Interstate Assault Drones (TDR-1, XBDR)

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Oh!
(1) XBDR 1/17 scale gust tunnel test model with slit shape air intake.
And
(2) XBDR 1/17 scale gust tunnel test model with slit shape air intake and wind shield.
Perfect. Thanks for sharing. :D
So Interstate planned to develop manned XBDR version in parallel with drone?

Interesting site.
http://www.digplanet.com/wiki/Category:Tailless_aircraft

windswords

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I didn't realize there was an entry for the XBDR under Missile Projects. I should have used the search feature. :-[

However the manned version is a "whole 'nother kettle of fish". Was this a serious consideration or just the fantasy musings of a designer? It would seem just a fantasy to me because by putting a man in the machine you reduce it's range, payload, and general performance.

blackkite

Reaction score
windswords said:
I didn't realize there was an entry for the XBDR under Missile Projects. I should have used the search feature. :-[

However the manned version is a "whole 'nother kettle of fish". Was this a serious consideration or just the fantasy musings of a designer? It would seem just a fantasy to me because by putting a man in the machine you reduce it's range, payload, and general performance.
Ummm....But how do you think about NACA report, 1/17 gust tunnel test model?

windswords

Reaction score
You are correct, Backkite-san. The second wind tunnel model pictured above has a cockpit canopy. More than a fantasy!

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Perhaps the manned version was purely for development?
After all, this programme was going to be integrating three advanced technologies into one system, jet engines, tailless aerodynamics, and remote TV guidance. Having a manned version would allow you to perfect the first two, without relying on the third, which could be developed separately in a test-bed aircraft...

cheers,
Robin.

windswords

Reaction score
Excellent point Robin. The manned version would be a stepping stone to the final version.

Silencer1

That now I am the Ruler of the Queen's Navee!
Reaction score
Hi!

There is a thread in this forum, covering "precursor" of this aircraft/missile - Interstate TDR assault glider.
http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,2114.0.html

It was also have manned/unmanned versions.

I wonder, how the relatively small company has been daring enough to develop and put in combat operations (of course, very limited) such sophisticate piece of weaponry.

Have a nice reading!

blackkite

Reaction score
robunos said:
Perhaps the manned version was purely for development?
After all, this programme was going to be integrating three advanced technologies into one system, jet engines, tailless aerodynamics, and remote TV guidance. Having a manned version would allow you to perfect the first two, without relying on the third, which could be developed separately in a test-bed aircraft...

cheers,
Robin.
Excellent Robin!! ;) Of course final goal may be a drone.

sienar

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Found this presentation of the Interstate drone program

At 42:55 it has some details on the XBDR

He says it was based on a Northrop design, he thinks the I-90n (?). It was tested as a glider, and he makes it sound like it was a manned test.

Bill S

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Clioman said:
These might be of interest. The source is "XBDR-1 Mock Up," Interstate Aircraft & Engineering Corp. Rpt No. W 272. The document is not dated, but the photos are dated "11-19-43." Sorry for the poor quality -- it's a photocopy from an original located at NARA, file 72-AC-1B.
Further to Clioman's earlier post from the same source and location are some scans of the XBDR-1 Mock Up.

Attachments

Bill S

Top Contributor
Reaction score

hesham

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Nice photos my dear Bill.

Mark Nankivil

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Most excellent Bill - thanks! Mark

edwest

Reaction score
This is far too sophisticated for the time period. And the bigger mystery: Why wasn't this used in Vietnam?