IPTN Aircraft and Projects

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

the IPTN N.2130 is a project for 130-seat jet airliner aircraft and
there is a 80-seat version.
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/search.aspx?search=iptn%20n%20aircraft&page=2
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1996/1996%20-%201644.html?search=iptn%20n%20aircraft

Attachments

• N.2130 (1).JPG
    N.2130 (1).JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 770
  • N.2130 (2).JPG
    N.2130 (2).JPG
    16.8 KB · Views: 663
Re: IPTN N.2130 jet airliner

Hi,

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1997/1997%20-%200547.html

Attachments

• 2130.JPG
    2130.JPG
    31.9 KB · Views: 667
Re: IPTN N.2130 jet airliner

Doesn't sound like there was any input in the design itself, merely a model built and tested under contract. Much like TsAGI apparently did for the E-Jets.

Nevertheless, a very interesting connection, shedding some light on capabilities that perhaps not everyone would have expected at VTI!

EDIT: I don't have time right now to add them to the corresponding thread (which I know already exists here), but there are at least 3 small pictures of Novi Avion windtunnel models scattered about the VTI site!

Hi,

the IPTN company has many aircraft and projects,such as N-219,N-245 & N-250,and little
known Projects,such as N-214,N-228,N-260 & N-270.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indonesian_Aerospace_N-219
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPTN_N-250

Attachments

• N-219.jpg
    N-219.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 513
  • N250.jpg
    N250.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 154
Hi,

here is an IPTN N-219 in flying,and a small Info about N-245;

The N-245 will be powered by Pratt & Whitney Canada engines. The CN-235 is powered by GE CT7 engines. A key selling point of the N-245 is that it can land on shorter runways than other 50-seat turboprop aircraft and can utilize unpaved airstrips.

http://aviationweek.com/paris-air-show-2017/indonesian-aerospace-fly-n-219-soon?NL=AW-05&Issue=AW-05_20170622_AW-05_55&sfvc4enews=42&cl=article_8&utm_rid=CPEN1000002229670&utm_campaign=10565&utm_medium=email&elq2=10744f546f7a413382d27a5ed0db7fae

Attachments

• IAe_N-219.jpg
    IAe_N-219.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 146
A more Info about N-245;

http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Indonesian_Aerospace_N-245

Back in the deep recesses of my aviation writing career in the late 1990s, I was involved with a company called Airclaims. My role was as the Media Coordinator, or basically a journalist, writing a weekly newsletter which was distributed to the subscribers of the companies database. This database tracked the individual histories of all turbine powered airliners of 19 seats and above, together with business jets which had been ordered, including cancelled orders such as the Concordes for likes of JAL, Iran Air etc. Anyway, amongst the many publications I was responsible for, was one called Jet Programs (sorry I know we were a British company, but the US market was one of our biggest, hence the spelling). When updating the 1998 edition of this publication I wrote about the N2130. Here's a brief synopsis. The N2130 was launched on August 10th 1995 following the first flight of the N250 regional turboprop airliner. It was expected that the first N2130 would be rolled out and flown by mid 2002, with first customer deliveries in the first quarter 2004. The N2130 was initially planned to be a family of 80 to 130 seat models, but by March 1997, the 80 seat version had been dropped, with IPTN concentrating on 114 and 132 seat variants (later to become the -100 and -200). Also by March 1997 a decision had been made to look at a six abreast seating arrangement, instead of the initial 5 abreast layout. Yet another feature formulated at this time was the provision of both a basic and High Gross Weight (HGW) variant of the two models. The N2130-100 was to be 102.5 feet long with a 98.2 feet wingspan. MTOW was to be 49.550 lbs for the standard variant whilst the HGW version was to have an MTOW of 51,500. Powerplants of around 19,300lb thrust rating were to be installed below the wings, with the selection being from the BR715, the CFM-56-9 and the PW6000. Control was to be by fly by wire using conventional yokes. Range capability was to be between 1200 and 1,600nm with 114 passnegers. The larger N2130-200 was expected to appear around twelve months after its smaller sister variant. It was to be 111.1 feet long with a wingspan of 98.2 feet MTOW was to be 56,600 or 58,700 for the HGW variant. With the added capacity, larger powerplants in the 22,000lb thrust rating bracket were to be installed, with the same three engine types to be chosen from, albeit in uprated variants. Despite the larger size, IPTN were expecting the same range capability for the -200. Almost as my words were going to the printing press, the Asian financial crisis in 1998 spelt the end of the N2130. However despite the supposed cancellation, a scale model of part of the wing assembly was designed and built for Indonesian Aircraft Industries (IPTN) in the years 1999/2000 by Vojnotehnièki Institut Ratka Resanoviæa [VTI], Beograd, Serbia. The wing segment comprised: wing, including main wing box (1805mm half-span), single-slotted flaps (4 positions), clean high-speed leading edges, slats, an immovable aileron, and installation for measurement of pressure distribution on seven chordwise wing sections, ·wing-fuselage fairing, through-flow nacelle (TFN) and its pylon, with instrumentation for measurement of pressure distribution, turbofan power simulator nacelle (TPS) and its pylon, with instrumentation for measurement of internal flow parameters and other installations necessary or the operation of the power simulator. Most of the model was produced on CNC milling machines. For some specific components CNC EDM (electrode and wire-cut) was used. Artistic hand finish was applied when appropriate. Main parts were built from high-grade stainless steel, while the less stressed parts were made from aluminum alloy. Quality control was carried out on CMM coordinate measuring machines. Main parts of the wing were the outer and the inner wing box, each box assembled from the upper and the lower half. Sides of the boxes formed two main spars of the wing. Leading and trailing edge devices were detachable in order to enable changing of wing configuration. In July 2000 the wing was transported to ONERA facilities at Toulouse and there was assembled with the fuselage-tail assembly. During the summer of the same year the model was successfully tested in F1 and S1 wind tunnels. Quite a lot of work for a supposed cancelled project! Here's yet another promotional image of the N2130.
endex.jpg

