Israeli 82mm air-to-ground rocket

Petrus

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
According to a website dedicated to the SNCASO Vautour (http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Launchpad/1467/) in the mid-1960s Israelis developed an 82-mm air-to-ground rocket. The site contains following information on this:

The IMI developed an anti-armour 82mm (R-82) rocket, since 1964, that was tested by the Vautour. Its development lasted till 1973. The rocket was effective against Soviet tanks armour, fortifications and upper shelters.
(don't ask me what the "upper shelters" are; I have no idea)

What is not said there however is whether the rocket has ever been adopted by the Israeli Air Force. Does anybody in the forum know anything on that? Is so, could you please say what launcher the rocket was being fired from? Any info on the rocket's specifications would be appeciated as well, of course.

Below there are two pictures showing the rocket in question that once could have been seen in the Vautour website (currently they are not available over there anymore, for the site apparently seems to be neglected, unfortunately).

Best regards,
Piotr

Attachments

• imi-r82.jpg
    imi-r82.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 78
  • r-82_2.jpg
    r-82_2.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 85
Petrus said:
... ... ... ...
The IMI developed an anti-armour 82mm (R-82) rocket, since 1964, that was tested by the Vautour. Its development lasted till 1973. The rocket was effective against Soviet tanks armour, fortifications and upper shelters.
(don't ask me what the "upper shelters" are; I have no idea)... ... ... ...

Piotr,

The reference to "upper shelters" is most probably a translation issue but the intent was to describe aircraft shelters where an aircraft is placed to protect it from the weather and attack. The shelters would be unable to protect the aircraft from penetrations by rocket projectiles such as the 82mm rocket.