Hydroland tank / Ocean tank

fortrena

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I came across these photos of an American "hydroland tank/ ocean tank" carried aboard USS Wyoming no later than February 1924, as part of "the greatest peacetime maneuvers ever held by the land, sea and air forces of the United States," or so some papers claimed. The submarine is apparently the S-20, BTW.

Besides the armament (75 mm Gun M1897) and speed (14 knots) of that tracked vehicle, I have found nothing about it, which probably means I am not looking in the right place.

Attachments

• Hydroland tank --- Ocean tank.jpg
    Hydroland tank --- Ocean tank.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Hydroland tank --- Ocean tank.jpg
    Hydroland tank --- Ocean tank.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
The Wikipedia entry for "J. Walter Christie" describes the 1924 testing of one of Christie's amphibious tank designs. "The tank was transported to the exercise area aboard the USS Wyoming (BB-32), and designated as "Marine Corps Tank (GC-2)". It was then hoisted aboard a waiting submarine prior to its launch toward the shore, then "As the "mother ship" submerged, the Christie tank proceeded to shore. Unable to maneuver through the heavy surf, the vehicle returned to the Wyoming without landing. The next day, when the surf had subsided, the Christie amphibian once again left its mooring aboard the submarine and made a perfect landing. Despite the fact that the vehicle came ashore after the exercise had been declared officially finished, Cole stated that the tank possessed the capability of being developed into an extremely valuable weapon, especially in association with landing operations."

I've attached a picture from the Getty website.

Video and photos of the tank in action can be found at:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 3.51.18 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-10-07 at 3.51.18 PM.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 60