Hughes XH-28

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Photographs of Hughes XH-28 mock up.

Source: Francillon, René J. McDonnell Douglas Aircraft Since 1920 Naval Institute Press 1990

Attachments

• HughesXH28.JPG
    HughesXH28.JPG
    107.2 KB · Views: 1,517
  • HughesXH28b.JPG
    HughesXH28b.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,359
Hughes XH-28, background, and Hughes XH-17, foreground, in the HK-1 assembly building (Bldg. 15) in Culver City, California. This 750-ft. long building still stands today. Please send me a PM if you want a higher resolution version of this photo (about 1.5MB). From the Hughes photo archive via Boeing Helicopters.

Attachments

• Hughes XH-17 & XH-28 sml.jpg
    Hughes XH-17 & XH-28 sml.jpg
    361.9 KB · Views: 1,339
Rare Kodachrome of Hughes XH-28 mockup in Building 15, Culver City. Tail rotor was for steering only -- no torque compensation is required on tip-eject gas rotor system. Note full-height "walk-in" access door on hot-cycle rotor hub.

Attachments

• Hughes XH-28 3-4 Front sml.jpg
    Hughes XH-28 3-4 Front sml.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 1,289
Front view of Hughes XH-28 in Building 15 (the Spruce Goose assembly hall). Exposed hot-cycle duct and hub mechanism are noteworthy. Anybody know what year, make & model of panel truck this is?

Attachments

• Hughes XH-28 Front sml.jpg
    Hughes XH-28 Front sml.jpg
    313.8 KB · Views: 1,123
Hughes factory model of XH-28A crane helicopter. This development variant had more powerful gas turbines, a three-bladed rotor (down from four) with a 60rpm rotation speed, plus twin tail rotors for more accurate load positioning. This project would have won Howard Hughes bragging rights for the world's largest airplane (the HK-1) and the largest helicopter of its day. The latter would also have likely been the noisiest.

Attachments

• Hughes XH-28 01 sml.jpg
    Hughes XH-28 01 sml.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 229
circle-5, thanks for all the great stuff! I feel it's almost Christmas now! ;D
That color picture of the XH-28 mock-up is simply stunning.

A higher definition, less cropped version of this picture, from the Hughes photo archive (via Boeing Helicopters). Gas turbines were never installed on the XH-28 mockup, but the port high pressure duct inlet to the rotor manifold is clearly visible in photo.

Attachments

• Hughes XH-28 Side sml.jpg
    Hughes XH-28 Side sml.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 199
Well, thank you for the pictures circle-5. Very, very interesting.

Does anyone know if a 3d view is available for this one? I think the answer is yes because the great 3d render which shows the crane.

Alcides said:
Well, thank you for the pictures circle-5. Very, very interesting.

Does anyone know if a 3d view is available for this one? I think the answer is yes because the great 3d render which shows the crane.

Correct me if I'm wrong, circle-5, but this is not a render, it's a desktop model!

circle-5 said:
Moderator: please re-title this topic to reflect both the XH-17 and XH-28 helicopters. Thank you.

No. These were separate programs which deserve separate topics.

The XH-17 can now be found here.

Hi,

here is a Hughes XH-28 helicoper desktop wood Model;

http://www.ebay.com/itm/XH-28-Hughes-XH28-Helicopter-Desktop-Wood-Model-Free-Shipping-Regular-/130939418908

Attachments

• XH-28.png
    XH-28.png
    124.6 KB · Views: 98
From Air Pictorial 10/1956,

there is a competition for US Army to design a heavy flying crane helicopter,the contractors
were;

- Flettner Model-?
- Kaman K-?
- Piasecki (maybe PA-1)
- Hiller Type-?
- Hughes Model-?

Was it realted to XH-28,or its competition or anther one ?.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    99.9 KB · Views: 74
Most likely one of those Asian made-to-order replicas... Nice-looking, anyway.

Thank you my dear Skyblazer,

I think that,I saw anther Model on ebay about it from long time ago.

The Hughes XH-28 was ordered in 1952 with a possible first flight date in October 1956. So, considering your reference is from 1956 I doubt there is that connection.

As far as the Piasecki PA-1 is concerned, a Piasecki document that I have describes it as: "..... heavy lift VTOL studies were performed for the Army including the movement of a 50 ton tank externally. A matrix of rotor/propulsion systems studies showed multiple shaft driven rotors were the optimum heavy lift configuration for the near term and a blade mounted turbo-jet system (PA-1) for the long term. The high development cost of the latter unfortunately dissuaded any further research effort."
The document does not have an illustration of he PA-1.
At about this time Piasecki had moved on from helicopters to VTOL aircraft.

As far as Flettner is concerned, as far as I know (from Dana Bells Directory of Airplanes and some other books, Flettner is a pre WWII German company. So somehow I fail to see how they can be considered to make large helicopters for the US Army in 1956. But may be I have missed something. Would not be the first time. :)
To be quite honest, some of these little snippets from old Air Pictorials seem to be rather irrelevant to the work we do, but that is just my opinions, for what it is worth.

Thank you my dear Jos,

and for Piasecki PA-1,maybe it was wrong,and for Flettner,he emigrated to USA in
1947,and had many projects there,please see;

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,22180.msg223300.html#msg223300

Hesham

Thanks for pointing out the Flettner connection - just shows that there is still so much to be discovered.

As far as the Piasecki PA-1 is concerned, I think you were right - the description in my Piasecki document fits the bill, IMHO. But, of course, it never got off the drawing board.

Yes -- carved to order just for you, in the Philippines. Each XH-28 model is unique, because no two are exactly alike!

Jos Heyman said:
The document does not have an illustration of he PA-1.

Here is one, however lousy the scan...

Attachments

• Piasecki PA-1.jpg
    Piasecki PA-1.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 379
Presentation model of the Hughes XH-28A crane helicopter -- the ultimate development of the original Kellett design.
Twin yaw-control rotors and final, 3-blade main rotor are visible here. The model's main rotor was over 4-ft. in diameter and mounted on ball bearings.

Photo was scanned from the model maker's offset-printed advertising flyer (Time Miniature Displays in Burbank, a.k.a. Southwick Models), to explain the poor quality. Southwick was a model contractor for Convair, NAA, Hughes, Northrop, Lockheed, Radioplane and others.

Attachments

• Hughes XH-28B Model.jpg
    Hughes XH-28B Model.jpg
    458.9 KB · Views: 360
circle-5 said:
Presentation model of the Hughes XH-28A crane helicopter -- the ultimate development of the original Kellett design.
Twin yaw-control rotors and final, 3-blade main rotor are visible here. The model's main rotor was over 4-ft. in diameter and mounted on ball bearings.

Photo was scanned from the model maker's offset-printed advertising flyer (Time Miniature Displays in Burbank, a.k.a. Southwick Models), to explain the poor quality. Southwick was a model contractor for Convair, NAA, Hughes, Northrop, Lockheed, Radioplane and others.

You describe this images as "XH-28A" in your post but labeled the file as "XH-28B". Please clarify... Thanks.

XH-28B is my typo. AFAIK, the never was such a variant. The catalog lists the model as XH-28A.

circle-5 said:
XH-28B is my typo. AFAIK, the never was such a variant. The catalog lists the model as XH-28A.

That's more like it. Thanks.

Image found on the internet of what appears to be the XH-28 transporting a DSRV type submersible. Edit- image moved to the Hughes XH-17 listing - Kellett/Hughes XH-17 Flying Crane -https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/hughes-xh-28.8671/post-649801

Last edited: