ID this Russian Seaplane Project

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Hi,

I can't ID this Russian Seaplane Project,who can help ?.

http://www.retroplan.ru/encyclopaedia.html?sobi2Task=sobi2Details&sobi2Id=672

Attachments

• TOM.jpg
    TOM.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 326
'TOM 1' seems to be related to the Golenishchev-Kutuzov hydrofoil of which you posted a picture here.
"TOM 2' looks like an entirely different design.

Hi all!

"TOM 1" and "TOM 2" are not aircraft designations - they are only "VOLUME 1" and "VOLUME 2" :D . The picture announces two volumes of the guide "Flying vessels of Russian Imperial Navy 1894-1917: Aircraft of native design" by Andrei O. Alexandrov. The first volume includes the aircraft produced by Schetinin and Grigorovich factories, the second represents aircraft of other companies such as Anatra, Dux, Lebedev, RBVZ, etc.

The picture for Vol.1 actually displays Golenischev-Kutuzov hydrofoil. The second picture is floatplane version of twin-fuselage Anatra Anadva bomber (also known as Anatra Type VKh and Khioni-4, designed by Anatra test pilot Vasily Khioni). You can see more on this aircraft at http://www.airwar.ru/enc/bww1/anadva.html and http://flyingmachines.ru/Site2/Crafts/Craft28203.htm. Four prototypes were built since 1916 to 1921, and the third of them was a seaplane. It was tested in 1917 summer, but crashed on August 11: Khioni who piloted the aircraft escaped injury, but the passenger sitting in the upper nacelle fell out and sank.

Attachments

• anadva-1.gif
    anadva-1.gif
    153.8 KB · Views: 306
Alexander, many thanks for 3-view ands links.

Arjen said:
'TOM 1' seems to be related to the Golenishchev-Kutuzov hydrofoil of which you posted a picture here.
"TOM 2' looks like an entirely different design.
Arjen rights

On the first picture,
literally says "Volume 1 Marine apparatuses SS Shchetinin and DP Grigorovich

It was one of three projects torpedo-airboat, lieutenant fleet I.I.Golenischev-Kutuzov,
which he proposed to build the Navy of Russia during the First World War. September 25, 1915 he is
made an application for airboat with air motor and hydrofoils and air wings. The designer is planning to build such a device at the factory S.S.Schetinin the first Russian company Aeronautics (PRTV) in close cooperation with D.P.Grigorovich.
The device is a twin-engine torpedo-airboat, consisting of two long floats in volume to 7000 liters with mounted boxes biplane wings are not the same scale. Boat-floats connected by a farm in the lower 'parts were "water" (underwater) wings. Two engines "Salmson" - pulling the front and the rear pusher located between the center section of the wings, and the pitch pusher propeller expected to do more than pull. The role of the cabins are made from the fuselage of the aircraft, "Voisin". The crew - three men, fuel and oil - 3 hours with a payload of at least 1200 kg, including weapons and special equipment.

In October 1915 was followed by an order to build the first prototype. At the end of
November apparatus called "АЭРОГЛИССЕР №1"/"airboat number 1", with one engine "Argus." Prepared for the tests, he was sent to Baku in January-March 1916 tested instructors sea-school. The subsequent fate is unclear, it is possible that he was returned to the factory, where it was burned on the night of January 7, 1917.

The second copy - "airboat number 2", several large and with two engines "Salmson" ordered November 17, 1915 to May 2, 1916 prepared for the tests on Gutuevsky Island in St. Petersburg. August 21, at one of the "flying on water" (perhaps the very first), it was completely defeated. The reasons are not known, it is possible that due to too much
lift "popped" out of the water and lost control, sank. Further work on the project was stopped.
The length of the unit, 11.0 m
Swipe the front wings, 13.0 m
Span rear wings, 15.0 m
Height, 4.25 m
Empty weight, kg 320
Flying Weight, kg 3900-4000
Engine
type Salmson "
Horsepower 2x140-150
Speed ​​km / h 80
Torpedo armament 2 arr. 1898 "

Attachments

• Golenishchev-Kutuzov.jpg
    Golenishchev-Kutuzov.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 275
All this old stuff is turning this into a happy day for me :)

Borovik: I understand from your text that this long-winged Golenischev-Kutuzov 'airboat' was not intended to take off from the water; am I correct in assuming this?

Yes :) ,
of course intended to take off from the water, first by hydrofoil...
'Airboat' - in original "Аэроглиссер", would be correct "Air-hydroglider" maybe...
Excuse me I have to use the auto translator, thanks for yours patience :-[

borovik said:
Excuse me I have to use the auto translator, thanks for yours patience :-[
Gentlemen, if you deliver gems like the Anatra and Golenischev-Kutuzov drawings I can only be grateful.