a point interceptor, akin to the Me 163 Komet and Ba 349 Natter. It is surmised that the Shinryu II was a more advanced developmental offshoot of the Mizuno Jinryu special attack glider project.

airrocket said:
utilizing two ME-163 derived rocket motors to provide more range than the Japan ME-163 version had.
Same as my Zwilling Me-163Z? :D No, I'm kidding, this Shinryu seems to be an actual project 1944, not invented nowadays what-ifly.

I'm very confused about the specifications for this attack glider Mizuno Shinryu II.

I've the book "Japanese Secret Projects" and the book give you the following data:

Span 7.00 m
Lenght 7.60 m

but if you look the drawings this looks wrong, clearly the span is bigger than the length.
and if I use the drawings which has an scale indicator to measure the size, I've got this specifications:

Span 15 m
Lenght 12.25 m

Attachments

• shinryu-2.gif
    shinryu-2.gif
    184.9 KB · Views: 145
  • Mizuno Shinryu 2.jpg
    Mizuno Shinryu 2.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 145
The dimensions in the "Japanese Secret Projects" book on page 106 refer to the Mizuno Jinryu glider, not the Shinryu II. It is a bit confusing. Only the stats in parenthesis refer to the Shinryu II. In any case, dimensions of the Shinryu II are pure speculation unless new information concerning the project has come up.

theponja said:
I'm very confused about the specifications for this attack glider Mizuno Shinryu II.

I've the book "Japanese Secret Projects" and the book give you the following data:

Span 7.00 m
Lenght 7.60 m

but if you look the drawings this looks wrong, clearly the span is bigger than the length.
and if I use the drawings which has an scale indicator to measure the size, I've got this specifications:

Span 15 m
Lenght 12.25 m

Hikoki1946 said:
The dimensions in the "Japanese Secret Projects" book on page 106 refer to the Mizuno Jinryu glider, not the Shinryu II. It is a bit confusing. Only the stats in parenthesis refer to the Shinryu II. In any case, dimensions of the Shinryu II are pure speculation unless new information concerning the project has come up.

Oh,yes. You're right I misunderstand the book, so if the dimensions are just speculation I'm going to use the "speculative" drawing to for a model :D