It's a shame the N250 never got into production. There is still a market for 50 to 68 seat turboprops. The ATR is not all it's cracked up to be and is packed with issues of its own and the Q300 is long out of production. The Q400 is a completely different kettle of fish to both the ATR and Q300, so works only for long haul high frequency routes, but Viking really needs to investigate putting the Q300 into production again. (Well maintained) 2nd hand Qs are worth their weight in gold.

Attachments

• DSC_2488.jpg
    DSC_2488.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 103
Hi,

the IPTN company has many aircraft and projects,such as N-219,N-245 & N-250,and little
known Projects,such as N-214,N-228,N-260 & N-270.

N 219 looks like it would compete directly with Cessna's 408 Sky Courier that was just recently certified (2022).
We wonder if N 219 cabin cross section is big enough to accept the same LD3 baggage containers?????????

N 219 looks like it would compete directly with Cessna's 408 Sky Courier that was just recently certified (2022).
We wonder if N 219 cabin cross section is big enough to accept the same LD3 baggage containers?????????

Good question. The N 219 descends from IPTN's version of the CASA C 212 ... which can carry three LD3 containers. So, we wonder, does the N 219 retain (or exceed) the C 212's internal fuselage dimensions?

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLAEkOt5hEk&t=130s&ab_channel=officialptdi

Production is finally set to start in 2023. From what I've read, this aircraft is a true bush plane that can operate from the same small airfields as the Twin Otter, while the Cessna Skycourier, which was designed around the needs of FedEx, requires a bit more runway. Both airplanes will likely be successful. The domestic Indonesian market is massive, and there are already amphibian and maritime patrol versions on the drawing board.

I spent December 1990 in Bandung, designing the engine inlet for the N-250 and later worked on other aero aspects of the design from back in the US. IPTN had high hopes, but trying to build a company capable of designing and building FAA certified aircraft in a then-autocratic country with rampant corruption was difficult.

IPTN had high hopes, but trying to build a company capable of designing and building FAA certified aircraft in a then-autocratic country with rampant corruption was difficult.
That fits with what I've (sadly) heard about IPTN...

I spent December 1990 in Bandung, designing the engine inlet for the N-250 and later worked on other aero aspects of the design from back in the US. IPTN had high hopes, but trying to build a company capable of designing and building FAA certified aircraft in a then-autocratic country with rampant corruption was difficult.
I've always wondered, had the N-250 gone into service, how did it compare in terms of performance and capabilities to the ATR-72 ? Would it have had a chance of getting export orders ? Was it more suitable to operate from small airfields than the competition ?

Further to Hesham's post regarding the CN-260, firstly the translated text for that picture is; 'Definition model of the CN-260 stretched version of the CN-235 whose fundamental differences will be noted: new wing and empennage designs, removal of the rear cargo door and retractable undercarriage in the engine nacelles.' Further to this I was carrying out a recent troll through Air International September 1986, and I came across some more text, referencing the type. As the designation refers, it was to be a 60 seater, but IPTN had been looking at two different stretches of the existing CN-235 fuselage. One of these was 5 feet 6 inches longer (1.7m), whilst the other featured a 13 feet 1 1/2 inch stretch (4 m). As well as these fuselage stretches, the shorter stretch would also feature a wing span increase of 4 feet 7 inches (1.4 m) whilst the longer variant would have an increased wing span of `10 feet 6 inches (3.2m). The article also pointed out the lack of rear ramp due to the type primarily being aimed as a regional passenger transport, as well as the altered undercarriage position

Mention was made in an above post regarding the joint ATRA-90 project that IPTN was developing with Boeing, Fokker and MBB. However in the October 1986 issue of Air International, during the Farnborough Air Show round up, there was mention made that IPTN had abandoned development of another type to concentrate on the ATRA-90. This other indigenous design was known as the NTT-285, but I have no further information on the type, ie whether it was pure jet or turboprop for example.

News about this project has slowed to a trickle, so these export orders are a positive step forward. Have any airframes entered revenue service yet, or are they still finishing up certification trials ? Considering that the first prototype had its maiden flight in 2017, this has been an incredibly long flight test campaign.

A tangent if I may.

In 1976, de Havilland Aircraft of Canada considered the possibility of setting up a factory in Indonesia, linked to IPTN perhaps, to assemble Twin Otters ordered and / or used by one or more local airlines. Assembling Dash 7 STOL airliners there as well, if this aircraft was ordered by an Indonesian air carrier, was a less likely scenario. Those projects went nowhere.

Around 1989-90, Bombardier signed a memorandum of understanding with IPTN aimed at the possibility of producing the Canadair CL-215T water bomber in Indonesia. That project also went nowhere.

From JAWA 1996-97,

it's first time to hear about NH2 and NH5 light helicopters,projects as
I think.

Attachments

• 20.png
    20.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 21.png
    21.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Also from JAWA 1996-97.