How important are bubble canopies and mirrors nowadays and in future designs?

helmutkohl

ACCESS: Top Secret
Staff member
Reaction score
Some questions about the direction of canopy design.

For a while, it seemed like bubble canopies were preferred as they gave pilots superior all-around vision. the P-51 mustang had it,
and modern jets like the F-16 and Typhoon have it.

But there seems to be a trend where newer planes no longer utilize it. the F-35, Su-57, etc
Even the J-20 which has a bubble canopy, has ditched it in its latest variation below

I assume that they are doing away with them for the sake of aerodynamic or stealth performance?
is having near 360 vision no longer needed?
b5dbb643-7d3b-4499-ae1c-f7b69fd9cfb6-jpeg.187033

On a similar note, some canopies don't have mirrors i notice, such as the F-16

abcapc.jpg

the F-15 has three (from DCS).
how important are they? and how does the F-16 cope with not having them?
I would assume that for fighters with poorer rear views like the F-35, mirrors become more important, but it seems the F-35 also doesnt have mirrors?
ymzibujrbj781.png

If you are trying to carry an unbroken RF wave then a smoother canopy shape is pretty important.

Some mainstream carmakers are moving away from using rear windows for the sake of aerodynamics and weight with cameras and other sensors to compensate. Polestar's 4 and 5 for example, and Jaguar's upcoming EV saloon/GT is also supposed to have no rear window. The trend started with the replacement of rear view mirrors by camera systems and in fact the Volkswagen XL1 was designed that way over a decade ago. Consumers seem willing to look at screens placed approximately where the mirrors used to be and even look at a synthetic bird's eye view on a central screen for parking manoeuvres. I guess it beats craning your neck to look past the headrest and screaming brats in the back seat to get a view distorted by sloping glass and no wider than a letterbox slit. The only problem is that you lose depth perception with a 2-D screen, which isn't an issue at the ranges of air combat.

Attachments

• polestar-4-25.jpg
    polestar-4-25.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 7
  • 99-polestar-5-preview-side-pan-2022.jpg
    99-polestar-5-preview-side-pan-2022.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 04-2014-volkswagen-xl1-fd.jpg
    04-2014-volkswagen-xl1-fd.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 7