I have a question about the preliminary design of Illustrious class(1939).

Username666

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
I'm web surfing to see if there's another preliminary design about Illustrious class(1939), as other carrier(like HMS Ark Royal) did. But strangely enough, there was no mention of this.

So I ended up asking you about the Preliminary design about Illustrious class aircraft carrier. Does anyone know about this in detail?

I'm web surfing to see if there's another preliminary design about Illustrious class(1939), as other carrier(like HMS Ark Royal) did. But strangely enough, there was no mention of this.

So I ended up asking you about the Preliminary design about Illustrious class aircraft carrier. Does anyone know about this in detail?
The detail is in Friedman's "British Carrier Aviation" Chapter 7 The Armoured Carrier.

In April 1936 designs X, Y (Unarmoured), Z & ZA were presented by the DNC which are detailed in the book. But Henderson wanted more speed than they offered (the early designs only offered 28-29 knots). So that was followed by W, WA and WB in June 1936, none of which have survived. From that came the final Illustrious design which was approved by the end of 1936.

The detail is in Friedman's "British Carrier Aviation" Chapter 7 The Armoured Carrier.

In April 1936 designs X, Y (Unarmoured), Z & ZA were presented by the DNC which are detailed in the book. But Henderson wanted more speed than they offered (the early designs only offered 28-29 knots). So that was followed by W, WA and WB in June 1936, none of which have survived. From that came the final Illustrious design which was approved by the end of 1936.
Thank you so much for letting me know! By the way, is the design only mentioned in the book? Or is it mentioned in other books?

Thank you so much for letting me know! By the way, is the design only mentioned in the book? Or is it mentioned in other books?
I’m not aware of the history leading up to the Illustrious class being set out in detail anywhere else. Hobbs certainly doesn’t in his book.

As I’ve noted before Friedman’s book is complementary to that of Hobbs when it comes to British Carrier design.

I’m not aware of the history leading up to the Illustrious class being set out in detail anywhere else. Hobbs certainly doesn’t in his book.

As I’ve noted before Friedman’s book is complementary to that of Hobbs when it comes to British Carrier design.
Then I have no choice but to buy the book. Anyway, thank you for the good information.

I just bought his book and read it, but as you said, there is no mention of the preliminary design.