JANET Flights in Las Vegas...a question

greenmartian2017

The Shadow knows what lurks in the hearts of men
Reaction score
I thought I would ask this question about the JANET flights in Las Vegas....

Is there any literature that talks to actually being on board one of the JANET jets? What is it like? What about the windows? Can you look out of them? Or are they blacked out? etc.

If anyone knows of some URL links, please let me know, and post them here. (I hope that this topic is in the correct thread.)

The JANET flights follow standard operating procedures comparable to most commercial airlines, but with enhanced focus on security. The windows are not blacked out, and the window shades function normally. Prior to takeoff the lead flight attendant gives the passengers a standard safety briefing regarding seatbelts, emergency exits, etc. Under normal circumstances, the flight attendant would announce:

"We have no visitors on board, therefore window shades may remain open."

In the event that uncleared visitors are on board, the flight attendant takes note of where they are seated. For the sake of the following example, let's pretend that a couple of special guests have been seated in row 11. In that case the flight attendant would announce:

"We have visitors on board, therefore shades must remain closed from Row 10 to Row 12."

Upon landing at the test site, the flight attendant would announce:

"At this time, please check to see that your badges are visible. Visitors or unbadged personnel, please remain seated until the security guard is able to release you."

The JANET flights follow standard operating procedures comparable to most commercial airlines, but with enhanced focus on security. The windows are not blacked out, and the window shades function normally. Prior to takeoff the lead flight attendant gives the passengers a standard safety briefing regarding seatbelts, emergency exits, etc. Under normal circumstances, the flight attendant would announce:

In the event that uncleared visitors are on board, the flight attendant takes note of where they are seated. For the sake of the following example, let's pretend that a couple of special guests have been seated in row 11. In that case the flight attendant would announce:

"We have visitors on board, therefore shades must remain closed from Row 10 to Row 12."

"At this time, please check to see that your badges are visible. Visitors or unbadged personnel, please remain seated until the security guard is able to release you."
Whisperstream, how far back do these protocols that you describe go? I have talked with a person who had business inside the Area 51 region, and flew about three times there. They told me that the windows had a self-adhesive film applied to them. This was in the 1980s/early 1990s.

Whisperstream, how far back do these protocols that you describe go? I have talked with a person who had business inside the Area 51 region, and flew about three times there. They told me that the windows had a self-adhesive film applied to them. This was in the 1980s/early 1990s.

IIRC during that time period the flights were operated by Key Air, not Janet / EGG. The transition to the Janet service was in like 94

IIRC during that time period the flights were operated by Key Air, not Janet / EGG. The transition to the Janet service was in like 94

I was referencing EG&G Airlift standard operating procedures from the mid 1980s. Not sure why they would bother with self-adhesive film coatings when they had perfectly serviceable window shades, but I can't say that never happened.

EG&G Special Projects (and, for a while, Lockheed Aircraft Service Company) provided flights to Groom, Tonopah, and other places. The Key Air flights were strictly Nellis to TTR to support the 4450th Tactical Group. I seem to recall that ATA eventually picked up that contract but I don't know the details.

I thought I would ask this question about the JANET flights in Las Vegas....

Is there any literature that talks to actually being on board one of the JANET jets? What is it like? What about the windows? Can you look out of them? Or are they blacked out? etc.

If anyone knows of some URL links, please let me know, and post them here. (I hope that this topic is in the correct thread.)

Dont forget the other year when they were recruiting for cabin crew / flight attendants so some of the answers to your questions be found in the below.

cheers

Or you could just read pages 327 to 339 of Dreamland: The Secret History of Area 51 (Schiffer Military, 2023). It's got a pretty detailed description of the Janet operation, based on interviews and documents. The Janet fleet history was a lot more complex than I once believed.

Everyone call it JANET, because that’s the way they hear it when their call sign goes out over the air.
The name actually comes from the initials of the Joint Amy/Navy/Intelligence Transport (JANIT) group set up to get people in an out of the Tonopah Test Range when Lockheed was first involved in the U-2 Project at Groom Lake.