Hydrofoils pre 1945

Raketyr

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
"Die Deutschen Schnellboote 1914-1945", published by Koehler. Please see the captured image.
The book has already arrived, thanks for the tip. It perfectly complements Fock's second book - Marine Kleinkampfmittel.
IMG_2709.JPG
I was secretly hoping that there would also be a sketch of the Schertel-Sachsenberg VS 13 rocket boat. I can't find it anywhere..

Last edited by a moderator:
OT, of course, maybe we will have to split this into an own topic ... ;)
(from Werner Hinsch and Klaus Sachsenberg "Tragflügelboote des Schertel-Sachsenberg-Systems")

1693403770240.png

"... Von dem Boot VS 13 (2029) liegt nur ein ebenfalls im Mai 1942 angefertigter Entwurfsgeneralplan vor. Äußerlich
fällt die große Ähnlichkeit des Bootskörpers mit der Bau-Nr. 1871 auf."
( Of the boat VS 13 (2029) only a general design plan is available, also made in May 1942 . Externally the great similarity of the hull with the Bau-No. 1871 is striking."

Propulsion was a "Luftstrahlantrieb" (air-jet-propulsion), a term used for turbo-jets, not for rockets.

OT, of course, maybe we will have to split this into an own topic ... ;)
(from Werner Hinsch and Klaus Sachsenberg "Tragflügelboote des Schertel-Sachsenberg-Systems")

View attachment 706983

"... Von dem Boot VS 13 (2029) liegt nur ein ebenfalls im Mai 1942 angefertigter Entwurfsgeneralplan vor. Äußerlich
fällt die große Ähnlichkeit des Bootskörpers mit der Bau-Nr. 1871 auf."
( Of the boat VS 13 (2029) only a general design plan is available, also made in May 1942 . Externally the great similarity of the hull with the Bau-No. 1871 is striking."

Propulsion was a "Luftstrahlantrieb" (air-jet-propulsion), a term used for turbo-jets, not for rockets.
Thank you very much for the drawing! I see VS 13 for the very first time.
I agree that this is already off topic here and I will be happy if a new topic is created, because I am very interested ;-)

Idroscivolante Rosicarelli
I hope you don't mind that it is not a German but an Italian boat. Does anyone know if there is a drawing from multiple views? Rosicarelli.jpg

This article gives you a great selection of early ones to choose from:

Then there's the WW 1 experimental quasi-hydrofoil / planning boat cum hovercraft the Versuchsgleitboot of 1915

http-_www.naval-encyclopedia.com_wp-content_uploads_2018_09_versuchsgleitboot.jpg

This article gives you a great selection of early ones to choose from:

Then there's the WW 1 experimental quasi-hydrofoil / planning boat cum hovercraft the Versuchsgleitboot of 1915
The Versuchsgleitboot was a hydroplane/air-cushion vehicle. But I have seen no evidence of it being a hydrofoil. A hydrofoil is a wing-like surface that produces lift when immersed in water at speed. The Versuchsgleitboot seems to have had a wide, stepped planing hull, with the step aerated by engine-driven blowers.

The Versuchsgleitboot was a hydroplane/air-cushion vehicle. But I have seen no evidence of it being a hydrofoil. A hydrofoil is a wing-like surface that produces lift when immersed in water at speed. The Versuchsgleitboot seems to have had a wide, stepped planing hull, with the step aerated by engine-driven blowers.
It's more of a winglike surface planning on the surface of the water.